Ukraine crisis: US troops in Poland

Posted in the Chicago Forum

PressTV

Matawan, NJ

#1 Apr 24, 2014
Ukraine crisis: US troops in Poland

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58AM GMT

A contingent of US Army paratroopers has reportedly arrived in Poland to conduct military exercises amid escalation of Washington-Moscow tensions over Ukraine.

The CNN reported that the company-sized contingent, which arrived on Wednesday, is the first “persistent presence” of US forces as crisis continues to unfold in Ukraine.

Addressing the US and Polish troops at an airfield, US Army Major General Richard C. Longo said the joint exercises indicate the two countries’ strong commitment to each other.

“Despite the uncertainty of the world and this region, I am certain of one thing about the United States Army in Europe: We have the capacity, we have the commitment, we have the will to fulfill our NATO obligations,” the US general stated.

US Ambassador to Poland Stephen Mull said Washington has “a solemn obligation in the framework of NATO to reassure Poland of our security guarantee.”

Last week, General Philip Breedlove, head of US forces in Europe, said NATO would continue to augment its presence in East Europe.

The US Air Force said recently that it plans to deploy 18 warplanes, already based in Europe, to Poland for joint maritime exercises at Lask Air Base in the Black Sea.

Tensions between the West and Moscow heightened after Crimea declared independence from Ukraine and formally applied to become part of the Russian Federation following a referendum on March 16, in which nearly 97 percent of voters in Crimea said yes to reunion with Russia.

Relations between Russia and NATO have been at their worst since Crimea’s reunification with Russia.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/04/24/3598...
hands on AR

Gurnee, IL

#2 Apr 24, 2014
It's called setting the stage people we are going to war !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Holy Jumpin Jesus 1,207,292
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 min Cold Front 69,318
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 48 min _Zoey_ 5,820
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 52,385
Amy 3-30-15 2 hr Kuuipo 35
Abby 3-30-15 2 hr RACE 11
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 185,930
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]