Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Comments (Page 5,467)

Showing posts 109,321 - 109,340 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

joe wrote:
(More cut-n-paste lib prog claptrap trimmed)...

... it means that conservatives are willing to base even the most minor of decisions in large part on whether they think the result will piss imaginary liberals off; we've just re-discovered the guiding philosophy of the entire post-Reagan conservative movement.(It also raises an interesting question that, as far as I can discern, was left untested: If you advertised one bulb specifically as being bad for the environment, would conservatives be more likely to buy it? There may be an untapped market for a bulb that promises "this light bulb personally clubs baby seals" or "this bulb will help give asthma to some poor Midwestern kid living near a power plant.")
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."

-- T. S. Eliot

Our joe is certainly consumed by a need to think well of himself.

Onward against those eeeevul righties, joe!
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."
-- T. S. Eliot
Listen, Teddy, if you've got a point to make about the items I point out, then make it, without resorting to right wing "talking points". Otherwise, all you're doing is the same old fox news crap of trying to trash the "voice" not the "content".

America is becoming less bigoted, less prejudiced, less narrow, more accepting of differences, more tolerant, and more savvy to the wiles of propaganda machines like fox. All this while conservatives are becoming extinct, dying off, having to resort to anti-American, anti-democratic means to maintain power.

I can appreciate the dilemma that smart conservatives find themselves in. They aren't as loony and antediluvian as the party is devolving into, but it's the only party you have. Should be an opportunity for a new party, but for now, I get it.

But you guys are, sadly, becoming more and more like the worst of your leadership. Everytime some bigoted right wing idiot says something retrograde on this thread, you remain silent, making yourself part of the worst of what the "new" Republican party is trying to sell.

I hope you aren't all becoming Louie Gohmert who "opposes gun control because gay marriage leads to bestiality."

or - Frank Lucas who wonders if there's an Obama 'Conspiracy to Buy Up All the Bullets So They're Not Available to Us'.

or - Steve Stockman latching onto a chain email conspiracy theory about the CSCOPE curriculum, which according to detractors promotes Islam, Communism and anti-Americanism.

or - well, you get the point.

I guess I'd be more willing to discuss the failings, mistakes and stupidity on the left if you guys were more willing to cop to the idiocies on the right. But, so far, I haven't seen that.

Oh well.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

More from the right wing "intelligentsia":

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) revealed that some members of his party opposed expanding background checks for gun sales recently because they didn't want to "be seen helping the president."

Two weeks ago, only three Republican senators voted for the bipartisan background checks amendment sponsored by Toomey and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), despite overwhelming popular support for such a measure.

"In the end it didnít pass because we're so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it,Ē Toomey admitted on Tuesday in an interview with Digital First Media editors in the offices of the Times Herald newspaper in Norristown, Pa.

Yeah, there's some grown up reasoning. It's not even about him being re-elected anymore.
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

"Shock poll: Wealthy, not middle class, support Obama"

You should only be shocked by this if you only pay attention to his words and ignore his actions. Sadly, that would mean that most Americans will be shocked.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-weal...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
-- T. S. Eliot
And you might want to consider yourself in the description you assigned to me, projection maybe? I mean, really, you're the one quoting Eliot, right? In any case feeling important on an anonymous forum, I don't know how one would get there? Or do you think you're the only one who knows this anonymous?

That sounds more like someone who is "consumed by a need think to think well of themselves." On the other hand, I personally think we should all strive to think well of ourselves. Not to the point of being consumed by it, though. I say go for it.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

nac wrote:
"Shock poll: Wealthy, not middle class, support Obama"
You should only be shocked by this if you only pay attention to his words and ignore his actions. Sadly, that would mean that most Americans will be shocked.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/shock-poll-weal...
Sorry, but the Washington Examiner is a little bit biased for my taste. Thought it would be for you too, since you claim to be an "independent".

Politico described the paper as "a megaphone for [Anschutz's] right-wing views on taxes, national security and President Barack Obama." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_E...
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but the Washington Examiner is a little bit biased for my taste. Thought it would be for you too, since you claim to be an "independent".
Politico described the paper as "a megaphone for [Anschutz's] right-wing views on taxes, national security and President Barack Obama." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_E...
The poll was conducted by The Economist and YouGov. Are they "righties?"

Wouldn't you also consider Politico right-wing? How can you trust what they say? Oh no!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Not even the Stepford-element on the right can refute the building strength in our current economic recovery.....led by home construction and auto sales.....and despite the treachery of House republican's, obstructing anything that might aid the recovery, the people or this President......
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., told a packed house at the Back Nine Cafe on Wednesday to fight to take government control back from big business.

"How do Fortune 500 companies pay zero in taxes while college loans go up to 6 percent?" she asked. "This game is rigged."

The consumer must "get up and fight," she said. "You've all got to be there to fight."

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/5/2/eliz...
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

joe wrote:
U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., told a packed house at the Back Nine Cafe on Wednesday to fight to take government control back from big business.
"How do Fortune 500 companies pay zero in taxes while college loans go up to 6 percent?" she asked. "This game is rigged."
The consumer must "get up and fight," she said. "You've all got to be there to fight."
Because Republicans and Democrats in office WORK FOR Fortune 500 companies, not college students or working Americans... that's why.

Regular folks can't help them, big business can.$$$
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Not even the Stepford-element on the right can refute the building strength in our current economic recovery.....led by home construction and auto sales.....and despite the treachery of House republican's, obstructing anything that might aid the recovery, the people or this President......
Exactly!!! We're ONLY $17 Trillion in debt and printing ONLY $85 Billion per month fake, fiat, debt currency... er, I mean Dollars.

What could go wrong???
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Vote Mindless Democrat Forever wrote:
Balderdash. Already totally refuted by actual economic performance data previously posted and linked - essentially zero growth in 4Q12, an anemic 2.5% growth in 1Q13, well below economists' expectations.

FACT: The Obama Economy continues to be the WORST RECOVERY FROM RECESSION IN US HISTORY. The misery continues under the Incompetent in Chief.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

joe wrote:
She sure doesn't fight for the truth. Warren should be called Senator Pocahontas, because she lied during her Senate campaign about being of Native American descent, yet was elected by Massachusetts libs anyway. It's been said that people get the government they deserve, which indicates the poor standing of the USA today.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

joe wrote:
Why are college expenses rising each year by several times the rate of inflation? That, and the easy availability of federally subsidized student loans, are the biggest reasons why student college debt has grown so enormously.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

joe wrote:
Yet the jobs provided by Fortune 500 companies employ millions of Americans, who pay taxes and spend to stimulate the nation's economy.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Balderdash. Already totally refuted by actual economic performance data previously posted and linked - essentially zero growth in 4Q12, an anemic 2.5% growth in 1Q13, well below economists' expectations.
FACT: The Obama Economy continues to be the WORST RECOVERY FROM RECESSION IN US HISTORY. The misery continues under the Incompetent in Chief.
Yeah, so the recovery's not strong enough, better cut more spending and lower the fcking deficit. And don't mention the idiot Republican House and their responsibility, right? It's all you clownazes know isn't it. Like I said once before: nothing much grows without water. Simple enough for you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly!!! We're ONLY $17 Trillion in debt and printing ONLY $85 Billion per month fake, fiat, debt currency... er, I mean Dollars.
What could go wrong???
Be reminded that the dollar is not devalueing itself on the world market.....Internationl Currency Exchange figure's suggest it is has remained very strong againest the British Pound, doing well againest the Euro and last month, actually set a record high againest Japan's Yen.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>Why are college expenses rising each year by several times the rate of inflation? That, and the easy availability of federally subsidized student loans, are the biggest reasons why student college debt has grown so enormously.
Yeah....who cares about the ongoing ECONOMIC RECOVERY OF THE UNIED STATES......it's really all about college expense's rising....lol.....
Kris Kross

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

If Obama wants to create 600,000 jobs, he need only get rid of 1: Resign already, Mr. Obama. You've brought nothing but death and destruction. The victims in Boston, Newtown, Aurora, Bengazhi. Step down before any more innocents die! Maybe then we restore our credit rating and start creating jobs again!
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Be reminded that the dollar is not devalueing itself on the world market.....Internationl Currency Exchange figure's suggest it is has remained very strong againest the British Pound, doing well againest the Euro and last month, actually set a record high againest Japan's Yen.....
Hey, I'm on your side! Borrowing astronomical amounts of money from a private banking cartel known as the "Federal" Reserve as well as China and other foreign countries while spending astronomical amounts of money on unnecessary nonsense could never have any negative consequences!!!

We're only borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend.

We're all gonna be rich!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 109,321 - 109,340 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

90 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Abby 7-22 4 min Cass 5
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min forks_make_us_fat 1,077,848
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Learn to Read 174,407
Voice of God Weapon 5 min I Told U Not 2 Emulate ME 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 min RACE 97,508
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 21 min Drone me 1,852
Cheap Tomatoes 21 min Straw Boss 2
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••