First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#21 Dec 3, 2013
RACE wrote:
I dont think it would have made it to being "old" a previous generation would have gotten rid of it.
<quoted text>
Tastes are subjective, RACE and can change drastically over a hundred years. I know we have some gawd-awful stuff that we keep around only because they are antiques and heirlooms.

Some of the paintings are just dreadful, so they live in my mom's guest-bedroom closet. But because they might be worth something, someday, they are kept. And believe me, if she thought that she could pawn some of this stuff off on me, she'd do it in a heartbeat. The two I tried to take are so bad that my husband won't let me hang them. Now they're in a bin in the basement.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#22 Dec 3, 2013
Thats what I'm saying. 100yrs is 5 generations, I think if it was godawful, it would have been pitch by generation 3 the latest.
The fact that its still around after 5 shows it to be something of some quality.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Tastes are subjective, RACE and can change drastically over a hundred years. I know we have some gawd-awful stuff that we keep around only because they are antiques and heirlooms.
Some of the paintings are just dreadful, so they live in my mom's guest-bedroom closet. But because they might be worth something, someday, they are kept. And believe me, if she thought that she could pawn some of this stuff off on me, she'd do it in a heartbeat. The two I tried to take are so bad that my husband won't let me hang them. Now they're in a bin in the basement.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#23 Dec 3, 2013
RACE wrote:
Thats what I'm saying. 100yrs is 5 generations, I think if it was godawful, it would have been pitch by generation 3 the latest.
The fact that its still around after 5 shows it to be something of some quality.
<quoted text>
Quality does not equal aesthetically pleasing. The paintings we have are from known artists and may in fact be worth something, that does not mean they are not butt-ugly. The only reason we have so much of this stuff left is that my ancestors recognized that these things may have value beyond looks.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#24 Dec 3, 2013
LW1: First of all, you need to make a clean break with your ex. He's no good in so many ways. Secondly, NO, do NOT tell his new woman anything. She's in the starry-eyed phase and she won't believe you anyway. She will either come out of the starry-eyed phase slowly or be jolted out of it, but in any case, your job is to extract yourself from this going nowhere relationship and butt out of his other one.

LW2: So they regifted the vase to someone who appreciates it/has room for it. If YOU wanted it, you would have kept it. Say nothing, it has found a good home.

LW3: Bright pink.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25 Dec 3, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Quality does not equal aesthetically pleasing. The paintings we have are from known artists and may in fact be worth something, that does not mean they are not butt-ugly. The only reason we have so much of this stuff left is that my ancestors recognized that these things may have value beyond looks.
This. Just because generations past liked an item does not mean generations future will. I like sleek modern furniture. Old antique looking stuff would be way out of place in my house.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#26 Dec 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I like sleek modern furniture. Old antique looking stuff would be way out of place in my house.
And a hundred years from now, your sleek modern furniture will be old looking and way out of place in your great grandkid's home. But it may be considered an antique. And the kitchen table their grandfather was conceived on might hold some sentimental value and possibly a financial one.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#27 Dec 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And a hundred years from now, your sleek modern furniture will be old looking and way out of place in your great grandkid's home.
Huh? You really need to stop sniffing glue. What does that have to do with anything? I have no expectation that any of my furniture will be handed down from generation to generation. I expect that when I die, the kids will keep what they like and trash/sell the rest.
edogxxx wrote:
And the kitchen table their grandfather was conceived on might hold some sentimental value and possibly a financial one.
If you have sentimental attachment to a table because your grandfather was conceived on it, again I say, stop sniffing glue.

This LW was not upset that the kid gave away a vase with monetary value. She was upset because it had sentimental meaning TO HER, but not to him. Son is not a bad son for not feeling the same way about it. To him, it a vase. Had she not given it to him, it would have ended up at goodwill when he cleaned the house out after he died.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#28 Dec 3, 2013
I like sniffing glue. This isn't about who was conceived on what or how it looks, it's about an item that has been in the family for three hundred years and has been passed down for generations. It would be just as bad if he donated it to goodwill as giving it to a hobo, let alone inlaws. It belongs in the family. He can keep it in a closet and pass it down to his kid. Who can then do the same. That's how it goes.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#29 Dec 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
I like sniffing glue. This isn't about who was conceived on what or how it looks, it's about an item that has been in the family for three hundred years and has been passed down for generations. It would be just as bad if he donated it to goodwill as giving it to a hobo, let alone inlaws. It belongs in the family. He can keep it in a closet and pass it down to his kid. Who can then do the same. That's how it goes.
"That's how its goes" is not good enough for me. If I WANT an item, then I'll be happy to keep it. If not, I have no duty to pass it on. If no one in the next generation sees any value in your item, that's where it ends. I don't keep crap in my house that amounts to unwanted clutter.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#30 Dec 3, 2013
LW1 - wow, a family more f'd up than my SIL! violence (threatened)- check. back taxes owed - check. inability to let him go - check. new gF - check.

at least SIL isn't talking to her (now officially) ex.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Obama is a joke 1,418,695
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Dr Guru 222,460
last post wins! (Apr '13) 51 min Hatti_Hollerand 1,471
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 59 min Go Blue Forever 103,453
Chicago has the Worst Women 1 hr Go Blue Forever 55
Can you believe how pathetic this place is? 1 hr Ebby 1
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 1,936

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages