Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Jun 8, 2009 Read more: Newsday 109,551
President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs. Read more
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118586 Mar 8, 2013
We're just not interested in the facts, are we?

South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard (R) signed a bill into law on Friday that allows teachers to pack heat in classrooms, becoming the first state in the nation to do so.

Similar proposals have been considered in about two dozen states since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre last December, according to The New York Times.

Despite Republicans’ insistence that making firearms more available reduces crime, a study released Wednesday by Boston Children’s Hospital, in collaboration with Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, finds that states with more restrictive gun laws have the fewest deaths as a result of gun violence.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118587 Mar 8, 2013
How Bush's Grandfather Helped Hitler's Rise To Power

Rumours of a link between the US first family and the Nazi war machine have circulated for decades. Now the Guardian can reveal how repercussions of events that culminated in action under the Trading with the Enemy Act are still being felt by today's president.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/sep/25/u...
REALFACTS

Dallas, TX

#118588 Mar 8, 2013
"We're just not interested in the facts, are we"?

Why sure we are. That's why we're waiting for you to tell us how Obama has reduced the deficit Einstein.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

#118590 Mar 9, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know you love fox news. They say it, you say it. What else is new?
Typical lib. When you can't respond to facts, just change the subject.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118591 Mar 10, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text> Typical lib. When you can't respond to facts, just change the subject.
Typical tea party chump, nothing to bring.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

#118592 Mar 10, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical tea party chump, nothing to bring.
How about some facts instead of insults for a change, if you're capable of doing so?
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118593 Mar 10, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>How about some facts instead of insults for a change, if you're capable of doing so?
Were you insulting or complementing?
REALFACTS wrote:
"We're just not interested in the facts, are we"?
Why sure we are. That's why we're waiting for you to tell us how Obama has reduced the deficit Einstein.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118594 Mar 11, 2013
joe the cut-n-paste plagiarist wrote:
<quoted text>
So prove this wrong:
You can’t say you care about the debt after blowing the surplus and swearing to all-powerful Grover that you’ll never raise taxes.
You can’t say you’re for a smaller government and then use the government to decide how many forced ultrasounds a woman has to endure to make a medical choice.
You can’t say you’re for fiscal discipline and let Mitt Romney pay a lower tax rate than most nurses.
You can’t say you’re for families and stop millions of Americans from getting the same access to marriage that you have.
You can’t accuse groups that don’t exist of stealing elections and then spend millions making it difficult for anyone but rich, white men to vote.
You can’t say you love America and be unable to contain your hatred for the President, the First Lady and anyone who doesn't vote Republicans.
People may not know President Obama has cut the deficit each year he’s been in office or that Ronald Reagan actually socialized medicine. But they get it when they’re being treated like a fool. And there is no messaging, no rebranding that will make that okay with most people.
That's it, joe? Mindlessly plagiarizing some other mindless lib blog and passing it off as your own intellectual product?

http://www.eclectablog.com/2013/02/why-do-mor...

Is that all you got? Is that what you do? Or do you have some thoughts of your own on the subject you'd like to share?
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118595 Mar 11, 2013
joe wrote:
a study released Wednesday by Boston Children’s Hospital, in collaboration with Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, finds that states with more restrictive gun laws have the fewest deaths as a result of gun violence.
O rly. Interesting. Cite and/or link, please.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118596 Mar 11, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it, joe? Mindlessly plagiarizing some other mindless lib blog and passing it off as your own intellectual product?
http://www.eclectablog.com/2013/02/why-do-mor...
Is that all you got? Is that what you do? Or do you have some thoughts of your own on the subject you'd like to share?
No, actually I have no thoughts of my own. So I guess you'll have to just ignore my posts. Thanks.

I will continue to post things to counter the propaganda and fox news garbage you and your right-wing cohorts re-post and restate and claim to be your own "thoughts".

Thanks again.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118597 Mar 11, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually I have no thoughts of my own. So I guess you'll have to just ignore my posts. Thanks.
Good advice, that I'm sure will be widely embraced by all serious & informed readers on the site.

Ciao, baby!
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118598 Mar 11, 2013
Yes, Liberals are more decent and American than...er, others.

It was ten years ago tonight that the Dixie Chicks, extremely popular then and far from controversial, caused a massive stir when singer Natalie Maines declared on stage in London:“Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas.” It was a little more than a week before their fellow Texan launched a war based on lies.

Of course, hatred was quickly spewed in the Chicks’ direction by media types, political figures and country music yahoos—who never then or now get so excited when right-wing entertainers and media celebs make threats against a Democratic president.

Boycotts were immediately announced. Maines clarified two days later,“I feel the president is ignoring the opinions of many in the US and alienating the rest of the world.” But record sales and advance sales of concert tickets plunged.

Maines then issued an apology, of sorts:“As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers’ lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American.”
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#118599 Mar 11, 2013
joe wrote:
We're just not interested in the facts, are we?
... a study released Wednesday by Boston Children’s Hospital, in collaboration with Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health, finds that states with more restrictive gun laws have the fewest deaths as a result of gun violence.
Still waiting for that cite & link, joe - because, you know, we're all about the facts ...

Get right back to us on that, ok?

Thanks.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#118600 Mar 11, 2013
joe wrote:
Yes, Liberals are more decent and American than...er, others.
It was ten years ago tonight that the Dixie Chicks, extremely popular then and far from controversial, caused a massive stir when singer Natalie Maines declared on stage in London:“Just so you know, we’re on the good side with y’all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we’re ashamed that the president of the United States is from Texas.” It was a little more than a week before their fellow Texan launched a war based on lies.
Of course, hatred was quickly spewed in the Chicks’ direction by media types, political figures and country music yahoos—who never then or now get so excited when right-wing entertainers and media celebs make threats against a Democratic president.
Boycotts were immediately announced. Maines clarified two days later,“I feel the president is ignoring the opinions of many in the US and alienating the rest of the world.” But record sales and advance sales of concert tickets plunged.
Maines then issued an apology, of sorts:“As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers’ lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American.”
Liberals - SOOOOoo desperate to think well of themselves.

Your heart-rending sanctimonious plagiarism of Greg Mitchell's article in The Nation ...

http://www.thenation.com/blog/173271/ten-year... #

... almost made me cry, there, joe. Almost ...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118601 Mar 11, 2013

http://www.thenation.com/blog/173271/ten-year...

There, that should make you feel better. Now you can appreciate Maines' apology. You'll be hard pressed to find an apology of ANY kind from right wingers. Let's see if you can
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118602 Mar 12, 2013
States with more gun laws have less gun violence!

New study by Boston Children's Hospital finds that tougher laws on guns can have an effect on homicide and suicide rates.

States with more gun laws have fewer gun-related deaths, according to a new study released Wednesday by Boston Children's Hospital.

The leader investigator behind the research hopes the findings will drive legislators to pass gun reform across the country and increase federal funding to research on gun laws and violence. However, at least one critic argues that the study fails to take into account several important factors such as the types of laws, enforcement of laws, and gun ownership rates in states.
"Our research gives clear evidence that laws have a role in preventing firearms deaths," said Eric Fleegler, the study's lead investigator and a pediatric emergency doctor at Boston Children's Hospital. "Legislators should take that into consideration."

Oh look:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

And here:
Firearm Legislation and Firearm-Related Fatalities in the United States
http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx...
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#118603 Mar 12, 2013
joe wrote:
New study by Boston Children's Hospital finds that tougher laws on guns can have an effect on homicide and suicide rates.
States with more gun laws have fewer gun-related deaths, according to a new study released Wednesday by Boston Children's Hospital.
The leader investigator behind the research hopes the findings will drive legislators to pass gun reform across the country and increase federal funding to research on gun laws and violence. However, at least one critic argues that the study fails to take into account several important factors such as the types of laws, enforcement of laws, and gun ownership rates in states.
"Our research gives clear evidence that laws have a role in preventing firearms deaths," said Eric Fleegler, the study's lead investigator and a pediatric emergency doctor at Boston Children's Hospital. "Legislators should take that into consideration."
Oh look:
And here:
Thanks for the link.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

#118605 Mar 12, 2013
joe wrote:
Oh look:
And here:
One of the biggest unreported factors in reducing gun deaths has nothing to do with gun laws, but with substantial improvements in emergency medical care. Lives that would have been lost years ago are being saved today, thanks to better treatment by paramedics in the field, and doctors in emergency rooms. Much of that experience has been gained by medics, doctors and nurses who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have received valuable experience in treating gunshot wounds and other trauma.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118606 Mar 12, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>One of the biggest unreported factors in reducing gun deaths has nothing to do with gun laws, but with substantial improvements in emergency medical care. Lives that would have been lost years ago are being saved today, thanks to better treatment by paramedics in the field, and doctors in emergency rooms. Much of that experience has been gained by medics, doctors and nurses who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have received valuable experience in treating gunshot wounds and other trauma.
I guess verification and reference links are only required by those of the Progressive persuasion, eh? And how neatly you avoid the primary CAUSE of gun caused injury and death. That would be GUNS for you on the slow spectrum.

You also overlooked the huge number of maimed and brain injured veterans without having to address how unnecessary those deaths and injuries were in the first place. Even though Bush and Cheney lied us into the Iraq war, not to worry, look at all the medical knowledge we gained on our soldiers. Not to mention the cost to continue to provide care, perhaps for the rest of their lives.

And how exactly does that have anything to do with:
States with MORE GUN LAWS have LESS GUN VIOLENCE!

Typical right wing deep and thoughtful analysis.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#118607 Mar 12, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
States with MORE GUN LAWS have LESS GUN VIOLENCE!
Typical right wing deep and thoughtful analysis.
Whoh, kemosabe - not so fast.

Kudos to you for actually linking the study you cited earlier - it will be interesting to see how it survives the comment cycle - but that study ONLY purports to establish a correlation (not any causal link, mind you) between GUN LAWS and FIREARMS FATALITIES (data including voluntary suicides, accidents, etc.). That's it. It provides no evidence of statistical correlation between gun laws and gun VIOLENCE.

On that score, the literature says you're quite wrong - gun laws DO NOT correlate with lower rates of violent crime generally, or gun violence in particular.

Example:

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_con...

There are many other studies showing more gun laws do not reduce violent crime - in fact the preponderance of available evidence says quite the opposite.

You're doing well - don't blow it by letting your ideological biases get the better of your intellectual honesty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Realtime 1,216,550
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Scrutiny 186,846
News From the scene of downtown shooting: 'It looked... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr timmy 71,939
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Cheftell 69,599
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Mothra 52,693
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr curiousity 99,353
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]