Chicago police tie low arrests to poo...

Chicago police tie low arrests to poor morale

There are 7 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 19, 2008, titled Chicago police tie low arrests to poor morale. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Serious crime is up but arrests are down in Chicago, and some police officers say they are working the streets less aggressively out of resentment toward their new chief and fear of being second-guessed by him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

ChicagoCop

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 19, 2008
Besides what was written, the fact is the department is seriously undermanned. With the attrition rate of retirees and no new hires, we are down about 2000-3000 officers. With this, the lack of a contract for over a year, radios that go dead after 4 hours and a massive shortage of vehicles, the morale is the lowest it has been in my 20 years on the job. The mayor, superintendent and police brass haven't and won't do anything to improve morale or equip the department with decent equipment or hire more police officers. Daley is too concerned about putting all the city's money into getting the Olympics. By then, Chicago will make Detroit look like the safest city in the country. Daley is destroying Chicago and the safety of it's citizens by destroying the police department. If he cared he would have not hired a Police Superintendent with no city law enforcement experience. That and the fact when Jody Weis came in, Weis totally destroyed the department by taking some of the best and most experienced command staff and forced them into retirement or demoted them. The department lost some of the most knowledgable bosses we have ever had and replaced them with incompetent and clueless bosses. Daley's rhetoric about the situation is all smoke and mirrors.
earth22

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Sep 19, 2008
As a born and bred Chicagoan now living in MT, I am very saddened to see this situation happening in Chicago.

I grew up with an uncle who was a Sargent, and at least one officer lived on every block in my neighborhood. My childhood friends entered the force after college, and even some extended family members are currently on the force.

I think all sides of the issues must be listened to and addressed, including the ever-present and continuous corruption inherent in Chicago politics. I remember vividly as a kid that it was normal to look the other way about such things.

But I also think that the Chicago Police Department has one of the most dangerous and difficult jobs in the country, and must have what they need to do their jobs, and keep themselves safe.

Get rid of the bad apples, and continue to be proud to be a Chicago Police Officer!

PS(I DO think, however, that it is necessary to have the men/women in GOOD physical shape, even if they are resistant to it!)
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 22, 2008
Are the officers of the Chicago Police Department that afraid of being judged of profiling or wrong doing that they forget they are employed by the City of Chicago "To Serve and Protect" the citizens. If you see something that appears "hinky" then maybe it is. I would rather you be judged as making an honest mistake than doing nothing to prevent a situation. Don't let the system do YOU wrong, but don't do us wrong either. I know you are afraid many times you go into a situation that it might be your last, you also swore an oath to the citizens that you'd be their front line protection. Get yourselves back in shape so you can be proud of yourself when you put on the uniform and look at yourself in the mirror, and remember "no one is above the law, even another officer."
Use some common sense

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 22, 2008
Rabid wrote:
Are the officers of the Chicago Police Department that afraid of being judged of profiling or wrong doing that they forget they are employed by the City of Chicago "To Serve and Protect" the citizens. If you see something that appears "hinky" then maybe it is. I would rather you be judged as making an honest mistake than doing nothing to prevent a situation. Don't let the system do YOU wrong, but don't do us wrong either. I know you are afraid many times you go into a situation that it might be your last, you also swore an oath to the citizens that you'd be their front line protection. Get yourselves back in shape so you can be proud of yourself when you put on the uniform and look at yourself in the mirror, and remember "no one is above the law, even another officer."
Funny I dont see you running to take the police job so quick.
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 23, 2008
Use some common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny I dont see you running to take the police job so quick.
I never wanted to be a police officer. Some of my best friends have been police officers, a police chief, county sheriff, and FBI agents. Law enforcement was never of interest to me. All of these friends served with pride, and were hurt when a friend needed to be arrested, and there were several, but they always did their job and even apologized when they were wrong. There was no need to harass or brutalize the collar, they just did the job they were hired for. If you find that you cannot tolerate the system you need to find other work. The chief was hired to a job, like try to straighten out the corruption that has been prevalent in Chicago for so many years, HE IS DOING HIS JOB just like every officer should be doing.
Use some common sense

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 23, 2008
Rabid wrote:
<quoted text>
I never wanted to be a police officer. Some of my best friends have been police officers, a police chief, county sheriff, and FBI agents. Law enforcement was never of interest to me. All of these friends served with pride, and were hurt when a friend needed to be arrested, and there were several, but they always did their job and even apologized when they were wrong. There was no need to harass or brutalize the collar, they just did the job they were hired for. If you find that you cannot tolerate the system you need to find other work. The chief was hired to a job, like try to straighten out the corruption that has been prevalent in Chicago for so many years, HE IS DOING HIS JOB just like every officer should be doing.
"the collar" What t.v. show have you been watching? Weis is ruining the morale of the department plain and simple.
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 24, 2008
Use some common sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Weis is ruining the morale of the department plain and simple.
What planet are you on? If the Chicago Police would do their jobs in the proper manner, instead of being ABOVE the law as they have in the past decades, there wouldn't be this problem. The police seem to have had free reign over the public and it's time they stop, and set an example, or be made example of!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min positronium 1,510,291
Give liberals a stroke! Fight for coal powered... 56 min Trump is the man 1
News Sessions: DOJ will crack down on federal grants... 59 min Trump is the man 1
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 8,080
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr CrunchyBacon 105,074
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr NotSoDivineMsM 239,644
Southern Ill will vote to expell Chicago From S... (Sep '15) 2 hr Peoria 5

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages