“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 8, 2013
DEAR AMY: I have been married for 14 years and have two children. My husband travels out of state every week for work. Seven months ago I found out he was having an affair with a woman who lived about an hour and a half from the city he travels to. For the sake of our family, I told him I’d forgive him, and he ended the affair.

The other woman and her husband divorced. Occasionally, I look her up online. I just saw a public post she made about how she’s moving to the same city that my husband travels to each week.

I’m feeling worried and suspicious that this isn’t a coincidence. I’d like to just ask my husband about this, but I am worried that if he truly has had no contact with her, I’d be courting trouble by providing him with this information. Should I stay quiet and just keep a watchful eye on him for signs of cheating, or should I share my concerns with him?-- Worried Wife

DEAR WORRIED: This series of events seems more than coincidental.

If you and your husband are truly going to reconcile and move forward with a clean slate, you have to be emotionally intimate with each other. This is especially important following an affair.

Two things must happen: You need to be honest with him about your fears and suspicions, and he needs to be completely transparent about everything — all of his social media, e-mail, phone, etc. Transparency does not guarantee anything; it is very easy to hide contact (especially given his travel schedule), but being open with you will demonstrate his desire to build back the trust he took from the relationship. With infidelity there is no “presumed innocence.” The burden of proof is on the perpetrator.

If he is unaware that this woman is moving to his work city (doubtful), then he needs to know now because he must not have any contact with her and should also avoid all of her efforts to contact him.

Most likely he does know she is moving. And so now he will know that you know too.

DEAR AMY: Two or three times a year I get back to the city where I used to live and touch base with old friends. There is one, in particular, who I enjoy seeing. She has a great sense of humor, and we have lots of memories to share.

Here is the problem. She is a “foodie,” and we usually get together over a meal. I can actually see the change come over her as a waiter or waitress approaches the table. She is rude and condescending and always complains about the food. No matter how fine the restaurant, the food is never good enough, and the waiter, who has innocently asked if everything is okay, gets a nasty earful.

The last time we were together, she ending up taking her third meal (the first two were “not good”) home with her. Many times, on the pretense of having left something behind, I have gone back into a restaurant to apologize to wait staff. And I can’t tell you how many times I have left way more than my share of a tip to say “sorry!” I am not sure where, besides over a meal, we could meet for an hour or two of conversation. What do you think?-- Fed Up

DEAR FED UP: You can tell her,“You don’t seem to have a good time when we eat out, so let’s go for a walk instead.” You can meet at a park, window shop, go to a museum or have a cup of coffee or a cocktail. From the sounds of it, the farther you keep her from wait staff, the better for your friendship.

DEAR AMY:“Conflicted in the Heartland” wondered about disclosing his political differences with his wife on Facebook. In your answer, you said that clicking “like” on Facebook does not imply an endorsement, only that you have read the post. I disagree. I only click “like” if I actually like something!-- Facebook Fan

DEAR FAN: Most respondents agreed with you.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#2 Dec 8, 2013
L2 You judge a person's character by how they treat people who can do nothing for them, alternatively how they treat those in their power.

Your friend does not have a good sense of humor nor is she a foodie. She is a snob,condescending and arrogant.

It is good that you like her: she needs to see someone a couple times a year.

Brownie points to you for being considerate of the waitstaff, but after the second time that happened I would have confined meetings to McDonalds- she probably trashes the barista at Starbucks too.
Cass

Claremont, CA

#3 Dec 8, 2013
LW1 - Your husband knows this information already. And if he doesn't, how would you be courting trouble? If he managed to stay out of touch with the woman, he can summon up enough fortitude to stay out of touch even if she lives in the same city where he travels. If he hasn't (which he hasn't!), he is continuing his affair, and she is moving for their mutual convenience. Yeah, tell your husband you know. Then talk to a divorce attorney.

LW2 - Your friend is not a nice person. And she is not a foodie. Foodies tend not to go to restaurants where they know they won't like the food. And they tend to research restaurants before they go. Do anything with her but eat out. Well, maybe a coffee shop where you order at the counter and take it to your own table will be okay, if she agrees.

LW3 - Yep, Amy was nuts. Clicking "like" means you are agreeing.

Since: Dec 09

Smalltown, Colorado

#4 Dec 8, 2013
LW2 - Your friends isn't a foodie, she is a bully. Why are you even making contact with her? I have a feeling no matter where you met with her, she would cause trouble.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 8, 2013
LW1: Put a gps tracking program on his phone and monitor where he's going. Call him to chat. See if you catch him in a lie. If you do, hire a PI to get proof.

LW2: What makes your friend a foodie? Being a picky pain in the ass with the waiter? If that happened to me with someone I considered a good friend, I would tell them straight out, "I am not meeting you for dinner. You become a complete dick with the waiters and I am embarrassed to be at the same table with you."

lw3: Cause most respondents understand the English language and know the definition of "like".
Kuuipo

Salinas, CA

#6 Dec 8, 2013
LW1: Team Amy. Forgiving him is one thing. Going into denial is quite another. You need to know what's going on. If he has a problem with that, oh, well! You should get into marriage counseling also.

LW2: There's no way I would dine with this nutcase.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min well 50,657
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 38 min jacques Ottawa 179,477
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,127,252
Amy 10-24 2 hr your poor wife 15
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr Wolverine33 654
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Ratloder 68,672
Rattlesnake Logic 6 hr i need a bump to 22
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]