of 2
Next Last

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#21 Dec 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Even in the Twin cities, we have bike couriers but only for interdowntown messenger service--the bike messengers stay in one city, they don't work in both Mpls and St. Paul on the same day. Otherwise, all couriers are vehicles.
And in some cities (Seattle, San Francisco) they have them but their territory is very limited due to all of the hills. It's just not practical to have bike messengers trying to climb steep hills. More so in SF than Seattle, but still...
Sam I Am

Knoxville, TN

#22 Dec 26, 2012
1. Is your wife thin-lipped? Often if a man looks at something the woman feels it's because he views it as a shortcoming of hers. I like Abby's idea, but don't lose the bigger picture: Why your wife was checking your browser history in the first place. And don't let her off the hook. Solve that and everything else will improve by association.

2. This letter was ghost-written, but if a child is in this situation, they should get 10 friends, tie this guy down in his sleep and pummel him with an array of different objects, then lacerate him by sawing his skin with very thin strips of leather, then smother him in jalapeno juice and salt, then heat up an iron and touch it to his skin on a different spot on his body for 3 seconds at a time every 10 seconds so he can continually experience pain, relief and dreadful anticipation.

3. It doesn't matter. He can always agree, then just take it off when he's out of range. And guess what? He can not wear his seatbelt. And he can drink too much. And he can do lots of other dangerous things. You cann't fix the symptom, you have to fix the problem, and that is to do you best to give him an overall good sense of judgment. That's not something you can do with a visit to a trauma center, that is something you do every day.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#23 Dec 26, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
but don't lose the bigger picture: Why your wife was checking your browser history in the first place. And don't let her off the hook. Solve that and everything else will improve by association.
Absolutely right.
Julie

Chicago, IL

#24 Dec 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the ones who were involved in an accident or got knocked off their bike and got a head injury. I was against mandatory bike helmets for kids until I read how much damage can occur just from a kid falling off his bike and his head hitting the pavement. It's just not worth the life-long debilitating injuries that can result.
10 yrs ago, the 12-yr-old nephew of a close friend of mine hit a bump while riding his bike; he fell and hit the pavement. He wasn't wearing a helmet. He died a few hours later in the ER. His family has been completely destroyed. Always, always, wear a helmet.
Anonymous

Plant City, FL

#25 Dec 26, 2012
edogxxx wrote:
3- No adult today has ever worn a bicycle helmet as children and guess what? WE'RE ALL FINE!
Yeah, but many weren't and aren't here to talk about it.
I culd show you pics of my brother with half a skull because of no seatbelt.
He's surely not fine.
No, a rehab tour is crass (I was explicit my cousin NOT post pics of my bro to be gawked at on FB) but it is an eye-opener.

Location hidden

#26 Dec 26, 2012
Julie wrote:
<quoted text>
10 yrs ago, the 12-yr-old nephew of a close friend of mine hit a bump while riding his bike; he fell and hit the pavement. He wasn't wearing a helmet. He died a few hours later in the ER. His family has been completely destroyed. Always, always, wear a helmet.
I was totally on the side of "helmets are uncool." Then I saw a news segment on how little distance a fall hast o be in order to ruin a child's life. Imagine how it affects the parents, siblings, etc. If that can be avoided by people making their kids wear helmets, awesome.

i have mixed feelings on various adult protection laws, but for kids? Some need to be protected from their own stupid parents. If that means we tend to err on the side of overprotectiveness with statutes (and I believe that we DO over do it, no kid has unending monetary value), so be it.
Anonymous

Plant City, FL

#27 Dec 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the ones who were involved in an accident or got knocked off their bike and got a head injury. I was against mandatory bike helmets for kids until I read how much damage can occur just from a kid falling off his bike and his head hitting the pavement. It's just not worth the life-long debilitating injuries that can result.
It certainly is not!
I had a high school friend fall off the back of a golf cart barely doing 20 and he just bumped his head on the sidewalk and was dead before he reached the hospital.
Look at Liam Neeson's wife....you never screw with your head. NOT worth it--trust.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#28 Dec 26, 2012
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly is not!
I had a high school friend fall off the back of a golf cart barely doing 20 and he just bumped his head on the sidewalk and was dead before he reached the hospital.
Look at Liam Neeson's wife....you never screw with your head. NOT worth it--trust.
Also, your head doesn't all fuse together until you're about 25-30. Most people don't realize that once the "soft spot" is gone that there's still a lot of fracture points in the skull because the brain needs to grow to adult size, therefore the skull needs to grow as well. Look at a picture of a skull and all of the suture lines between the different bones...That's one of the tools forensics people use to determine age of remains, just one, but a significant one. Yup yup.

Mimi, your friendly neighborhood anthro geek...

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#29 Dec 26, 2012
That's right, Mimi.
And don't forget about the foramen magnum.
Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I like the sound of it.
Foramen Magnum......

You know, Tonka's right. I spent a lot of time in the ER and the ICU's and stuff and the staff doesn't want people around that don't need to be there.
I remember years ago, judges would sometimes sentence convicted drunk drivers to community service in the ER, but like I said, the staff didn't want them there. I'm not sure if they still do that or not.
They were basically useless except for being a gopher.

Location hidden

#30 Dec 26, 2012
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly is not!
Preach it!

I hope you had a very nice Christmas!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Teaman 1,127,214
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Beavis 179,467
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 24 min Cali Girl 2014 50,650
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 33 min Grau 68,670
Rattlesnake Logic 1 hr i need a bump to 22
food for thought 1 hr reality is a crutch 2
John Wick Brings Stylish Bloody Mayhem to Chica... 2 hr Culture Auditor 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance