First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 09

Smalltown, Colorado

#21 Sep 25, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>that's between 2 parties other than me. I would feel no more responsibility to make it right than if i saw a stranger steal it. In a perfect world, mom would be out $15 for buying the item. In leiu of that, making it right for the store = making it wrong for me. Why punish myself for someone else's crime?
Sometimes you do things because it is good karma. I have been rewarded for this a thousand times in my life (and I am old).

Since: Dec 09

Smalltown, Colorado

#22 Sep 25, 2013
RACE wrote:
Glad you're ok. That pond of yours must be huge now.
<quoted text>
Yes, I have water-front property again. Ha! You guys have dodged the hurricane season so far this year, haven't you? I think the water you haven't seen made its way north and west to us.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#23 Sep 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
L2 The problem is that "step dad" is not married to mom. Therefore although he should be an honored guest, I don't think he should be on the invitations. When it come to formal ceremonies if you want a public role,you need to be either related by blood or adoption or related by marriage. Step dad may have been with mom for the last 11 years but they don't think it was important enough to get married.If bio dad were not in the picture at all, I might feel differently
Oh good grief. It isn't even the invitation. It's the stupid program. Get rid of the thing; same some trees and a lot of money, and don't worry about it. There is no need to explain to everyone there just who everyone is and what kind of connection you have to them.
I'm not big on the wedding industry anyhow, but dumb things like programs are definitely not something worth writing a letter to ask advice.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#24 Sep 25, 2013
You are right. I missed that she is writing a wedding program rather than the invitations.
FWIW the only time I have seen wedding programs have been at church weddings, and as I think of it at Catholic weddings only. From you comment I assume they show up elsewhere. If there is a religious officiant wouldn't he/she have some say about who and what goes in a program ?

How is LW going to handle the invitation wording? Same issue.
Kuuipo

Marina, CA

#25 Sep 25, 2013
LW1: Team Shari and Sublime. If mom is a true klepto, she needs professional help. Good luck convincing her of that when you are miles and miles away.

LW2: The reason to include the not-quite-stepdad is that he may be co-hosting the wedding. I've seen invitations that also include the groom's parents names. If the couple is hosting their own wedding, the invitation could read:

Jane Smith and Micheal Adams along with their parents, Wendy Smith and Bob Jones, John Jones, and Susan and Christopher Adams request the honor of your presence, etc...

Wordy, but I've seen it done.

LW3: Fourth rehash, if I am counting correctly. "Woman, if you want to keep that arm, you better get it off my husband."

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#26 Sep 25, 2013
PEllen wrote:
You are right. I missed that she is writing a wedding program rather than the invitations.
FWIW the only time I have seen wedding programs have been at church weddings, and as I think of it at Catholic weddings only. From you comment I assume they show up elsewhere. If there is a religious officiant wouldn't he/she have some say about who and what goes in a program ?
Wedding i was just at was outdoors on the family farm... they had programs. and, as an aside, the DJ mangled the names when the bridal party had their grand entrance into the reception. 1/3 from each family (one wiht an unusual but east to pronounce name), and he mangled some first names too. MOB was *not* happy.

Oh, it was downstate; i waved at Edogg & Mathilda on the roadtrip...

Location hidden

#27 Sep 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
I think they have been a part of every wedding that I have been to for the last ten years, at least, and for the few that I have been that involved with, the officiant didn't have anything to do with them. B and G just made them and had ushers handing them out at the door. Officiant was involved with arranging the ceremony itself, but not the programs.

Ideally, they are paying for their own wedding, so the wording on the invitations could be BRIDE and GROOM, along with the families, invite you to share their joy blah blah blah, and eliminate all the drama and hurt feelings.

By the way, my "good grief" was directed at LW, not you.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#28 Sep 26, 2013
itser wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, my "good grief" was directed at LW, not you.
Oh good, now I can go in teh bathroom and smooth down my ruffled eathers. ;-)~

Location hidden

#29 Sep 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh good, now I can go in teh bathroom and smooth down my ruffled eathers. ;-)~
Well, it sounded a little rude to me when I reread it.

:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dr Guru 234,671
News Women's March in Chicago: Crowd too big to marc... 45 min GiveThem40Whacks 4
Are democrats destroyed? 54 min Dead As LBJ-JFK-RFK 269
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr OzRitz 1,483,973
"Wooden Girl" a bit Weird 3 hr Gotta Luv Her 2
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 2,192
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 62,986

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages