Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.
Comments
109,241 - 109,260 of 109,596 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2013
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118718 Apr 11, 2013
You guys think global warming is a hoax? Right? Well, here's one of your symaptico "leaders":

Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) on Wednesday explained that Al Gore and the United Nations get most of the blame for what he called a global warming “hoax,” but filmmaker Michael Moore and billionaire George Soros deserved some credit too.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118719 Apr 11, 2013
Another right wing hate point for discussion:

Fox News Radio reporter Todd Starnes criticized an email from a U.S. Army officer condemning anti-gay hate speech, suggesting that the email was a sign of "the end of days" and warning his audience that "your military is being turned against you."

In an April 9 article for Fox News Radio, Starnes reported that an email from Lt. Col. Jack Rich instructed subordinates to be on the lookout for behaviors that are "inconsistent with Army Values," including showing support for a number of "hate groups" operating in the U.S.

The email included a list of anti-gay groups like the Family Research Council (FRC) and American Family Association (AFA), stating:

The religious right in America has employed a variety of strategies in its efforts to beat back the increasingly confident gay rights movement. One of those has been defamation. Many of its leaders have engaged in the crudest type of name-calling, describing LGBT people as "perverts" with "filthy habits" who seek to snatch the children of straight parents and "convert" them to gay sex. They have disseminated disparaging "facts" about gays that are simply untrue assertions that are remarkably reminiscent of the way white intellectuals and scientists once wrote about the "bestial" black man and his supposedly threatening sexuality.

Rich's depiction of the hate speech stemming from the anti-gay movement is entirely accurate. Both FRC and AFA have been listed as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center due to their long histories of defaming LGBT people, including peddling the myth allowing for openly gay soldiers would cause a spike in sexual assaults and HIV infections in the military.

Starnes - who acts as Fox News' resident mouthpiece for anti-gay hate groups - chose to depict the email as an assault on Christianity, interviewing several employees of FRC who, not surprisingly, condemned the email:
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118720 Apr 11, 2013
When 'ya got nuttin', lie:

Wall Street Journal columnist and editorial board member Kimberley Strassel MISREPRESENTED the win-loss record of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in court in order to suggest the Obama administration's environmental rulemaking is frequently illegal.

In an April 9 column, Strassel attempted to smear President Obama's nominee for EPA Administrator, the highly qualified and widely regarded Gina McCarthy, with the accusation that she shared blame for an alleged "embarrassing string of [legal] defeats" suffered by the Obama administration while serving as the senior EPA official in charge of regulating air pollution.

A National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) analysis of Clean Air Act litigation under both the Bush and Obama administrations clearly shows that the so-called embarrassing STRING OF "JUDICIAL SLAPDOWNS" WAS SUFFERED BY THE EPA UNDER THE FORMER, NOT THE LATTER. Furthermore, because the Obama EPA has been overwhelmingly successful in defending its enforcement of the Clean Air Act - whereas the Bush EPA was overwhelmingly unsuccessful in undermining this vital legislation - Administrator Lisa Jackson's promise for rulemaking that "stands up in court" was fulfilled, despite Strassel's claim otherwise.

Ultimately, Strassel's inaccurate characterization of the courts' treatment of EPA rulemaking under the Obama administration is just an excuse for the WSJ and the Republican Party to continue their attack on the president's attempts to combat climate change. In fact, the EPA has gone out of its way to ensure that action it takes to combat this national threat is fully consistent with its authority under the Clean Air Act, as opposed to the EPA under the Bush administration. McCarthy's reported commitment to scrupulously enforcing the text and intent of environmental legislation is part of the reason that praise for her previous air pollution work has come from both Republicans and Democrats, in addition to representatives from both industry and environmental interests.
nac

Piscataway, NJ

#118721 Apr 12, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Ohhh, poo baby. I guess you think you so cwever. You and teddy sound like thirteen year-old little girls. I don't care what YOU believe, I'd like to hear who your favorite politicians are, though. Still don't have any I see.
You realize that your foaming at the mouth doesn't mean anything, right? Why not tell us who you think we should take a look at to lead, to implement and represent your loony ideas, i.e., lower taxes on the wealthy, privatize social security, cut funds for education, increase military spending, eliminate regulations on corporations but add regulations on voting, etc., etc., etc.
And I guess you've dropped your ridiculous pretense about being "objective" and seeking the "middle ground", huh?
As per:
There's nothing wrong with exploding welfare rolls and high unemployment. If you right-wing haters would just pay higher taxes and turn your guns in, Obama could focus on printing more money to pay for it all.
I don't know how it will work... but joe is an economics expert. I'll let him explain...
Right.
Once again... you've decided what I believe based solely on what you oppose... not based on anything I've said. Please point out the post where I advocated the nonsense you vomited above.

I know we've been through this, and I know you'll never get it... But again, I am not interested in partisan left/right bickering. It is nonsense fed to you by the very people that fund BOTH sides. You are nothing but a useful idiot to the big banks that BOTH parties work for. They don't work for you, joe. Not even your precious dems. No, they work for the global bankers.

Remember the other day when we talked about how ONLY the rich are doing well under Bush/Obama? It's not by accident.

Truth-Facts

Dayton, OH

#118722 Apr 12, 2013
He's the greatest used car salesman in history to hold public office. He has deceived,hoodwinked,lied, and dishonored the office of the Presidency. One day maybe,people in America will wake up and realize they have been pushed off a cliff and Fidel Obummer is standing over them laughing along with MOOshell.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118723 Apr 12, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again... you've decided what I believe based solely on what you oppose... not based on anything I've said. Please point out the post where I advocated the nonsense you vomited above.
I know we've been through this, and I know you'll never get it... But again, I am not interested in partisan left/right bickering. It is nonsense fed to you by the very people that fund BOTH sides. You are nothing but a useful idiot to the big banks that BOTH parties work for. They don't work for you, joe. Not even your precious dems. No, they work for the global bankers.
Remember the other day when we talked about how ONLY the rich are doing well under Bush/Obama? It's not by accident.
Okay, what's your plan? All I hear from you is how "enlightened" you are about the two political parties. But, info alert, that's what we've got, or haven't you noticed. We know how the "system" works but, less a revolution, how do you propose to change it?

And, once again, if you were truly objective, you'd notice that I don't tout the Democratic Party very much. I just observe and share the fact(s) that the Republicans have gone so far off the reservation in rational, objective thought that they have become dangerous; economically, socially and philosophically.

Your persistence in trying to get me to acknowledge your bi-partisanship-ness belies your insistence on ignoring the dangerously retrograde morphing of the Republican party into a clown act of ignorance worshiping, fearful, angry people who thrive on increasingly narrowing their world view rather than expanding it.

So, I agree with you that the "powers behind the throne", the oligarchy, are the ultimate threat, my more immediate concern is the increasingly deranged obeisance that the Republican/tea party is a working tool of said oligarchy. They, unlike the Democrats have made it clear that they are the enemy of a rational, educated, patriotic, optimistic, loving people.

Thus, I share the mountains of evidence of their hypocrisy and outright lies. You proclaim your bi-partisanship, I my well informed fear and warnings of the take-over of my fathers Republican Party by a so-called tea party full of fascistic tendencies and behavior. Why are you arguing with me? Are my postings un-true? Point out the errors. Who do you think represents you, politically?
nac

Piscataway, NJ

#118724 Apr 12, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, what's your plan? All I hear from you is how "enlightened" you are about the two political parties. But, info alert, that's what we've got, or haven't you noticed. We know how the "system" works but, less a revolution, how do you propose to change it?
And, once again, if you were truly objective, you'd notice that I don't tout the Democratic Party very much. I just observe and share the fact(s) that the Republicans have gone so far off the reservation in rational, objective thought that they have become dangerous; economically, socially and philosophically.
Your persistence in trying to get me to acknowledge your bi-partisanship-ness belies your insistence on ignoring the dangerously retrograde morphing of the Republican party into a clown act of ignorance worshiping, fearful, angry people who thrive on increasingly narrowing their world view rather than expanding it.
So, I agree with you that the "powers behind the throne", the oligarchy, are the ultimate threat, my more immediate concern is the increasingly deranged obeisance that the Republican/tea party is a working tool of said oligarchy. They, unlike the Democrats have made it clear that they are the enemy of a rational, educated, patriotic, optimistic, loving people.
Thus, I share the mountains of evidence of their hypocrisy and outright lies. You proclaim your bi-partisanship, I my well informed fear and warnings of the take-over of my fathers Republican Party by a so-called tea party full of fascistic tendencies and behavior. Why are you arguing with me? Are my postings un-true? Point out the errors. Who do you think represents you, politically?
The Republicans most certainly do not represent me. Nor do the Democrats. I don't know why that concept is so hard for you to grasp, is it because you can't fathom not being a follower?

The reason I'm more critical of the democrats these days is simple... they are the ones in power. They are the ones accomplishing an agenda that is against the founding principles of this country and the Constitution. The republicans? They are just a side-show that is ultimately going along with the democrats.

You don't tout the democrat party much? I should hope not. What would you tout? High unemployment? High gas prices? Almost a trillion dollars of wasted "stimulus" funds that did nothing other than pay his donors and supporters back for getting Obama elected? Running guns into Mexico to blame the 2nd Amendment? Using executive privilege to cover it up? Running weapons to terrorists in Benghazi? Lying to the American people about the attack that left 4 dead there? Irresponsible, unsustainable spending? Refusing to even consider cutting spending? Claiming that the rich need to pay more taxes... but raising taxes on the middle and lower classes instead? Killing innocents and children all over the world with drone strikes? Saying that the government can kill US citizens on US soil with a drone, no judge no jury? Signing into law a bill that states they can indefinitely detain citizens without pressing charges or due process? Ramming Obamacare through even though it will erode care and further bankrupt the country while insurance companies get richer? Having a peace prize in one hand and a kill list in the other? Need I go on?

The point is that we need to stop focusing on what they are saying, and start focusing on what they are doing.

I could write a long list like the one above about Bush's criminal acts... but he's in Texas painting pictures of Dogs. Obama and the democrats are RIGHT NOW in Washington bankrupting the country and trying to disarm law-abiding citizens.

I want people to wake up to the fact that both parties have been completely hijacked. The time to move on from them is now. Independent thought is our weapon. If you forget about what they say, and only look at what they do... you will wake up and support neither party.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118725 Apr 12, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
The Republicans most certainly do not represent me. Nor do the Democrats. I don't know why that concept is so hard for you to grasp, is it because you can't fathom not being a follower?
The reason I'm more critical of the democrats these days is simple... they are the ones in power. They are the ones accomplishing an agenda that is against the founding principles of this country and the Constitution. The republicans? They are just a side-show that is ultimately going along with the democrats.
You don't tout the democrat party much? I should hope not. What would you tout? High unemployment? High gas prices? Almost a trillion dollars of wasted "stimulus" funds that did nothing other than pay his donors and supporters back for getting Obama elected? Running guns into Mexico to blame the 2nd Amendment? Using executive privilege to cover it up? Running weapons to terrorists in Benghazi? Lying to the American people about the attack that left 4 dead there? Irresponsible, unsustainable spending? Refusing to even consider cutting spending? Claiming that the rich need to pay more taxes... but raising taxes on the middle and lower classes instead? Killing innocents and children all over the world with drone strikes? Saying that the government can kill US citizens on US soil with a drone, no judge no jury? Signing into law a bill that states they can indefinitely detain citizens without pressing charges or due process? Ramming Obamacare through even though it will erode care and further bankrupt the country while insurance companies get richer? Having a peace prize in one hand and a kill list in the other? Need I go on?
The point is that we need to stop focusing on what they are saying, and start focusing on what they are doing.
I could write a long list like the one above about Bush's criminal acts... but he's in Texas painting pictures of Dogs. Obama and the democrats are RIGHT NOW in Washington bankrupting the country and trying to disarm law-abiding citizens.
I want people to wake up to the fact that both parties have been completely hijacked. The time to move on from them is now. Independent thought is our weapon. If you forget about what they say, and only look at what they do... you will wake up and support neither party.
Hey,'ya know what, nac, never mind. I was right in the beginning, you're just another right-wing nut case. Have fun with all your tin-hat conspiracies. Nothing new; same junk on Beck and Limbaugh, et al.
nac

Piscataway, NJ

#118726 Apr 12, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey,'ya know what, nac, never mind. I was right in the beginning, you're just another right-wing nut case. Have fun with all your tin-hat conspiracies. Nothing new; same junk on Beck and Limbaugh, et al.
And I was right about you... you have nothing intelligent to contribute, don't like to be confronted with facts, so you resort to childish name-calling. What a surprise!
Obskeptic

Farmington, MI

#118728 Apr 13, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
And I was right about you... you have nothing intelligent to contribute, don't like to be confronted with facts, so you resort to childish name-calling. What a surprise!
Thats what liberals do. When the debate gets into specifics, and a point is brought to the argument that makes their side look terrible, they simply dismiss the facts, obfuscate the reality, and then attack the messenger. Thats when you know you have won the point being debated. If it's a matter of real importance to the left, then they will assemble their bully crowd to drown out any opposition with a concert of ignorant voices and a collection of human shields standing behind them. After all, who wants to find themselves isolated and attacked by a mob, whether it is figuratively, or literally?
Obskeptic

Farmington, MI

#118729 Apr 13, 2013
We had to endure the lefts attacks for the last year that one of the main reasons that we needed to re-elect the current Liar in Chief was because Romney was selfish and cheap with all that money he has. Obviously the Romney's are wealthier then the Obama's, because he is way smarter then Barry, but the president obviously shares that same penchant for greed with his desire to keep his "fair share" of what he earned last year. Barry and Michelle only paid 18.4% of their income to the government in taxes for last year, when they should have paid over 30%. Not to worry about such petty details or hypocrisy though, because the left only wants us to pay attention to the lip service coming out of the liars mouth, not pay attention to the actions. It reminds me of the old saying, "What are you going to believe, the words from my mouth, or what your eyes see is reality?" In other words, do as the president says, not as the president does. Two fundraisers, two rounds of golf, a couple of luncheons, and dinners in just the last week. When does this "leader" have any time for himself? How many of you vacation separately from your wife and kids, a couple of times a year?
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118731 Apr 13, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
And what "facts" are you talking about? The crap you listed are called beliefs. They are things you "believe" and, as I said, they are all fox talking points and haven't any proof to point to or you would.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118732 Apr 13, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
We had to endure the lefts attacks for the last year that one of the main reasons that we needed to re-elect the current Liar in Chief was because Romney was selfish and cheap with all that money he has. Obviously the Romney's are wealthier then the Obama's, because he is way smarter then Barry, but the president obviously shares that same penchant for greed with his desire to keep his "fair share" of what he earned last year. Barry and Michelle only paid 18.4% of their income to the government in taxes for last year, when they should have paid over 30%. Not to worry about such petty details or hypocrisy though, because the left only wants us to pay attention to the lip service coming out of the liars mouth, not pay attention to the actions. It reminds me of the old saying, "What are you going to believe, the words from my mouth, or what your eyes see is reality?" In other words, do as the president says, not as the president does. Two fundraisers, two rounds of golf, a couple of luncheons, and dinners in just the last week. When does this "leader" have any time for himself? How many of you vacation separately from your wife and kids, a couple of times a year?
Blah, blah, blah. So where are your FACTS? You guys are truly hilarious. You accuse everyone who disagrees with you of the very thing you are guilty of. Full of opinions and beliefs but NO FACTS.

The Republicans trash the economy, blame Obama and then sit on their hands and refuse to participate in fixing their mess. FACT.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118733 Apr 13, 2013
Hey, right-wing goose-steppers, here is a FACT. Meaning it can be verified. It's not something I believe or deduce, it's a fact:

Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson says women getting the vote “one of the greatest mistakes America made”

Peterson heads a conservative group and is an occassional guest on Sean Hannity's Fox News program

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/rev-...
nac

Brooklyn, NY

#118734 Apr 13, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
And what "facts" are you talking about? The crap you listed are called beliefs. They are things you "believe" and, as I said, they are all fox talking points and haven't any proof to point to or you would.
Everything I said is well documented and widely known. You don't like it, so you call it a "belief."

Some of us, joe, believe the truth. You may choose not to, that's your right.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118735 Apr 13, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything I said is well documented and widely known. You don't like it, so you call it a "belief."
Some of us, joe, believe the truth. You may choose not to, that's your right.
Sorry, nac. Everything you've posted is an opinion and is ONLY widely believed by nut cases like you. And worse, it's not even your opinion, it's the right wing noise machine's propaganda that you believe. Making you, I guess, a "faith-based" stooge.

Here some right wing "beliefs":

Man-made global warming is a hoax.

Corporations don't need to be regulated.

The economy is driven by investors not by demand.

God wrote the Bible.

The rich deserve lower tax rates than the non-rich.

Anyone who is poor is so because they're lazy.

President Obama is a: socialist, nazi, communist, Muslim, going to take your gun, wants to won your children, is satan, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Voter fraud is rampant.

Sex education causes pregnancy.

Women SHOULD be paid 77% of men.

Women should not have rights over their bodies.

Money is more important than people.

The planet is 6,000 years old.

I could go on for quite awhile but will merely point out that the world the righties believe in looks very similar to the Middle Ages.
nac

Southold, NY

#118736 Apr 13, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, nac. Everything you've posted is an opinion and is ONLY widely believed by nut cases like you. And worse, it's not even your opinion, it's the right wing noise machine's propaganda that you believe. Making you, I guess, a "faith-based" stooge.
Here some right wing "beliefs":
God wrote the Bible.
President Obama is a: socialist, nazi, communist, Muslim, going to take your gun, wants to won your children, is satan, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam.
Voter fraud is rampant.
I could go on for quite awhile but will merely point out that the world the righties believe in looks very similar to the Middle Ages.
As is your custom, you brought up a host of nonsense that I did not say, while ignoring everything I did say.

If "everything I wrote is opinion," feel free to refute it with facts. But pulling unrelated deflections out of your azz does not refute my points, nor does it add substance to the conversation. Frankly it only makes you somehow look even more like a petulant child.

I've explained this to you before, and you didn't understand it... I'll explain it again, even though I have no reason to believe it this time:

The fact that I'm not "left wing," does not make me "right wing." As far as I'm concerned, both of those wings have gotten us into the mess we are in. While its true that I've never voted for a democrat for president, it's also true that I've never voted for a republican either.

To me, dems are arguing that 1 + 1 = 3 while the reps are arguing that 1 + 1 = 1.

Just because I can see that YOUR math doesn't add up, doesn't mean I agree with the other idiot with bad math that fights with you. I have the ability to think for myself. You should try it some time.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118737 Apr 17, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
As is your custom, you brought up a host of nonsense that I did not say, while ignoring everything I did say.
If "everything I wrote is opinion," feel free to refute it with facts. But pulling unrelated deflections out of your azz does not refute my points, nor does it add substance to the conversation. Frankly it only makes you somehow look even more like a petulant child.
I've explained this to you before, and you didn't understand it... I'll explain it again, even though I have no reason to believe it this time:
The fact that I'm not "left wing," does not make me "right wing." As far as I'm concerned, both of those wings have gotten us into the mess we are in. While its true that I've never voted for a democrat for president, it's also true that I've never voted for a republican either.
To me, dems are arguing that 1 + 1 = 3 while the reps are arguing that 1 + 1 = 1.
Just because I can see that YOUR math doesn't add up, doesn't mean I agree with the other idiot with bad math that fights with you. I have the ability to think for myself. You should try it some time.
Okay, so which of these DON'T you believe:

God wrote the Bible.

Voter fraud is rampant.

nac

Piscataway, NJ

#118738 Apr 17, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so which of these DON'T you believe:
God wrote the Bible.
Voter fraud is rampant.
Do you believe that anyone that doesn't blindly support Bush/Obama Must believe all of the nonsense you posted above?

Really?
guest 2

United States

#118741 Apr 18, 2013
Where are the 600,000 jobs?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word (Dec '08) 3 min andet1987 4,649
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min THE DEVIL 1,099,840
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min LRS 177,347
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 48 min Obama 49,453
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr _Zoey_ 7,745
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr _Zoey_ 296
Danger! It is horrible, rotten luck to hug a w... 2 hr Unlucky man 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr Phil Indeblanc 97,916
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••