pde

Bothell, WA

#21 Feb 6, 2014
VAdame wrote:
<quoted text>We did that with our kids too.
My opinion on this -- very much based on my memories of MY childhood -- is that most kids know the difference between "pretend" -- movies, TV shows, cartoons, etc.; and "real life" -- i.e., The NEWS!
The only real rule we have in our house is that if the movie is based on a book, the book must be read before the movie is watched.

The 7-year-old has both read all 7 Harry Potter books, and seen all 7 movies. We read them together as a family over a few months--taking turns reading each book aloud in the evenings then we watched each movie once we finished the novel. If you can't handle the content in the book, you're definitely not ready for the movie.
pde

Bothell, WA

#22 Feb 6, 2014
RACE wrote:
Are you suggesting the the catholic church is responsible for what is shown on television?
<quoted text>
No, she's just saying that it's hilarious that many of the same people who are afraid of their kids seeing immoral behavior on the screen--which is generally presented as fantasy/fiction--are undisturbed by their kids being presented immoral behavior as shown in the bible/religious history.

I remember in second grade, having to research the stories of saints and finding one to take as our personal "patron".(Catholic school, obviously.) Lots of gory stories about stonings and beheadings and torture. And supposedly, they were all real stories! I drew a picture of St. Cecilia being beheaded as part of an assignment. I think in public school nowadays, that might get a second grade expelled.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#23 Feb 6, 2014
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
But PG13 doesn't mean that kids under 13 shouldn't watch the movie. It simply means that parental guidance is recommended for those under 13 and that parents are recommended to either prescreen the movie for appropriateness or watch it with their under-13.
I guess I never thought of it like that. I still like the idea that she has something to look forward to, though. And, I *HAVE* let her see a couple.

Funny thing is that my daughter *HATES* bad language. She didn't want to watch Men In Black once they said "God D**n It" and she loved Beetlejuice but decided it was "boring" the second she heard the F word. Not that she never hears it in other places. SHe's heard friends say it (she's told me about it) and heard people in public say it. But when she can control her own exposure to it, she wants no part of it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#24 Feb 6, 2014
pde wrote:
<quoted text>

It's not an "making an exception" (to what?) for a parent to allow an under-13 to watch a movie rated PG-13.
By exception, I meant also to my own set of rules.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#25 Feb 6, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text> She wasn't being an exception, you were making your own judgement calls on the movies' ratings. That's why they have them, so the parents CAN make the call.
Thanks! I guess you're right!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#26 Feb 6, 2014
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
The only real rule we have in our house is that if the movie is based on a book, the book must be read before the movie is watched.
The 7-year-old has both read all 7 Harry Potter books, and seen all 7 movies. We read them together as a family over a few months--taking turns reading each book aloud in the evenings then we watched each movie once we finished the novel. If you can't handle the content in the book, you're definitely not ready for the movie.
I'm amazed at the differences in kids of similar ages.

My 8 year old would be terrified by Harry Potter (book or movie) and have nightmares and such, yet your younger child has no problems. Lulu's best friend, who is only slighly older, loves the Lord of the Rings movies, but I know that one look at an Uruk-Hai would send Lulu screaming from the room.

<mimishrug> She's a sensitive girl and I try to respect that. My dad told me a long time ago that his mind made up enough scary sh!t on it's own, it did not need the help of scary movies. Well, her's certainly doesn't need any help either!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#27 Feb 6, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I never thought of it like that. I still like the idea that she has something to look forward to, though. And, I *HAVE* let her see a couple.
Funny thing is that my daughter *HATES* bad language. She didn't want to watch Men In Black once they said "God D**n It" and she loved Beetlejuice but decided it was "boring" the second she heard the F word. Not that she never hears it in other places. SHe's heard friends say it (she's told me about it) and heard people in public say it. But when she can control her own exposure to it, she wants no part of it.
There's an F-bomb in Beetlejuice? I don't remember that at all...

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#28 Feb 6, 2014
I've told this story before but feel it bears repeating given the discussion at hand.

Probably been about eight or nine years ago now, but my girl at the time and I were turned away from an R-rated movie because she had her BABY with her!(Why was a dating a girl with a new baby, you might not ask? Well, I knew this girl since Jr high. She got knocked up in Arizona by some deadbeat and moved back to Illinois to live with her parents. Our mothers worked together, so we ended up getting together.)

Anyway, my jaw hit the floor when they refused to sell us tickets. After the shock wore off, the anger set in. I reminded them that an R rating meant no one under 17 could be admitted WITHOUT PARENTAL SUPERVISION. Apparently, they have a "no tolerance" policy.

I started screaming. They had to open another register because a line was forming and I wasn't moving or taking no as an answer. I got a couple of stink eyes. But I was arguing with these people.

It was one of those theaters in the mall so eventually a cop on patrol heard the commotion and showed up. I was thinking that by making such a stink and disturbing other customers, they would relent and let us into the dam theater. NOPE. They wouldn't budge.

So, I guess it's up the the theater to enforce that policy. Complain to the manager if you have a problem with it. But if they don't do anything, there's not much you can do either.

As an aside, I went to the Mayhem Festival (SLAYER!) the other summer and was surprised at the number of kids and even toddlers I saw. And that venue is MUCH worse than an R-rated movie! But apparently they don't have any age restriction.(But god-forbid you have a beer in the parking lot! Tailgating was not permitted.)

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#29 Feb 6, 2014
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
No, she's just saying that it's hilarious that many of the same people who are afraid of their kids seeing immoral behavior on the screen--which is generally presented as fantasy/fiction--are undisturbed by their kids being presented immoral behavior as shown in the bible/religious history.
I remember in second grade, having to research the stories of saints and finding one to take as our personal "patron".(Catholic school, obviously.) Lots of gory stories about stonings and beheadings and torture. And supposedly, they were all real stories! I drew a picture of St. Cecilia being beheaded as part of an assignment. I think in public school nowadays, that might get a second grade expelled.
Yes, thanks -- that's exactly what I was talking about!

After all, in our churches there are images of a hot guy in a diaper, being whipped and *nailed to a cross* all over the place! No wonder we're disturbed! <g>

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#30 Feb 6, 2014
VAdame wrote:
After all, in our churches there are images of a hot guy in a diaper, being whipped and *nailed to a cross* all over the place! No wonder we're disturbed! <g>
Wow. What an offensive and blasphemous thing to say.

I have been inside of several Catholic Churches and have never seen such an "image." I understand my own experiences are not indicative of all churches everywhere, but your obvious hatred of Christianity is readily apparent. Were you molested by a Nun or something?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#31 Feb 6, 2014
I honestly find your caricature of the crucifix offensive. I dont care if you dont follow the faith of the crucifix, but why do you get to mock it?
You're supposed to be all about tolerance and acceptance, but you show none it. But FSM forbid I say something offensive.

I just think you should practice what you preach. I'm not religious, but several people here are, and I think they deserve better. When I learned the Cycle had a gay brother, I toned down my use of slang terms about gay's because it finally hit me that what I was saying was belittling his brother. So I toned it down as a show of respect.
VAdame wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, thanks -- that's exactly what I was talking about!
Linkman

United States

#32 Feb 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been inside of several Catholic Churches and have never seen such an "image." I understand my own experiences are not indicative of all churches everywhere, but your obvious hatred of Christianity is readily apparent. Were you molested by a Nun or something?
In "Google Images" search "jesus on cross in a church". You'll see what she's talking about. Take out the faith part of it in your mind and the "holy" part you project in the image and just look at the pictures.

They're pretty gruesome when you look at them in a non-religious way.

“Where is Tonka?”

#33 Feb 6, 2014
yeah and when you take islam in a literal sense you can see why they are called terrorists, but of course stating such an obvious fact is totally PC incorrect.
You cant separate them, and to do so is to try and destroy what their faith is built upon.

A book that justifies killing people just because they dont worship your diety is a pretty gruesome book in any language doncha think?
Linkman wrote:
<quoted text>
In "Google Images" search "jesus on cross in a church". You'll see what she's talking about. Take out the faith part of it in your mind and the "holy" part you project in the image and just look at the pictures.
They're pretty gruesome when you look at them in a non-religious way.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#34 Feb 6, 2014
1: There is NO reason you even needed to answer the phone from this man. Your kids are grown. I'm all for being "friends" for the kids but I'm a bigger proponent of boundaries. You're ex'ed for a reason.

Don't put your anger over him on your kids. He's their dad and they have probably been fed lies.

2: As an educator, MYOB is not so easy with impressionable kids. I have learned some moron "parents" need to be told. Yes, I have spoken up and gotten on to misbehaving children when their parents don't seem to. I figure, you're offending me in public, I can call you out.

I would have a hard time watching a 10 y/o watching that movie (doubt I'd be watching it). I wish they wouldn't let them in.....people are dumb and raise dumbs.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#35 Feb 6, 2014
RACE wrote:
yeah and when you take islam in a literal sense you can see why they are called terrorists, but of course stating such an obvious fact is totally PC incorrect.
You cant separate them, and to do so is to try and destroy what their faith is built upon.
A book that justifies killing people just because they dont worship your diety is a pretty gruesome book in any language doncha think?
<quoted text>
I dunno. I believe you can ask questions on any religion and ask why things are like this or that and what they believe. Looking at the religion is different than vilifying the actual people.

Well, take Christianity strictly at face value and the whole crusades was about killing.

If you can't have a discussion about a religion, strictly has an outsider may see it, I personally feel you can't be that faithful. I would think those would welcome the outsider looking at things, asking questions. I would think it would be that window of opportunity to explain WHY things are that way.

I grew up in an absolutely Catholic environment -- Catholic school and all. Never did understand why Catholicism taught their followers to vilify those who had religions where they had idols and how wrong that is b/c it wasn't in their way -- yet each Easter we had to do the Stations of the Cross to a whole bunch of statutes or a whole procession and give flowers to Mary and idolizing her and statutes were everywhere in the Church with candles before them.

Never did get a straight answer on that one.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#36 Feb 6, 2014
I'm late to the party.

My opinion of the MPAA rating system ca be summed up this way:

Lion King involves murdering your brother so you can be King and letting your nephew think it is his fault. It is G rated

Frozen which involves a person who hides on a mountain because she is afraid her magic powers will hurt people is rated PG.

Go figure
pde

Bothell, WA

#37 Feb 6, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm amazed at the differences in kids of similar ages.
My 8 year old would be terrified by Harry Potter (book or movie) and have nightmares and such, yet your younger child has no problems. Lulu's best friend, who is only slighly older, loves the Lord of the Rings movies, but I know that one look at an Uruk-Hai would send Lulu screaming from the room.
<mimishrug> She's a sensitive girl and I try to respect that. My dad told me a long time ago that his mind made up enough scary sh!t on it's own, it did not need the help of scary movies. Well, her's certainly doesn't need any help either!
Heck, I can't watch Lord of the Rings.

My husband put it on, and the kid lasted until the dark horseman came after the Hobbits and dashed.
pde

Bothell, WA

#38 Feb 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to Catholic school, you get exposed to a lot of "art" which when its religious context is ignored, is pretty disturbing and vulgar/violent. Even as a kid, I wavered between what was supposed to be the religious awe and regard, and OMG WTF?

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#39 Feb 6, 2014
I don't hate Christianity. And I *DO* follow it.

“Where is Tonka?”

#40 Feb 6, 2014
Then why does your christ wear diapers? Were Huggies all the rage back in 32BC?
Sorry, but I would take offense to such an observation of the man who gave his life to cleanse my soul and give me the keys to heaven. IMHO
VAdame wrote:
I don't hate Christianity. And I *DO* follow it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,745,236
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 23 min Julia 12,221
News 'It's just really strange': Who is beheading th... 4 hr test 6
Trump is A 8 hr CrunchyBacon 581
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr CrunchyBacon 105,470
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 9 hr Julia 1,063
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 hr loose cannon 243,399

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages