First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#22 Feb 20, 2014
2: It's been 3 years since your godmother died. What is WRONG with you? If you're still all that upset, go find a grief support group. I understand that people grieve in different ways but this is way too much. Was your godfather supposed to fall onto his wife's funeral pyre?
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#23 Feb 20, 2014
Whoops. I realize the lw did not say the man was her(his?) godfather. His wife was her godmother. Oh well, the mistake does not change the intent of my comment.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#24 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
She said she was a single mother. She never said she was a DIVORCED mother
Two things you need to put on your to do list...

Get a neck up check up and get snipped...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25 Feb 20, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
I get the impression that a woman or man who is raising kids alone without a partner is called a "single parent." It doesn't matter whether he/she's divorced, widowed, or never married. The point is, there is no other parent in the picture taking care of the child/children on a regular basis. I'm not sure whether a single parent (divorced) having shared/joint custody of kids would be considered a single parent but then again, if they're divorced, they're single. I'd like to hear some input from others on this topic. I could be totally off-base.
My take is divorced(& not yet remarried) is a subset of single. My old boss was divorced. I've always considered her a single mom.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#26 Feb 20, 2014
Pippa wrote:
Whoops. I realize the lw did not say the man was her(his?) godfather. His wife was her godmother. Oh well, the mistake does not change the intent of my comment.
'My godfather, "Jim," remarried last year.'
Blergh

Nashville, TN

#27 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Single mother could mean everything from her having never been married, divorced or even WIDOWED but just not currently wed to her children's father/s.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#28 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, what vile names do you have for single, not divorced FATHERS?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#29 Feb 20, 2014
I'll agree that "single mom" can range anywhere from divorced, widowed, or never married. But it's her wording. She's a single mom dating a "divorced" man. Why didn't she say she was also divorced? Or widowed?

Also, she's in her early thirties and her youngest is 7. That means she had her last child in her mid twenties. Now if she's had four, five kids, she had to have gotten married at around 18, and popped out a kid every year. It's possible, but I don't find it likely. And it's also possible that only two of the kids are hers and her bf has the larger family. But I also don't find THAT likely. A thirty-something woman thinking of marrying a man 20 yrs her senior is likely looking for security. I know I'm speculating but I'm going with instinct. My instinct also tells me that not all her kids have the same dad. So as offensive as my description of her sounds to you, I'm sticking by it.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#30 Feb 20, 2014
Kuuipo wrote:
Regardless, what vile names do you have for single, not divorced FATHERS?
Poor saps who got tricked into fatherhood by desperate women looking for a meal ticket

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#31 Feb 20, 2014
This is actually a good point. Not that I agree she is a bar tramp, but the wording is indicative of a never married woman.
edogxxx wrote:
I'll agree that "single mom" can range anywhere from divorced, widowed, or never married. But it's her wording. She's a single mom dating a "divorced" man. Why didn't she say she was also divorced? Or widowed?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#32 Feb 20, 2014
RACE wrote:
This is actually a good point. Not that I agree she is a bar tramp, but the wording is indicative of a never married woman.
emutt, changing the world's opinion one poster at a time...

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#33 Feb 20, 2014
yeah, hold your breath for that to happen.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
emutt, changing the world's opinion one poster at a time...
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#34 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor saps who got tricked into fatherhood by desperate women looking for a meal ticket
What do you call the man who fathered 30 children by 11 different women?
edogxxx

Orlando, FL

#35 Feb 20, 2014
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call the man who fathered 30 children by 11 different women?
Daddy

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#36 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Daddy
Player!

What do you think of the 11th woman who let him knock her up after he'd had so many kids with 10 others? And before you say "maybe she didn't know", well, gee, don't you think she SHOULD have known what type of man was knocking her up?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#37 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Also, she's in her early thirties and her youngest is 7. That means she had her last child in her mid twenties. Now if she's had four, five kids, she had to have gotten married at around 18, and popped out a kid every year. It's possible, but I don't find it likely. And it's also possible that only two of the kids are hers and her bf has the larger family. But I also don't find THAT likely. A thirty-something woman thinking of marrying a man 20 yrs her senior is likely looking for security. I know I'm speculating but I'm going with instinct. My instinct also tells me that not all her kids have the same dad. So as offensive as my description of her sounds to you, I'm sticking by it.
I think your instincts are taking you in the wrong direction.

If she still wants another child, odds are she has 2 presently. If it was only one she'd have said something about an only child. In the same vein if she was widowed, I think she would have used that term rather than single.

This letter does not sound like a woman who has accumulated multiple baby daddies although ot is unlikely her kids' father is in the picture much

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#38 Feb 20, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, strike a nerve?
No. I just disagree with you.

The strength of your insults are diluted when they are thrown around indiscriminately.

Try thinking well of someone first and badly only after proof. It is much more pleasant.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#39 Feb 20, 2014
She could have twins and only been pregnant once and she gives no clue as to who has how many children. You have no basis on which to assume she's popping out babies left and right except your own bias.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min VetnorsGate 1,568,467
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Chicagoan by Birth 242,190
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 11,054
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 1 hr PRECC 12
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 14 hr They cannot kill ... 15
pep boys baja sc50 (Jul '07) 17 hr Stupid 60
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 17 hr Sublime1 105,225

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages