“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#21 Aug 7, 2013
LW1 - we double screen - Caller ID AND answering machine... if we don't recognize a number, we might maybe listten for the machine to pick up... amazing how many messages we actualy get from people we don't know. and our dentist swithced to a text messaging/emailing reminder system, so we don't even hear frm them any more.

LW2 - Ask them to join you if that's possible (out for your daily stroll?) or tell tehm to set a date for lunch or coffee or whatever. if those don't work, quit answering the door.

LW3 - my mom is lucky enough to be retired while dealing with my gramma, but i don't knwo what i'm going to do wiht my parents wehn they lose their minds... hoping to find a good facility that will take them & their insurance that's close enough to run over several times a week. i'm pretty much counting on having to wrok until i keel over.

“reign in blood”

Melrose Park, IL

#22 Aug 7, 2013
Answering machine? Is that hooked up to your rotary dial phone?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#23 Aug 7, 2013
Stina wrote:
I only like the surveys where I go to the marketing company for an hour or 2 and get paid to participate. I got a call for one the other day and it was like $150 for an hour an a half, but they were looking for parents of small children to survey about kids' products. I've made some nice extra spending cash over the years doing this and it's interesting and fun. It's basically participating in a focus group. ANd they usually give you sandwiches and snacks beforehand. Except when I did the one on instant mashed potatoes. They just gave us cookies then. I guess they wanted us to eb hungry enought to sample all those potatoes!!!
One I did back then was going to a grade school and got the kids to eat some cereal and then had to ask them how they liked it. Was really fun. Can't even imagine that something like this would be allowed now. And funny how there was never a mention of allergies..
Another was sponsered by Pillsbury where we gave a group of women a cake mix, they had to go home and bake a cake and bring it back. It was then smashed by the reps to check out the texture.
Those were sure better then the phone surveys.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#24 Aug 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
I have verizon digital voice and it is AWFUL! It takes literally 10-15 minutes to check calls and messages. It locks up all the time, it makes me refresh old messages I want to save. Terrible! I just went back to an answering machine a week or two ago. I walk in and hit the play button, hear my messages and go. I don't have to go to a menu, wait for the machine, refresh calls, etc. Answering machines are WAY better!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#25 Aug 7, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
One I did back then was going to a grade school and got the kids to eat some cereal and then had to ask them how they liked it. Was really fun. Can't even imagine that something like this would be allowed now. And funny how there was never a mention of allergies..
Another was sponsered by Pillsbury where we gave a group of women a cake mix, they had to go home and bake a cake and bring it back. It was then smashed by the reps to check out the texture.
Those were sure better then the phone surveys.
I've participated in quite a few and really hads fun! One was for a local news station, one for a radio station, one for lawn sprayers... good times!

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#26 Aug 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
ROFLMAO

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#27 Aug 7, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
L3: WTF is wrong with these people? They should at least get her an invisible fence and a shock collar so she can go outside.
You're brilliant! Or how about attaching her to a zip line in the back yard? Problematic in winter, though... but it IS Florida.

But seriously, locking someone in from the outside doesn't sound a 100% legal. LW should call the authorities or at least elder care services or something.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#28 Aug 7, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I have verizon digital voice and it is AWFUL! It takes literally 10-15 minutes to check calls and messages. It locks up all the time, it makes me refresh old messages I want to save. Terrible! I just went back to an answering machine a week or two ago. I walk in and hit the play button, hear my messages and go. I don't have to go to a menu, wait for the machine, refresh calls, etc. Answering machines are WAY better!
I don't think he's so much making fun of the answering machine itself, but the fact that there's a landline to connect it to.(At least that's what I was making fun of in my head). If I had a land line, I too would use an answering machine vs paying a monthly fee for a voicemail service.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#29 Aug 7, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
You just had a crappy VM service. You should really look into something else. My mother has one of those digital answering machines where you don't have to worry about tape or anything, but still, even that's not quite as good IMO. My sister still has an answering machine and I give her crap about it every time. It's even more odd because she's always about the latest technological new thing. She got the ipad when it first came out, the ipad mini, the nook, wii, you name it. But still has an old-school answering machine. Come on, get with the times, Grandma!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#30 Aug 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
If I had a land line, I too would use an answering machine vs paying a monthly fee for a voicemail service.
I find that rather odd, coming from YOU, the almighty techno, digital is the new paper, film, cassette, dvd, you name it Tonka.

Do you even own a pen and paper?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#31 Aug 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I find that rather odd, coming from YOU, the almighty techno, digital is the new paper, film, cassette, dvd, you name it Tonka.
Do you even own a pen and paper?
Well young Padawan, this may also surprise you, but digital ain't that new. I have not had a land line in over 10 years, but my old answering machine is still in a box in my closet somewhere...and its digital. Tapeless.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#32 Aug 7, 2013
Anyone else stop listening to VMs on your cell?
It shows me who called and when I'd use my minutes to call in, the messages would inevitably be, "Hey, it's [#/name on missed list]-call me!"

What a waste of time/energy.

Of course, I don't even text, so what do I know?
I rarely get calls and it's just how I like it!

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#33 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
It shows me who called and when I'd use my minutes to call in, the messages would inevitably be, "Hey, it's [#/name on missed list]-call me!"
If you rarely get calls, and rarely make calls, then why are you complaining about using your minutes to check voice mail? I would think you'd have an abundance of minutes available if you use the phone as infrequently as you say you do.

Des Plaines, IL

#34 Aug 7, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
and we get to hear what craziness my MIL is carrying on about! Can't do that with voicemail!

Des Plaines, IL

#35 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
i'll do that at work, sometimes... "hey, saw you called, but didn't listen to VM if you left one; what's up?'

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#36 Aug 7, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i'll do that at work, sometimes... "hey, saw you called, but didn't listen to VM if you left one; what's up?'
That seems backwards to me. I'd be more likely to listen to the VM if I'm at work and give a callback without listening if I'm not. I don't like having personal phone conversations while at work(though I will email, IM, and interact on Topix without a second thought.)

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#37 Aug 7, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
I poured my heart out to you and gave you the winning lotto numbers and you didn't even listen!!?

But yeah, I kinda feel ya. I would usually just call the person back. But 1) since I have an abundance of minutes (300 but I normally use about 50 or less a month, mostly thanks to texting) I'll go ahead and listen anyway. And 2) if it's a number I don't recognize or missed a call from my boss or something, I'll give a listen to learn what's up.

So, I guess in answer to your question, no.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#38 Aug 7, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I poured my heart out to you and gave you the winning lotto numbers and you didn't even listen!!?
But yeah, I kinda feel ya. I would usually just call the person back. But 1) since I have an abundance of minutes (300 but I normally use about 50 or less a month, mostly thanks to texting) I'll go ahead and listen anyway. And 2) if it's a number I don't recognize or missed a call from my boss or something, I'll give a listen to learn what's up.
So, I guess in answer to your question, no.
I'll check it every so often to clean them up. ;)
I have minutes but it is such a waste of my time!
Yeah, if I don't recognize the number, it will not get answered.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#39 Aug 8, 2013
Unless I recognize the #, it goes to VM and I will listen to it there. I dont answer the phone for a # I dont know.
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll check it every so often to clean them up. ;)
I have minutes but it is such a waste of my time!
Yeah, if I don't recognize the number, it will not get answered.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#40 Aug 8, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You just had a crappy VM service. You should really look into something else. My mother has one of those digital answering machines where you don't have to worry about tape or anything, but still, even that's not quite as good IMO. My sister still has an answering machine and I give her crap about it every time. It's even more odd because she's always about the latest technological new thing. She got the ipad when it first came out, the ipad mini, the nook, wii, you name it. But still has an old-school answering machine. Come on, get with the times, Grandma!
It's Verizon Fios, so it's bundled phone (digital voice with VM), computer and TV. Computer and TV are fine. Phone is fine, it's just the answering service part that stinks. So the answering machine picks up before digital voice and it's much better!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min bob53 1,567,824
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 21 min Alyssa76 11,039
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 3,672
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques in Ottawa 242,130
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 3 hr BIG Lie Continues 9
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 3 hr Coverup And Bombs 13
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... 5 hr Willie G 69

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages