Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.
Comments
109,041 - 109,060 of 109,596 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2013
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

The teen pregnancy rate in New York City dropped by 27 percent over the last decade, a statistic that city officials credit to teens’ expanded access to contraception.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

More news for you:

The world’s top 100 billionaires now hold so much wealth, says a new Oxfam report, that just the increase in their net worth last year would be “enough to make extreme poverty history four times over.”
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

joe wrote:
Your chutzpah is what's impressive. And you're ridiculous flacking for the Heritage/Koch/Crypto-Corporate League is even more enchanting.
Oooh. The rage of the angry leftist tool. When confronted with inconvenient facts, rage, bluster, ridicule, and fling ad homs.

We understand.
joe wrote:
And who do you think you're taking in with that post-1945 garbage? The country hadn't just been raped by Wall Street and the Republicans.

Naw - just raped by Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolini.

Your point? Oh, that's right - you have none - except angry leftist class warrior partisan spew.

Government-forced spending (consumption) is Government-forced spending, whether it's on guns, beans, or butter. It is ALWAYS sub-optimal in economic terms.

[QUOTE who="joe"]We moved from a war economy to a peacetime economy and the expansion came from employed citizens with money and pent-up consumer demand, a G.I. Bill and Federal Government housing subsidies, you azs.
That's your ideologically-biased spin.

I guess we disagree.

I just have a small question for you, joe: where do you think all the capital to fund those payrolls, build & convert factories to production of consumer goods, pay for those expanded inventories, and fund the PRINCIPAL for those gov't-subsidized home loans came from? The Magic Money Tree in which the progressive left seems so fervently to believe?
joe wrote:
We don't really need you're right wing fascistic references to "study". We know what crap they dish out.
No, it's clear your partisan brain-freeze does not need anything that exposes the absurdities of the progressive leftist ideology.

So just keep chanting in your leftist class warrior echo chamber with the rest of your comrades.
joe wrote:
Oh, and btw, there is no lack of money available to invest in case you haven't noticed.
Really. And why is all that that money not being invested, joe? Please explain.
joe wrote:
And again: What other country is prospering by cutting deficits? Name one, dick wad.
"Dick wad?" Do you kiss your Mom with that mouth?

Sorry - I don't respond to snotty rhetorical questions from ill-mannered punks.

Apologize - and maybe we can continue our conversation.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

joe wrote:
More news for you:
The world’s top 100 billionaires now hold so much wealth, says a new Oxfam report, that just the increase in their net worth last year would be “enough to make extreme poverty history four times over.”
... for a year. Then you'll need to find another 100 billionaires to shake down to get you through the following year.

See - that's the fallacy of your little progressive wealth-redistributionist fantasy world, joe -

Pretty soon you run out of billionaires. Ask the former Soviet Republic how that works out in the long run ...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Hey, Teddy-

Take your Randian twaddle and peddle it to your tea party comrades. Every financial debacle this country has had was caused by right wing sponsored concentration of wealth. And every great expansion has come with the break-up and and re-distribution of that wealth.

Just because you live in an alternate universe doesn't mean everyone does.

No apology, so don't bother answering. You promised.

“Fair & Balanced”

Since: Jul 12

wherever there's a mine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

G'day Mate.

Ok I think all governments don't have the intelligence to tie their shoe laces but today I read your government spent $4 trillion in all stimulus packages since the GFC. Was the money well spent considering it equates to 22 million jobs on wages of $30k for 6 years.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

God said,“I need someone who doesn’t grow anything or make anything but who will borrow money from the public at 0% interest and then lend it back to the public at 2% or 5% or 10% and pay himself a bonus for doing so.”-- So God made a banker.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

Across the country, the economy is slowly but steadily improving. More companies are hiring, consumers are spending again, the stock market is tickling record highs and many Americans say they are feeling more optimistic about the future.

But Wisconsin stands somewhat apart from this trend, consistently and stubbornly lagging in job creation and finding itself near the bottom of many measures of economic health.

So what gives? Some observers point to Gov. Scott Walker and the Republican-controlled Legislature. They say the drastic spending cuts in the 2011-2013 state budget, just as the economy was beginning to recover from the recession, have actually made things worse.

“Wisconsin did absolutely the wrong thing at the wrong time,” says Kenneth Thomas, a political scientist at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and author of the popular Middle Class Political Economist blog.“You want to practice austerity when things are going well, not the other way around.”

Read more: http://host.madison.com/business/did-scott-wa...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Bill Gates: ‘Absolutely Insane’ to Run a Business With a Short-Term Budget, As Congress Does
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Republicans have invented a history in which it has been fiscal irresponsibility all along — and far too many centrists have bought into the premise. The reality is that we had low debt and no fiscal problem before Reagan; then an unprecedented surge in peacetime, non-depression deficits under Reagan/Bush; then a major improvement under Clinton; then a squandering of the Clinton surplus via tax cuts and unfunded wars of choice under Bush. And yes, a surge in debt once the Great Recession hit, but that’s exactly when you should be running deficits.

The point about the fake history that expunges the Clinton years is that it turns the budget into a story in which nobody is at fault because everyone is at fault, and the problem is a generic issue of runaway spending. No, it isn’t; we would have come into this crisis with very little debt if the GOP hadn’t always insisted on tax cuts.

-Paul Krugman
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

joe wrote:
God said,“I need someone who doesn’t grow anything or make anything but who will borrow money from the public at 0% interest and then lend it back to the public at 2% or 5% or 10% and pay himself a bonus for doing so.”-- So God made a banker.
Your blaming behavior is, as usual, woefully off-target.

You should be excoriating the POTUS and his Treasury Sec'y who are responsible for creating all that fake money on the back of un-born generat5ions of Americans in the first place, aiding and abetting the Fed handing that 0% money out to the banks in the first place.

Why are you so careful NOT to point the finger at the incompetent fools and crooks in Washington who are the root cause of this evil?
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2013

Judged:

joe wrote:
Bill Gates:‘Absolutely Insane’ to Run a Business With a Short-Term Budget, As Congress Does
He is, of course, absolutely correct.

But the true depth of the current Obama/Reid corruption and incompetence that is ruining the nation runs far deeper.

They've been mis-managing the public purse for 4 years thus far WITH NO BUDGET AT ALL!! In the private sector, they'd have been thown in jail for such fraud and malfeasance, the lot of 'em.

Let's start with demanding they get a BUDGET in place ON TIME for a change.

Then we can talk about how we can bludgeon the federal government into implementing a CAPITAL BUDGETI9NG process (which is what Gates is talking about)

But now? First things first - apply tourniquet; stop the fiscal arterial bleeding.
Floridum

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

I am still dancing in the rain...and.........
I can copy and paste bullshit for a week without thinking or working.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

For your edification:

Last year, economist Emmanuel Saez estimated that the richest 1 percent of the U.S. captured a whopping 93 percent of the income gains in 2010, as the U.S. was emerging from the Great Recession.

Saez is now back with updated numbers from 2011, and they make the picture look even grimmer:
From 2009 to 2011, average real income per family grew modestly by 1.7% But the gains were very uneven. Top 1% incomes grew by 11.2% while bottom 99% incomes shrunk by 0.4%. Hence, the top 1% captured 121% of the income gains in the first two years of the recovery.

From 2009 to 2010, top 1% grew fast and then stagnated from 2010 to 2011. Bottom 99% stagnated both from 2009 to 2010 and from 2010 to 2011.

How is it possible for the 1 percent to capture more than all of the nation’s income gains? The number is due to the fact that those at the bottom saw their incomes drop. As Timothy Noah explained in the New Republic,“the one percent didn’t just gobble up all of the recovery during 2010 and 2011; it put the 99 percent back into recession.”

Saez added that “In 2012, top 1% income will likely surge, due to booming stock-prices, as well as re-timing of income to avoid the higher 2013 top tax rates…This suggests that the Great Recession has only depressed top income shares temporarily and will not undo any of the dramatic increase in top income shares that has taken place since the 1970s.”
quzluz

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

http://youtube.com/watch... ……
Goverment at Work,,?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

O dummer still hasn't delivered on those jobs, has he?
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Great Guns wrote:
O dummer still hasn't delivered on those jobs, has he?
Why he most certainly has. You must not be reading the news.
Ela

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

I finished college since 2007 and i cudn't even get a job.I tried several means but to no avail.I had to start my own business,again i needed finance.I tried getting loans from the bank but they wudn't even grant me.Until i came across a loan company and i gave it a try.Suprisely,i secured a loan from them and now i have a restaurant in dallas.For those persons stil waiting for obama to provide jobs,u can start something doing yoursef.Try getting a capital from the bank if your credit score is good enough.But for those persons whose credit history is poor,you can contact this private investor at philsmithinvestments@gmail.com .......God bless you
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Some more truth Republicans don't like:

2002: U.S. Consulate In Karachi, Pakistan, Attacked; 10 Killed, 51 Injured

2004: U.S. Embassy Bombed In Uzbekistan

2004: Gunmen Stormed U.S. Consulate In Saudi Arabia

2006: Armed Men Attacked U.S. Embassy In Syria

2007: Grenade Launched Into U.S. Embassy In Athens

2008: Rioters Set Fire To U.S. Embassy In Serbia

2008: Ten People Killed In Bombings At U.S. Embassy In Yemen

There’s absolutely no denying that the terrorist attack on our embassy in Benghazi is a tragedy, and it’s imperative that those responsible for the attack are held accountable, it’s also important to have a little historical perspective and context.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

joe the plagiarizing Obama suck-bot wrote:
Some more truth Republicans don't like:
2002: U.S. Consulate In Karachi, Pakistan, Attacked; 10 Killed, 51 Injured
Propaganda orders from mediamatters central office now, joe? Or are you just plagiarizing them?

10 Killed, 51 Injured? Right. All Pakis. No Americans killed or injured. And the White House didn't LIE ABOUT IT.
joe wrote:
2004: U.S. Embassy Bombed In Uzbekistan
Right. 2 Uzbek security guards killed. No Americans killed or injured. And the White House didn't LIE ABOUT IT.
joe wrote:
2004: Gunmen Stormed U.S. Consulate In Saudi Arabia
Right. Shooters never entered the consulate. Five civilians and the gunmen were killed, ten people were wounded. No Americans killed or injured. And the White House didn't LIE ABOUT IT.
joe wrote:
2006: Armed Men Attacked U.S. Embassy In Syria
Right. Three gunmen killed after they tossed grenades over the embassy's outer wall and a car bomb exploded outside the embassy. A Syrian security guard and a Chinese diplomat died.

No Americans killed or injured. And the White House didn't LIE ABOUT IT.
joe wrote:
2007: Grenade Launched Into U.S. Embassy In Athens
Right. An RPG fired into the front of the U.S. embassy around 6 am in the morning. No one was killed or hurt.

And the White House didn't LIE ABOUT IT.
joe wrote:
2008: Rioters Set Fire To U.S. Embassy In Serbia
<yawn>.
And the British Embassy.
And the Croatian Embassy.
And the Bosnian Embassy.
And the Turkish Embassy.

joe wrote:
2008: Ten People Killed In Bombings At U.S. Embassy In Yemen
Right. 19 people died and at least 16 were injured when a group of men disguised at police attacked the outer security rim of the U.S. embassy.

joe wrote:
There’s absolutely no denying that the terrorist attack on our embassy in Benghazi is a tragedy, and it’s imperative that those responsible for the attack are held accountable, it’s also important to have a little historical perspective and context.
Yes, joe it is. And you have NO PERSPECTIVE - just your usual dose of partisan rubbish.

NONE of these previous episodes even approach the abject incompetence that left 4 AMERICANS DEAD in Benghazi because they were there with COMPLETELY INADEQUATE SECURITY.

NONE of these previous episodes even approach the craven corrupt LIES put out by the present administration to cover their sorry political asses.

INCOMPETENCE, joe.

LYING, joe.

That's why Benghazi matters, and why it stands out as such an unprecedented example of blatant and epic failure, and DISHONESTY to the American People.

Are you always this pathetically incompetent yourself as a propagandist? Di you think you could just post this kind of lying mediamatters bullshit and not get called on it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••