“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1 Jun 27, 2013
DEAR ABBY: My husband has moved our motor home into our driveway and lets our 8-year-old grandson and the neighborhood boys play inside without supervision. I am furious about it because they can -- and often do -- mess up a whole lot of stuff, and worse, it leaves us open for a lawsuit if anyone gets hurt!

I can't convince him that it's not OK to let the boys play inside. Actually, I think he knows it, but our grandson only has to whine or cry and my husband folds. Can you help me get through to him?-- CONCERNED GRANDMA IN TEXAS

DEAR CONCERNED GRANDMA: I probably can't do much better than you, but I'm willing to bet that your family lawyer and your insurance agent can. Notify them about what's going on, and let them tell your husband what the consequences will be if anything unforeseen should happen.

DEAR ABBY: I have started working at a cafe. My best friend works there, and she helped me get the job. I work with her often, and when I ask questions, she keeps doing stuff for me and won't let me learn. I have to learn by doing.

When I go home, I feel like I'm not good at it, and I start missing my co-workers from my old job. I miss my old work because we had so much fun and always goofed around.

I don't know how to enjoy my new job, and I get all quiet around my friend because she obviously realizes when I'm not doing something right. How do I keep up a good attitude or tell her she's driving me crazy?-- SAD GIRL IN UTAH

DEAR SAD GIRL: A way to change your attitude would be to stop asking your friend to coach you. People have different learning styles. Obviously, yours is not the same as your friend's. The person who should be teaching you is your boss. Because new routines take practice to master, have him or her show you the ropes so you can mirror what that person is doing.

DEAR READERS: After I printed the letter from "Can't Believe It Down South" (May 13), about the grandfather who is insisting that his granddaughter's Greek fiance change his last name "because it is too long and impossible to pronounce," I loved what you had to say. Some of your comments made me laugh, so I'm sharing them with you:

DEAR ABBY: I saw the letter from "Can't Believe It," and I have just the response for him:

"Dear Grandpa: Don't worry. With the wedding eight weeks away, you will have plenty of time to learn to say 'Mrs. Papageorgiou.'

"By the way, we have decided on the reception menu: spanakotyropita, tsipouradika and kolokythoanthoi, all washed down with ouzomezedhes." -- GET YOUR OWN NAME

DEAR ABBY: Many years ago, my cousin was a rabid Burt Reynolds fan. Her friend, a flight attendant, was on the same plane as Burt, so she asked him for an autographed photo for my cousin. Burt spelled her name wrong, and when my cousin saw it, she said, "Oh, well. I don't mind changing the spelling for HIM!" -- "ABBDICT" IN GERMANY

DEAR ABBY: Dang! That granddad sure is a pain in the Acropolis.-- GENE OF AQUITAINE

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Jun 27, 2013
L1: That'd be like letting kids play in an empty house unsupervised. Unless you're checking on them regularly, since they have a history of being rough on the RV, the RV should be locked.

L2: So TELL your friend, "Don't do this for me, tell me how to do it." OR don't ask your friend for help at all. Ask someone else, ask the manager.

L3: When Burt Reynolds gets cast well in a movie, he can be GREAT.(Deliverance, Boogie NIghts.) Loved him on "My Name is Earl" as Norm MacDonald's dad. PErfect casting.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#3 Jun 27, 2013
1 $100 bucks says those kids set that thing on fire. Gramps is an asshat. Make him clean the trailer and maybe he will get a clue.

2 JOBS ARE NOT FUN! Get that thru your pretty little head righ now. Know why your not at your last job? CAUSE YOU GOOFED OFF! Learn that there is a reason they pay you to do those tasks, cause it's work, not play! I bet you stand around and like OMG!. Here's what you go. Go there on your day off and watch how things go. Just watch, nothing else.

3 Old peeps are funny sometimes. Un-invite him.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#4 Jun 27, 2013
L2. Our bosses don't train anybody. We often consider them dead weight anyway.
But yeah, we train each other and all the new hires on the systems and procedures and do's and don'ts. There is no getting around that simple fact.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#5 Jun 27, 2013
L1: I bet that kid and his baby mama are living in that motor home in less than 10 years. Also, yeah, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

L3: I didn't get the love for Burt Reynolds until recently. He was on Archer, banging Archer's mom. Dat laugh...so adorable.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#6 Jun 27, 2013
There'a saying in the medical field. It goes like this:

"See one, do one, teach one"

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#7 Jun 27, 2013
I don't disagree on 1 but it sounds very much like the neighborhood 8 year old set lacks a "club house" or general place to hang out, play and not be under the parental microscope.
Setting the place on fie i one risk, but I would be more concerned about someone who slips in and lurks waiting for kids,
What bout fixing up the back bedroom or the basement for eh kids so they can make noise make a mess and have their own place? Tree house?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#8 Jun 27, 2013
loose cannon wrote:
There'a saying in the medical field. It goes like this:
"See one, do one, teach one"
It is a good aphorism, but could you reliably put in a central line after seeing it done just once?

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#9 Jun 27, 2013
How about the little rats build their own tree house or fort? When I was that age, I was probably on my 2nd or 3rd one. Quit wiping their nose, let them smash their thumbs a couple of times. It's a wonder my fingers work at all.
PEllen wrote:
I don't disagree on 1 but it sounds very much like the neighborhood 8 year old set lacks a "club house" or general place to hang out, play and not be under the parental microscope.
Setting the place on fie i one risk, but I would be more concerned about someone who slips in and lurks waiting for kids,
What bout fixing up the back bedroom or the basement for eh kids so they can make noise make a mess and have their own place? Tree house?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#10 Jun 27, 2013
RACE wrote:
How about the little rats build their own tree house or fort? When I was that age, I was probably on my 2nd or 3rd one. Quit wiping their nose, let them smash their thumbs a couple of times. It's a wonder my fingers work at all.
<quoted text>
Plus, I guarantee you that brat has every kind of toy possible. It's not like the alternative to playing in the RV is pushing a hoop down the street with a stick.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 27, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus, I guarantee you that brat has every kind of toy possible. It's not like the alternative to playing in the RV is pushing a hoop down the street with a stick.
No, I think so. I don't see it as basically bad that kids this age want to have their own space to play in. If they had every toy or every video game they wouldn't be wanting a private place. Much more likely that there is old fashioned make believe game playing going on in there. That can happen without messing things up too much btw.

I grew up in a low rise apartment complex in the city. I can still tell you the route through the interconnected basements where we played. There was an empty lot with holes and lumber which were forts and castles and houses. In retrospect it was probably a demolished building site but it was ours and it was grand. I guaranty that if kids played in it now DCFS would be all over the parents, but the neighborhood was not well off and there was no opportunity for a private kids place otherwise.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#12 Jun 27, 2013
LW1: I'm tired this morning; what's the liablity incurred with them playing in the motor home as comparted to say, the basement? It's not like the keys are in the ignition and if all potentially dangerous things like knives and such have been removed, what's the problem?

Regardless, if the LW doesn't want them in there, then she needs to make sure they don't play in there. Put a padlock on the door or something...

LW2: Like, whatever.

LW3: He should try saying/spelling some of the polish names I deal with every day.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Jun 27, 2013
squishymama wrote:
LW1: I'm tired this morning; what's the liablity incurred with them playing in the motor home as comparted to say, the basement? It's not like the keys are in the ignition and if all potentially dangerous things like knives and such have been removed, what's the problem?
Regardless, if the LW doesn't want them in there, then she needs to make sure they don't play in there. Put a padlock on the door or something...
Great point.
tiredofit

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jun 27, 2013
Squishy, agree with you on locking the motorhome up. When the hubby asks where the keys are, "I don't know where the hell they are."

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#15 Jun 27, 2013
L1: I'm with Squishy. Lock the thing up.

L2: If it's your friend, talk to her. Hey, friend, I learn better when I have to actually do it myself instead of watching. I appreciate all your help but can we try it such and such way for awhile. I don't want to be a drain on anyone.

L3: Sometimes you have to ignore someone who is acting like an idiot. Pretend you didn't even hear it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 30 min what a russsh 11,576
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 34 min Dudley 1,657,670
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Hah_ 243,092
Thugs 3 hr Shytown 1
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 2,677
Trump is A 4 hr Snake Ryan 173
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr Bamboo 72,043

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages