Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#21 Jul 1, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Everyone who says the daughter was in on the pill heist, why would she not just go get them herself? Rhe mom got a funny feeling cause this dude was in her private area. What mom would get that feeling over her own child being in there?
The fact that she didn't dump him after he stole medication from her parents tells me she's also a user, or at least an enabler/codependent. Maybe she didn't feel like getting them ("Ask to use the master bathroom, then shut the bedroom, door and in my parents' closet, on the left there will be a little box....").

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#22 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What's to explain? Have you not worked in a restaurant? It's an industry with a higher percentage of fly-by-night employees than offices have. It's late-night working, sitting around the bar after close. In any restaurant, there's always someone to go to for pills, hard drugs, and numerous people to go to for weed.
That paints with an awfully broad brush

Location hidden

#23 Jul 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That paints with an awfully broad brush
It's accurate.
pde

Palatine, IL

#24 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact that she didn't dump him after he stole medication from her parents tells me she's also a user, or at least an enabler/codependent. Maybe she didn't feel like getting them ("Ask to use the master bathroom, then shut the bedroom, door and in my parents' closet, on the left there will be a little box....").
Residual childhood guilt. She has it, but he doesn't.
tiredofit

Los Angeles, CA

#25 Jul 1, 2013
It's shocking to hear about the pain medication abuse going on today. Everyone has a story of someone going through bathroom cabinets in search of pills. My first story was 40 years ago when someone stole valium from my sister's bathroom cabinet during a party.

My son is in the medical profession and sees a constant stream of people in ER trying to get a precription (sp) by faking their pain symptoms.

Location hidden

#26 Jul 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>That paints with an awfully broad brush
I"ve known so many people who worked in restaurants, I heard it all.

Location hidden

#27 Jul 1, 2013
tiredofit wrote:
It's shocking to hear about the pain medication abuse going on today. Everyone has a story of someone going through bathroom cabinets in search of pills. My first story was 40 years ago when someone stole valium from my sister's bathroom cabinet during a party.
My son is in the medical profession and sees a constant stream of people in ER trying to get a precription (sp) by faking their pain symptoms.
Of my friends who were doing drugs as teens/college students (beyond alcohol and pot), I remember them telling me that their first introduction to drugs were their parents' prescription meds. What? My parents weren't on anything!
Stina

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#28 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I"ve known so many people who worked in restaurants, I heard it all.
Hmmm... maybe I should work in a restaurant! Offices are so boring!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#29 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
What's to explain? Have you not worked in a restaurant? It's an industry with a higher percentage of fly-by-night employees than offices have. It's late-night working, sitting around the bar after close. In any restaurant, there's always someone to go to for pills, hard drugs, and numerous people to go to for weed.
I HAVE worked in a restaurant and didn't have "plenty of access" to pills. Was I doing it wrong?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#30 Jul 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I HAVE worked in a restaurant and didn't have "plenty of access" to pills. Was I doing it wrong?
Wait! Are you admitting that you were wrong?

:D

Location hidden

#31 Jul 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You did, you just didn't know it. Did you ask anyone? "Hey, so long as you're supplying half the busboys with weed and two cooks with cocaine, do you know where I can get some oxy?"

Since: May 13

Marina, CA

#32 Jul 1, 2013
LW1: Stating the obvious here, but anyone who rummages through a closet and steals pain meds from his girlfriend's parents has a serious problem. I definitely would not allow him in my house again. Stealing is just not OK, apology or no. As for the daughter just out of college, she still has a lot to learn. Good advice from Amy to stay close to daughter but refrain from getting involved with boyfriend's problems.

LW2: The old saying goes: In the eyes of your parents, you are always a child.

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#33 Jul 1, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Everyone who says the daughter was in on the pill heist, why would she not just go get them herself? Rhe mom got a funny feeling cause this dude was in her private area. What mom would get that feeling over her own child being in there?
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he KNEW they were kept in there. He was probably rummaging.
I usually keep medication in the kitchen cabinet or fridge.
Just don't know why he would even know that they had pain pill in the house or that they would be in the closet. I could see most folks rummaging where all the other medicine is kept and then if none was found, thinking none was in the house.

I just find it odd that he would even think that someone would keep pain pills in their bedroom closet ... a drawer in the bedroom, in the bathroom, in a medicine cabinet in the kitchen, sure, but a bedroom closet seems kind of like an odd place to look.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#34 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, this too ... what kind of girl doesn't break up with a guy who not only is a pill popper, but does something like that to her parents? That's really despicable behavior.

Maybe she was afraid to get caught ... maybe he was saying c'mon babe ... don't worry ... we won't get caught ... I'll even get them for us. Maybe she always uses her own bathroom and knew that her folks would think it was odd if she asked to use theirs for some reason (mine would if I asked to use theirs ... they'd also tell me no)

Based on the totality of the circumstances, I think it's highly likely she was in on it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#35 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry, but i'm with the dog. The correlation with drugs and working in a restaurant was not self explanatory. I've never heard the stereotype that restaurant workers are a bunch of druggies

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#36 Jul 1, 2013
Sub,
I think he rifled through the medicine cabinet, and then he rummaged through the closet and drawers.
Maybe he was looking for anything to steal and just happened to hit the jackpot. Those drug addicts can be fast and sneeky sometimes when they are on a mission.
Some of them OD over and over again and still they can't kick the habit.

“reign in blood”

Melrose Park, IL

#37 Jul 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You did, you just didn't know it. Did you ask anyone? "Hey, so long as you're supplying half the busboys with weed and two cooks with cocaine, do you know where I can get some oxy?"
Pretty much anywhere you work, there is gonna be someone who might be able to get all kinds of things (except shrooms, I've been trying to find shrooms for years, nobody can get any around here). I just don't see or understand why working in a restaurant would mean you have easier access.

“reign in blood”

Melrose Park, IL

#38 Jul 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Just don't know why he would even know that they had pain pill in the house or that they would be in the closet. I could see most folks rummaging where all the other medicine is kept and then if none was found, thinking none was in the house.
I just find it odd that he would even think that someone would keep pain pills in their bedroom closet ... a drawer in the bedroom, in the bathroom, in a medicine cabinet in the kitchen, sure, but a bedroom closet seems kind of like an odd place to look.
He probably searched everywhere he could until he found something. He opened every door and drawer that wasn't locked. That's pretty common behavior for people like that, so I'm not sure why you're finding that hard to understand.

Location hidden

#39 Jul 1, 2013
I think someone who's a pill addict knows to check medicine cabinets, linen closets, dresser drawers, etc. I dated - briefly (under a month)- a pill addict. It's why I dumped him.

And restaurants are ripe with drug use. It's a much more come-and-go employment situation, more than with office work.

“On Deck”

French Polynesia

#40 Jul 1, 2013
Besides Sub, possession is 9/10th's of the law.
I'm just not ready to indict the girlfriend on pure speculation and without more evidence of involvement on her behalf.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Reality Check 1,579,371
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Alyssa76 11,163
What's the real story about Charlottsville? 6 hr DT made Un blink 10
Trump Just Sux 7 hr Izzy Mentlyel 124
last post wins! (Dec '10) 8 hr They cannot kill ... 3,203
last post wins! (Apr '13) 8 hr They cannot kill ... 2,604
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 hr WelbyMD 242,525

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages