Pack of pit bulls attacks woman on So...

Pack of pit bulls attacks woman on Southwest Side

There are 26 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 10, 2008, titled Pack of pit bulls attacks woman on Southwest Side. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When a pack of pit bulls attacked a woman Thursday in Chicago's Marquette Park neighborhood, Cristian Hidalgo tried to beat them back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck

United States

#1 Apr 11, 2008
Those dogs should be banned from the city...they're violent by nature and unsafe to have in an urban environment.
sam

Chicago, IL

#2 Apr 11, 2008
Chuck wrote:
Those dogs should be banned from the city...they're violent by nature and unsafe to have in an urban environment.
You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. No specific breed is violent by nature. There are dogs that are more powerful yes, but any dog, including a golden retriever can become violent if trained improperly. Get some facts (and not statistics about pit bull attacks, because that falls under improper care and training by their HUMAN owners). Breed banning does not work! Pit bulls are loyal extremely intelligent dogs, who with proper care and training can be one of the best breeds for their owners. Get a clue!
mousey

Loves Park, IL

#3 Apr 11, 2008
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
You have absolutely no idea what your talking about. No specific breed is violent by nature. There are dogs that are more powerful yes, but any dog, including a golden retriever can become violent if trained improperly. Get some facts (and not statistics about pit bull attacks, because that falls under improper care and training by their HUMAN owners). Breed banning does not work! Pit bulls are loyal extremely intelligent dogs, who with proper care and training can be one of the best breeds for their owners. Get a clue!
Right. Like the chihuahua attack I read about the other day, and all those bichon frise attacks we're always seeing in the news.
Welfare Queen

Chicago, IL

#4 Apr 11, 2008
If pit bulls weren't dangerous, why is it that 90% of dog attacks are pit bulls? You don't hear of a lab attacking children. Kill em all.
sam

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 11, 2008
mousey wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Like the chihuahua attack I read about the other day, and all those bichon frise attacks we're always seeing in the news.
Actually many small dogs attack and bite, we don't hear about it in the news because 1. the Demographic that owns such dogs and 2. They're small dogs, their attacks are hardly newsworthy, especially when its the new cause to hate the pit bull. 20 years ago it was the german shepard and the doberman pincher that should be banned. Now its the pit bull. In a canadian study the dogs most likely to attack the ranking went German Shepard, Cocker Spaniel, Rottweiler and Golden Retreivers. Golden Retrievers and Labs ranked second in the Netherlands (behind Rottweilers) for attacks on humans. The purebred dogs most implicated in bites, the German Shepard and the Chow Chow.
sam

Chicago, IL

#6 Apr 11, 2008
(continued)
Pit bulls and Rottweiler types do account for half of dog bite fatalities because if they do bite they are more likely to cause harm because of the power of the breed. That is no reason to ban the dog mind you. At least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in 238 human dog bite fatalities (this according to a CDC study) Should we ban all 25 of these breeds. The truth of the matter is that breed specific banning does not work because of the difficulty in determining breeds/cross breeds. Especially in the pit-bull where there is not general agreement on what specific breed a pit-bull is. I have known many pit bulls and they have been the best dogs I've ever encountered, gentler, smarter and sweeter than even my own miniature wiener dog and all the golden retreivers I've ever met. Pit bulls also have higher statistics of attack due to the manner in which they are bred and raised, to be violent fighting dogs. It is and always will be the owners responsibility in determining how their dog turns out.
sam

Chicago, IL

#7 Apr 11, 2008
Welfare Queen wrote:
If pit bulls weren't dangerous, why is it that 90% of dog attacks are pit bulls? You don't hear of a lab attacking children. Kill em all.
Oh you don't hear about a lab or retriever attacking children, hmmmm maybe you should do some research before you open your uninformed mouth. Please check out www.nbc30.com/news/4274785/detail.html You might also want to google Labrador or golden retriever attacks and see what you come up with. You're naive and incredibly stupid if you actually believe pit bulls are the only dogs that have ever bitten anyone. I've been bitten my a shizu(spelling?)for goodness sake. I've never encountered any problems with a pit bull
HereWeGoAgain

Chicago, IL

#8 Apr 11, 2008
Here's another link re: dog bites.
http://www.4pawsu.com/bite.pdf

Turns out other breeds bite too.
slavador

Midlothian, IL

#9 Apr 23, 2008
i hope you feel better you sould sue the owner!!!!!!!!!!
jessica

Edmonton, KY

#10 May 7, 2008
i agree i have four pits and they are just big babies
jessica

Edmonton, KY

#11 May 7, 2008
why do people hate pitbulls so much anyways they are just big old pets if they are trained right and some can me violent if treated bad.
Cheryl

Los Angeles, CA

#12 May 12, 2008
you have got to be kidding me right/!!! Pit Bulls ARE, ARE ARE by nature killers because their forefathers have been bred that way. They are unpredictable and you don't know what will happen when you're in the company of one. I am so afraid sometimes to walk my Lab and Boster Terrier with my 7 year old son because of fear of one of the 4 pits in my neighborhood might get loose from their owner and attack!!!
Cosmo

Jersey City, NJ

#13 May 12, 2008
Their forefathers? LOL.

Save a life. Rescue a shelter pit.
Elroy

United States

#14 May 12, 2008
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so full of sh** I can't believe it. Yeah, I've experienced pit bulls first hand and every single one of them is aggressive, if not violently aggressive. Defenders are so full of crap it makes my ears bleed just listening to them. Kill them all off!!!
Elroy

United States

#15 May 12, 2008
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually many small dogs attack and bite, we don't hear about it in the news because 1. the Demographic that owns such dogs and 2. They're small dogs, their attacks are hardly newsworthy, especially when its the new cause to hate the pit bull. 20 years ago it was the german shepard and the doberman pincher that should be banned. Now its the pit bull. In a canadian study the dogs most likely to attack the ranking went German Shepard, Cocker Spaniel, Rottweiler and Golden Retreivers. Golden Retrievers and Labs ranked second in the Netherlands (behind Rottweilers) for attacks on humans. The purebred dogs most implicated in bites, the German Shepard and the Chow Chow.
Alright, fine, I'll play Devil's advocate, pit bulls aren't any more likely to attack than any other dog. Now, what about the damage they do when they attack??? You said yourself they're more powerful than other breeds so, there's your reason to ban them.
hunter 13

United States

#16 May 12, 2008
sam wrote:
<quoted text>
BS.-All dogs were bred for a specific purpose.Pit bulls were bred to be strong and aggressive. My beagle will trail any critter and he has never had a day of training.His breed was bred for trailing/hunting and that's exactly what he does. As a matter of fact, my neighbors pit bull who was a family pet, got into my yard and attacked my Beagle. The attack cost me $350.00 plus i had to shoot the pit bull because he would not release his grip from my dogs neck. My dog is now doing fine and the Pit is somewhere pushing up daisies. Hell yes they're naturally aggressive.
Shelby in WI

Eau Claire, WI

#17 May 14, 2008
I've listened and listened to the propaganda from Pit Bull advocates who say they are sweet dogs, and who only become violent if they are trained to be that way. I've tried to believe it, but no more. A friend of mine has had a pit bull for over four years and raised that dog since he was a puppy. She did everything right and NEVER did anything to teach the dog to be violent, quite the opposite. In four years the dog appeared to be very quiet and sweet.
Then last week the dog was in the fenced back yard of my friend's home. A four year old boy walked by and reached in through a small hole in the fence to pet the dog. The dog went crazy and attacked the child through the fence. That poor boy lost one of his pointer fingers all the way down to the hand and the tendons in his middle finger were severely damaged.
I firmly believe now that all Pit Bulls should be banned. They are dangerous animals.
Fool

Waltham, MA

#18 May 14, 2008
If a Pit Bull can do this, just think what a cougar on the loose will do.
hunter 13

United States

#19 May 15, 2008
Fool wrote:
If a Pit Bull can do this, just think what a cougar on the loose will do.
No cougars or other big cats around my area but plenty pit bulls. The majority are owned by young black males.
jro

Maywood, IL

#20 Sep 13, 2012
the woman attacked is my friend. no one here speaking on behalf of the dogs has ever been or has known someone they care about attacked by such dogs. stop acting like you know what these animals are prone to, it is like russian roulette you don't know which are gonna flip on you one day even if you are the owner you are at risk! of course you continue to speak on behalf of the animal..but until you or your love one has had a piece of them tore out you won't know any better. until you feel it for yourselves you won't know...i wish you would listen and heed the warnings others give..their pain and voice should not be in vain :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,745,236
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 23 min Julia 12,221
News 'It's just really strange': Who is beheading th... 4 hr test 6
Trump is A 8 hr CrunchyBacon 581
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr CrunchyBacon 105,470
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 9 hr Julia 1,063
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 hr loose cannon 243,399

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages