Elephant dies at Brookfield Zoo

Elephant dies at Brookfield Zoo

There are 43 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 15, 2009, titled Elephant dies at Brookfield Zoo. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Affie goes through a simple training session at Brookfield Zoo in 2006. Affie, a female African elephant about to turn 40 and be feted at her birthday party June 13, died Friday afternoon after keepers found her lying on her side, unable to stand.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Men

United States

#1 May 15, 2009
Oh- how sad! I hope they get a replacement friend for the other elephant. I am glad they are opening up the area since the elephant enclosure in Lincoln Park Zoo was so tiny. I really felt bad for them there.
thingy

Terre Haute, IN

#3 May 15, 2009
I have mixed emotions about having elephants at zoos.
It is a shame their natural habitat is getting smaller.
They are beautiful animals.
Good-bye sweet Affie.

“Rolling Stone”

Since: May 08

Plainfield, IL

#4 May 15, 2009
uhhh wrote:
that place is an elephant prison
there is no reason to keep animals in
zoos
you backwards jokers
Touche!
KiddingAround

Skokie, IL

#6 May 15, 2009
Realist wrote:
Elephants are dirty, dangerous, evil creatures. We should lock them all up in prisons and make the world a safer place.
go back to your zoo troller
uhhh

Champaign, IL

#7 May 15, 2009
Realist is a dirty, dangerous creature. He is already locked up in his parent's basement!
I love elephants

Grosse Pointe, MI

#10 May 16, 2009
Poor sweetie. It was probably a stroke or something sudden, as surely the regular veterinary care the zoo animals receive would have caught a disease process.

Elephants are beautiful, intelligent, majestic, loving creatures who should be protected. It is a disgrace that humans are causing the endangerment of the African Elephants.

There aren't enough wildlife sanctuaries for elephants caught in land wars to go to. I'm glad that Brookfield is enlarging their elephant habitat, but I hope it will be big enough. Elephants need a lot of land, and because they are so intelligent, they need a lot of mental stimulation or they go insane.
iknowthatguy

Mountain View, CA

#11 May 16, 2009
You can rejoin the Realist in your Mom's basement now.
Nonpartisan observer wrote:
Why are we cutting the defense budget to pay for crap like zoos and elephants. When bin laden finally attacks again, more elephants wont make us any safer
Steve

Slaughter, LA

#12 May 16, 2009
Every time I see headlines like this I cringe. How many people died yesterday in Chicago? How many got front web page headlines? Are elephants more important than people?
Marine

Oak Forest, IL

#13 May 16, 2009
Sad story to begin a Saturday with. R.I.P. old girl !!
Jimbo

United States

#14 May 16, 2009
Yes. Elephants are definitely more important than people.
Libiots

Oak Forest, IL

#15 May 16, 2009
Steve wrote:
Every time I see headlines like this I cringe. How many people died yesterday in Chicago? How many got front web page headlines? Are elephants more important than people?
The people that died in Chicago yesterday, the majority anyway, were probably a drain on society. And yes, animals are more deserving of sympathy! Most humans are evil pieces of sheisse!
Animal Lover

United States

#16 May 16, 2009
I feel so bad for Affie the elephant that died. I would go to the zoo and see her sometimes. I love elephants. They are so sweet and cute. RIP Affie. I will always remember you.
Emma

Manteno, IL

#18 May 16, 2009
Elephants do not belong in zoos! An elephant can travel 10 miles in one day. I am glad that Lincoln park that crappy zoo does not have anymore and Brookfield should send the last one to an elephant sanctuary. yes she was deserving oe news. She didn't ask to be there for our entertainment purposes. She was forced into. Yes I also agree I am sure plenty of the ones that died were a drain on society and would not have contributed anyway. It is people that suck not the animals! Now all you animal lovers get out there and adopt don't shop like our lying president did.
DanG

Iowa City, IA

#19 May 16, 2009
OMG how do you do an autopsy/necropsy on that huge animal?
Royko

Oakvale, WV

#20 May 16, 2009
Steve wrote:
Elephants are much more humane and civil than many of the people running around loose in Chicago. Unfortunately, a decent elephant died while the ****bag people lived.
Royko

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 16, 2009
Emma wrote:
Elephants do not belong in zoos! An elephant can travel 10 miles in one day. I am glad that Lincoln park that crappy zoo does not have anymore and Brookfield should send the last one to an elephant sanctuary. yes she was deserving oe news. She didn't ask to be there for our entertainment purposes. She was forced into. Yes I also agree I am sure plenty of the ones that died were a drain on society and would not have contributed anyway. It is people that suck not the animals! Now all you animal lovers get out there and adopt don't shop like our lying president did.
Yes, she would be much better of in the wilds where a poacher could shoot her, cut out her tusks, and leave her carcass to rot with her baby starving to death beside her. Dimwit.
John

Mexico, Mexico

#22 May 16, 2009
It was Obama's fault. That and the fact that Brookfield Zoo is not well maintained by any stretch of the imagination.
Jeff S

United States

#24 May 16, 2009
That's sad to hear about her. But it's nice to hear Brookfield is working on bringing more elephants to their zoo. I wish Lincoln Park Zoo would bring some over too.

http://chicagoismynewblog.wordpress.com
Pollyanna

Chicago, IL

#26 May 16, 2009
Steve wrote:
Steve, some of us are capable of absorbing many different bits of information daily. If you wish to read only about dead people, that's okay, too.
Janet

AOL

#27 May 16, 2009
That is very sad. I hope someone is comforting and taking care of Christy since elephants are very emotional and smart animals. She is most likely feeling and exhibiting signs of grief. And they need to either get another elephant quickly or send Christy to a place where there are other elephants. Elephants are very social creatures and shouldn't be alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min nanoanomaly 1,509,149
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr believed 239,570
Obama has LEAK under sink. 8 hr TroyTheRealPlumber 39
Graduation in Detroit. 8 hr Beyond Stoooopid 3
The Scoop on Weiner. 8 hr Weiners A weiner 4
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael Madigan as ? 8 hr HANG MADIGAN 3
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 11 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 8,068

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages