Next Last

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#21 Dec 10, 2013
RACE wrote:
Washers have lint traps?
<quoted text>
The hose that empties the tub also spits out wet lint. It clogs drains. That too I know first hand. The nice man who charged me gazillions of dollars per hour portal to portal to rat out my basement drain explained that.

They sell lint traps at the hardware store, but I use old nylon stockings tied over the end of the hose.(When I get a run in one leg of pantyhose, they go in the lint trap bag to use the intact side) You can probably buy really cheap pan hose at Walgreens or Target for a much as the hardware department charges for a trap.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#22 Dec 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The hose that empties the tub also spits out wet lint. It clogs drains. That too I know first hand. The nice man who charged me gazillions of dollars per hour portal to portal to rat out my basement drain explained that.
They sell lint traps at the hardware store, but I use old nylon stockings tied over the end of the hose.(When I get a run in one leg of pantyhose, they go in the lint trap bag to use the intact side) You can probably buy really cheap pan hose at Walgreens or Target for a much as the hardware department charges for a trap.
Walgreens has mesh screen made to put on the end of the hose drain to trap the lint from the washer. They are $1 for 2.(I have a very old fashioned concrete tub next to the washer, naturally in the basement. The nylon doesn't need changed as often, though. I so remembered that from my parents' house when I was little.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#24 Dec 10, 2013
I just buy that product that chews the build up (soap deposits and other nasties) Forget the name, but really works.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

#25 Dec 10, 2013
What happens if the lint trap fills up during the course of a wash? where does the water go?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Walgreens has mesh screen made to put on the end of the hose drain to trap the lint from the washer. They are $1 for 2.(I have a very old fashioned concrete tub next to the washer, naturally in the basement. The nylon doesn't need changed as often, though. I so remembered that from my parents' house when I was little.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#26 Dec 10, 2013
RACE wrote:
What happens if the lint trap fills up during the course of a wash? where does the water go?
<quoted text>
The tub overflows. Or it backs up one of the floor drains.

What's the product you use. I do Drano but it is difficult because I don't have good ventilation in the basement
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#27 Dec 10, 2013
Cass wrote:
LW1 - Sorry, but you are stuck. Your ex is in a relationship. If it is steady and happy, you have no right whatsoever to bring up reconciliation. She'd be right to tell you to go fly a kite. Do your best to stay as much as you can in your son's life. See if you can arrange for some extra time with him on the days you are not off, like one night a week in addition to weekends. Ask for more time on holidays or your vacations. Call him, especially as he gets older and becomes capable of actually talking on the phone.
Ok, maybe I'm contradicting myself here a bit because I do not think it's right for a person to date a person married to someone else. But, the lw's ex is NOT married. She is in a relationship. If the "relationship" was marriage, would he not simply say she's married? For all we know, that relationship may exist simply because the lw and his ex broke up and perhaps the ex is making do with what she feels is second best. I don't see it as a serious breach of dating etiquette to have a heart to heart conversation about their own situation to try to figure out whether what each of them wants is the same thing or whether they should leave things as they are between them. Sure, she may tell him to go fly a kite but that's the chance anyone takes when asking another person out on a date. At least he'll be certain about how things stand and can go on from there. Otherwise, your suggestions make a lot of sense. I also wonder whether he's had legal advice on his parental rights. He may be getting more visitation than he has a legal right to but he won't know unless he finds out what the law says.

#28 Dec 10, 2013
Dont know off the top of my head, but I do remember that it ate soap build up, so it must be some kind of microbe thingy.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>The tub overflows. Or it backs up one of the floor drains.
What's the product you use. I do Drano but it is difficult because I don't have good ventilation in the basement
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#29 Dec 10, 2013
RACE wrote:
2 It is gross, and if you catch them leaving that crap there you should lay into them like the hounds of hell, oh, and bring a can of lysol to kill those mites.
Will lysol kill mites?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#30 Dec 10, 2013
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, maybe I'm contradicting myself here a bit because I do not think it's right for a person to date a person married to someone else. But, the lw's ex is NOT married. She is in a relationship. If the "relationship" was marriage, would he not simply say she's married? For all we know, that relationship may exist simply because the lw and his ex broke up and perhaps the ex is making do with what she feels is second best. I don't see it as a serious breach of dating etiquette to have a heart to heart conversation about their own situation to try to figure out whether what each of them wants is the same thing or whether they should leave things as they are between them. Sure, she may tell him to go fly a kite but that's the chance anyone takes when asking another person out on a date. At least he'll be certain about how things stand and can go on from there. Otherwise, your suggestions make a lot of sense. I also wonder whether he's had legal advice on his parental rights. He may be getting more visitation than he has a legal right to but he won't know unless he finds out what the law says.
So if you are in a committed relationship, but not married, its no big deal for someone to try to come between you and your significant other? To me, its the same offense.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#31 Dec 10, 2013
1: read something about never have sex with someone you're not willing to make a kid/spend the rest of your life with. besides abstinence, nothing is foolproof. at least he's trying...

2: people are nincompoops who don't really care about much but themselves.
25% are sociopaths who will never care....
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#32 Dec 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So if you are in a committed relationship, but not married, its no big deal for someone to try to come between you and your significant other? To me, its the same offense.
That's why I said I may be contradicting myself. To me, a truly committed relationship is when a couple has made a legal commitment to each other. If they don't, it usually means they don't want the legal entanglements so they can fly the coop, so to speak, when they like without the legal repercussions. But I get that not all situations allow for a legal marriage even when they'd like to tie the knot. One may have a spouse with dementia in a long term care facility. Others may need to keep a social security check which they might lose if they marry. Or perhaps someone is hiding from an abusive spouse who may very well kill him/her once found. Then there's the situation in many states where same-sex marriages are not legal. I'm sure there are many situations where being in a non-legal committed relationship is the only possibility. In that case, I agree that it may not be fair to try to make advances to someone in that situation. But most of the so-called committed relationships I've seen are not due to these kinds of problems. They're due to one or both partners being unwilling to make a legal commitment because deep inside, they want to be able to leave without the legal hassles of a divorce. To me, that means it really isn't a "committed" relationship. It may be long-term but not committed.

A case in point, it turned out that before moving to our area, one of my neighbors had been in a "committed" relationship with woman for close to 40 years. They had children and I guess most people assumed they were married. At some point, he began having affairs. Enter a sweet young thing to whom he made advances. He told her he wasn't married. They had an affair; she got pregnant; he married her. He had no legal responsibilities to his partner from his 40 year "committed" relationship. He left her with nothing from what I could gather. Their children were adults by this time. If he and his earlier partner had been married, she would have had some legal protections that would at least have helped her in her old age. I don't think she could even collect his social security. So you see I have reason to doubt these so-called "committed" relationships.

#33 Dec 10, 2013
I dunno, but sounds safer than battery acid...
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
Will lysol kill mites?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,232,579
Word (Dec '08) 46 min Red_Forman 5,241
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Rogue Scholar 05 189,827
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr Net Workit 5,997
News 17 shot-2 fatally-in bloody start to Memorial D... 8 hr BLDM 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 hr OzRitz 53,486
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 hr Ratloder 70,018
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]