First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#1 Apr 2, 2014
DEAR ABBY: I have been with my current boyfriend for a year and a half and I love him dearly. However, I often find myself drawn to other guys who I know are nothing but trouble. It never goes further than simple flirting, but I still feel guilty for doing it when I'm in a relationship. How do I keep myself from temptation?-- HARD TO RESIST

DEAR HARD TO RESIST: Temptation to do what? To involve yourself with a man who is nothing but trouble? A way to discourage that would be to ask yourself how you would feel if you lost your boyfriend. That would be a high price to pay for acting immaturely.

However, if you're asking how to overcome the IMPULSE, my advice is to have an honest conversation with yourself about why you feel the need. Most of the women (and men) who act this way are constantly trying to prove to themselves that they are attractive. If this could be you, then start working on your self-esteem, because if you don't, I predict you'll ruin a good relationship.

DEAR ABBY: I'm in my 50s and overweight. I work hard, eat three meals a day and am -- more or less -- healthy except for sore feet after work. I'm aware of the medical warnings. Who isn't? But I have decided to accept myself as I am, relax and be happy.

For years I have been hard on myself for not being slim. This is me in my 50s. I don't expect myself to be slim like I was in my 20s. Now I can smile, breathe easier, have a good time, and finally buy the new clothes I have put off buying until I was thinner. My new spirit is weightless and my new attitude has made my life more meaningful. Any thoughts?-- LIVING FREE AT LAST

DEAR LIVING FREE: Only this, that we all have choices to make about our health, what is important to us and how we want to live our lives. You have made yours, and at this point it appears to have been the right one for you. May it ever be thus.

DEAR ABBY: My husband has a paralyzing fear of driving over bridges. It interferes with our life together. He is otherwise healthy, but will not see a therapist for this problem.

We have been married for 27 years. I am 63 and he is 67. I am very sad that our life is so limited. Any advice?-- LANDLOCKED IN VIRGINIA

DEAR LANDLOCKED: It would be interesting to know how your husband developed this phobia. But because he refuses to do anything about it and you feel restricted, consider traveling with another companion.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#2 Apr 2, 2014
L3. It is common knowledge that America's infrastructure is deteriorating. Unlike the Roman aquaducts which can last indefinitely, many modern-day bridges have a life-span of less than 50 years and require perpetual maintenance to keep them in ship shape
Why, even the M35 bridge collapse over the Mississippi River is still fresh in many people's memories.
Maybe the old guy should talk with a structural engineer instead of a therapist.

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Apr 2, 2014
LW3 - Can he cross bridges if someone ELSE is driving? Simple; you drive!
If he can't cross them at all, that could be a problem.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 2, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
DEAR ABBY: I have been with my current boyfriend for a year and a half and I love him dearly. However, I often find myself drawn to other guys who I know are nothing but trouble. It never goes further than simple flirting, but I still feel guilty for doing it when I'm in a relationship. How do I keep myself from temptation?-- HARD TO RESIST
DEAR HARD TO RESIST: Temptation to do what? To involve yourself with a man who is nothing but trouble? A way to discourage that would be to ask yourself how you would feel if you lost your boyfriend. That would be a high price to pay for acting immaturely.
However, if you're asking how to overcome the IMPULSE, my advice is to have an honest conversation with yourself about why you feel the need. Most of the women (and men) who act this way are constantly trying to prove to themselves that they are attractive. If this could be you, then start working on your self-esteem, because if you don't, I predict you'll ruin a good relationship.
DEAR ABBY: I'm in my 50s and overweight. I work hard, eat three meals a day and am -- more or less -- healthy except for sore feet after work. I'm aware of the medical warnings. Who isn't? But I have decided to accept myself as I am, relax and be happy.
For years I have been hard on myself for not being slim. This is me in my 50s. I don't expect myself to be slim like I was in my 20s. Now I can smile, breathe easier, have a good time, and finally buy the new clothes I have put off buying until I was thinner. My new spirit is weightless and my new attitude has made my life more meaningful. Any thoughts?-- LIVING FREE AT LAST
DEAR LIVING FREE: Only this, that we all have choices to make about our health, what is important to us and how we want to live our lives. You have made yours, and at this point it appears to have been the right one for you. May it ever be thus.
DEAR ABBY: My husband has a paralyzing fear of driving over bridges. It interferes with our life together. He is otherwise healthy, but will not see a therapist for this problem.
We have been married for 27 years. I am 63 and he is 67. I am very sad that our life is so limited. Any advice?-- LANDLOCKED IN VIRGINIA
DEAR LANDLOCKED: It would be interesting to know how your husband developed this phobia. But because he refuses to do anything about it and you feel restricted, consider traveling with another companion.
lw3: move to somewherr eith less/no bridges

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#5 Apr 2, 2014
3 Tell him to close his eyes when he goes over a bridge.

Neda, stay with me!

#6 Apr 2, 2014
1 You want to be a bad girl, may as well give into it now and get it out of your system.

2 Your happy, good for you tubby.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#7 Apr 2, 2014
2. LW wouldn't be writing to an advice columnist if she was happy with her decision. She is looking for affirmation that its okay to be fat . Of you are till looking for affirmation, there remains a voice i your head that says you should be thinner.

3. Tonka- there is no place without bridges. There are overpasses over the interstate that qualify as a bridge in the middle of the Nebraska flatlands.

There are drugs that help lessen agoraphobia type anxieties- my mom takes one- klonopin as I recall. It helps some and does not require therapy.

LW's other alternatives are to drive or go places by herself

Location hidden

#8 Apr 2, 2014
LW1: How old are you? Maybe you are too young to settle down.

LW2: I think you have to be realistic with yourself. If you aren’t going to put in the effort that a lot of folks must to be healthy, then just accept yourself for who you are, be happy, and enjoy life, as you have finally chosen.

LW3: Oh my. I would be teased mercilessly by every man I was friends or family with if I were such a wuss.

My dad got claustrophobic on the Back to the Future ride at Disney or Universal in Florida. They had to stop the ride and let him off and we all still laugh our a$ses off about it and give him shyte for it. It was sooooo funny. Even my wife laughs about it and she wasn't there.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#9 Apr 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Or just stuff his @zz in the trunk

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#10 Apr 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
2. LW wouldn't be writing to an advice columnist if she was happy with her decision. She is looking for affirmation that its okay to be fat . Of you are till looking for affirmation, there remains a voice i your head that says you should be thinner.
3. Tonka- there is no place without bridges. There are overpasses over the interstate that qualify as a bridge in the middle of the Nebraska flatlands.
There are drugs that help lessen agoraphobia type anxieties- my mom takes one- klonopin as I recall. It helps some and does not require therapy.
While they might be srchitecturally similar, when I drive on an overpass, I don't think of it that I'm driving over a bridge. To me, a bridge suggests water.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#11 Apr 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
additionally, she signed the letter, "landlocked in virginia" which also suggests to me that his issue is driving over water.

Neda, stay with me!

#12 Apr 2, 2014
Thats cause your a FL boy.
Up North, bridges go over water, valley's, train tracks...All kinds of places.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>While they might be srchitecturally similar, when I drive on an overpass, I don't think of it that I'm driving over a bridge. To me, a bridge suggests water.

Neda, stay with me!

#13 Apr 2, 2014
I dont recall Virginia being an island?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>additionally, she signed the letter, "landlocked in virginia" which also suggests to me that his issue is driving over water.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#14 Apr 2, 2014
RACE wrote:
I dont recall Virginia being an island?
<quoted text>
who said it was? Lakes? Rivers? Her close suggests to me that she's essentially landlocked cause she can't cross any body of water.

Neda, stay with me!

#15 Apr 2, 2014
I'm sure there lots ways to get around without going over a bridge, just have to be a little creative is all.

Personally I'd blindfold the old coot.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>who said it was? Lakes? Rivers? Her close suggests to me that she's essentially landlocked cause she can't cross any body of water.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#16 Apr 2, 2014
LW1: Low self-esteem.

LW2: Bully for you.

LW3: Drugs, though for which of you I'm not sure.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#17 Apr 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>While they might be srchitecturally similar, when I drive on an overpass, I don't think of it that I'm driving over a bridge. To me, a bridge suggests water.
Fair enough . I drove over that bridge at Tampa a couple times when it was windy and was freaked out and those things generally don't bother me.
blunt advice

Jersey City, NJ

#18 Apr 2, 2014
1. Some people fantasize about a love affair with a bad boy. Others about robbing a bank. Others might fantasize about being the next Jeffrey Dahmer. But the difference is that normal people don't act on those thoughts. So don't act on yours. Unless be dumps you or you find out he cheats.
2. I'm also 50 and have accepted the fact I can't dress like my dauighters. The big momma clothes shops have accepted it too.
3. Lw must live in the Roanoke VA Beach area. I remember years ago as a travel agent a customer wanted a map routed to go X country without going over bridges. Guess it's a uncommon but existing phobia.

Location hidden

#19 Apr 2, 2014
FTW Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah the gear oil is easy..Only thing is it takes forever to drain. My advice, is put the lower in the sun for awhile and give it a good half hour+ to drip. Make sure you got the right gear oil too. Manual and electronic shift needs different formulations. I'm guessing you got of those plastic pumps that go right ontop of the oil jug. If you got the ones with the plastic threads for the LU careful because they cross thread very easily. It's easy but get ready for a small mess on your hands. If you see metal on your magnet or "milk" get it checked.
Evinrude or Mercury?? My Big boats a center-counsel with a 150 Ocean-Pro Evinrude. Mid '90's before they made that FICHT crap.. Yeah boats are great except at the gas pump.. 40 gallon tank at $4.50 a gallon and maybe 5MPG, plus the two stroke oil...>OUCH<
Thanks for the advice. That will come in handy.

It’s a Mercury. I have a nitro tracker 18’.

I made sure I got the right kind of oil. I got the Mercury branded kind … Quick Silver. There were two kinds of lower unit oil, one for HP under 90 or 75, I think, and a “high performance” kind for bigger motors. I made sure I got the “high performance” kind.
Yes, I got a plastic pump that goes right on top. Thanks for the heads up on the cross threading.

I would be surprised to see any milk, but I will keep my eyes peeled. I really haven’t hit anything with it. I did hit some sand onetime with my propeller and it chewed it up, just ever so slightly … I sent the propeller in right away to get refinished after that. I know even a slight imbalance can cause you some problems. For under 100, maybe under 50, I got it returned back to OEM condition. It’s a stainless steel propeller. Those run at least 400+.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few small pieces of metal (I’ve seen a few small flecks when I change the fluids on my Harley, but nothing outrageous), but if there is a lot, I will need to get it serviced.

Yes, the gas is a killer on the wallet. I wish it didn’t need premium too. We do a lot of lounging on the lake, tho, and just chilling with friends. So, it’s not too bad. It’s always a nice day out with the family. It’s our normal weekend summer routine, at least one day.

People say boats are a lot of work, but if you maintain them and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty, you can do most everything yourself, especially with the internet and boating forums nowadays.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#20 Apr 2, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the advice. That will come in handy.
It’s a Mercury. I have a nitro tracker 18’.
I made sure I got the right kind of oil. I got the Mercury branded kind … Quick Silver. There were two kinds of lower unit oil, one for HP under 90 or 75, I think, and a “high performance” kind for bigger motors. I made sure I got the “high performance” kind.
Yes, I got a plastic pump that goes right on top. Thanks for the heads up on the cross threading.
I would be surprised to see any milk, but I will keep my eyes peeled. I really haven’t hit anything with it. I did hit some sand onetime with my propeller and it chewed it up, just ever so slightly … I sent the propeller in right away to get refinished after that. I know even a slight imbalance can cause you some problems. For under 100, maybe under 50, I got it returned back to OEM condition. It’s a stainless steel propeller. Those run at least 400+.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few small pieces of metal (I’ve seen a few small flecks when I change the fluids on my Harley, but nothing outrageous), but if there is a lot, I will need to get it serviced.
Yes, the gas is a killer on the wallet. I wish it didn’t need premium too. We do a lot of lounging on the lake, tho, and just chilling with friends. So, it’s not too bad. It’s always a nice day out with the family. It’s our normal weekend summer routine, at least one day.
People say boats are a lot of work, but if you maintain them and aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty, you can do most everything yourself, especially with the internet and boating forums nowadays.

Whee did this come from?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 28 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,153,947
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 49,187
kalyan single jodi callll-08339890226 5 hr susil bhai 1
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 6 hr joey 86
428 homicides in 2013 7 hr joey 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 hr Sunshine 181,798
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 10 hr Roxie Darling 361
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr cheluzal 98,851
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News