Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday 109,591
President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs. Full Story
Say the Truth

Lansdale, PA

#118372 Dec 22, 2012
joe wrote:
In 1619, the Virginia House of Burgesses passed a law making the transfer of guns to Native Americans punishable by death. Other laws across the colonies criminalized selling or giving firearms to slaves, indentured servants, Catholics, vagrants and those who refused to swear a loyalty oath to revolutionary forces. Guns could be confiscated or kept in central locations for the defense of the community. And in the late 1700s and early 1800s, the state and federal governments conducted several arms censuses.(Imagine what the NRA would say if government officials went door to door today asking people how many guns they owned and whether they were functional.)
On the western frontier in the 19th century, to stave off violence, new towns and cities enacted laws to bar carrying guns. In fact, the typical western town had stricter gun laws than many 21st-century states. Today, four states have completely eliminated permits for handgun ownership and carrying.
"pla·gia·rism
[pley-juh-riz-uh m,- jee-uh-riz-] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author..."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plagia...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118373 Dec 22, 2012
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"pla·gia·rism
[pley-juh-riz-uh&#8201;m,- jee-uh-riz-] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of using or closely imitating the language and thoughts of another author without authorization and the representation of that author's work as one's own, as by not crediting the original author..."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plagia...
Oh, sorry ass wipe, I thought you actually read stuff. Here it is again. Can't wait to hear your dumb ass response, not.

In 1619, the Virginia House of Burgesses passed a law making the transfer of guns to Native Americans punishable by death. Other laws across the colonies criminalized selling or giving firearms to slaves, indentured servants, Catholics, vagrants and those who refused to swear a loyalty oath to revolutionary forces. Guns could be confiscated or kept in central locations for the defense of the community. And in the late 1700s and early 1800s, the state and federal governments conducted several arms censuses.(Imagine what the NRA would say if government officials went door to door today asking people how many guns they owned and whether they were functional.)

On the western frontier in the 19th century, to stave off violence, new towns and cities enacted laws to bar carrying guns. In fact, the typical western town had stricter gun laws than many 21st-century states. Today, four states have completely eliminated permits for handgun ownership and carrying.

The Second Amendment wasn't intended to protect the right of Americans to rise up against a tyrannical government.

This canard is repeated with disturbing frequency. The Constitution, in Article I, allows armed citizens in militias to “suppress Insurrections,” not cause them. The Constitution defines treason as “levying War” against the government in Article III, and the states can ask the federal government for assistance “against domestic Violence” under Article IV.

Our system provides peaceful means for citizens to air grievances and change policy, from the ballot box to the jury box to the right to peaceably assemble. If violence against an oppressive government were somehow countenanced in the Second Amendment, then Timothy McVeigh and Lee Harvey Oswald would have been vindicated for their heinous actions. But as constitutional scholar Roscoe Pound noted, a “legal right of the citizen to wage war on the government is something that cannot be admitted” because it would “defeat the whole Bill of Rights”— including the Second Amendment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-m...
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#118374 Dec 23, 2012
Yeah, well - that's just Mr. Spitzer's liberal gun-grabbing opinion.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118375 Dec 24, 2012
Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118377 Jan 2, 2013
Looks like the Republican party is in serious self-destruct mode. Can they get any more absurd?
TrollBot

Houston, TX

#118378 Jan 3, 2013
joe wrote:
Looks like the Republican party is in serious self-destruct mode. Can they get any more absurd?
Troll. Ignore.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118379 Jan 3, 2013
As per news today: Yes they can.
yes

Yonkers, NY

#118380 Jan 4, 2013
joe wrote:
Agreed.
There's more to come.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118381 Jan 6, 2013
American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer today blew up over the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), warning in a blog post that “ENDA would represent the return of Jim Crow laws.”

On his radio program Focal Point, Fischer warned that if ENDA is signed into law businesses will be faced with a barrage of “flaming homosexual” job applicants.

“The homosexual lobby,” Fischer said,“will send a guy in there wearing stilettos, a dress and dangly earrings” in order to provoke Christian business-owners “not to hire him.”
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118382 Jan 6, 2013
Conservative critics of federal social programs keep sounding the alarm that the United States is rapidly becoming an “entitlement society” in which social programs are undermining the work ethic and creating a large class of Americans who prefer to depend on government benefits rather than work.

A new CBPP analysis of budget and Census data, however, shows that more than 90 percent of the benefit dollars that entitlement and other mandatory programs spend go to assist people who are elderly, seriously disabled, or members of working households — not to able-bodied, working-age Americans who choose not to work.
yes

Yonkers, NY

#118384 Jan 9, 2013
joe wrote:
American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer today blew up over the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), warning in a blog post that “ENDA would represent the return of Jim Crow laws.”
On his radio program Focal Point, Fischer warned that if ENDA is signed into law businesses will be faced with a barrage of “flaming homosexual” job applicants.
“The homosexual lobby,” Fischer said,“will send a guy in there wearing stilettos, a dress and dangly earrings” in order to provoke Christian business-owners “not to hire him.”
What planet do these kooky so called "conservatives" come from?
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118385 Jan 9, 2013
yes wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet do these kooky so called "conservatives" come from?
I believe the planet is called "Gerrymandering".
Say the Truth

Lansdale, PA

#118386 Jan 9, 2013
joe or joanne wrote:
Says the Marin County fruit who wears stilettos, a dress and dangly earrings (but only when going "out on the town".) Not that there's anything wrong with that...
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118388 Jan 9, 2013
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the Marin County fruit who wears stilettos, a dress and dangly earrings (but only when going "out on the town".) Not that there's anything wrong with that...
\

You really say a lot about yourself, don't you? You need some professional help, my friend.
crzzzd

Rochester, PA

#118389 Jan 9, 2013
youtube.com/watch...
Win Some.Lose Some
yes

Yonkers, NY

#118390 Jan 9, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the planet is called "Gerrymandering".
That's believable among the others they come from.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#118391 Jan 11, 2013
Still no jobs. Good job Obama.
nac

Patchogue, NY

#118392 Jan 11, 2013
joe wrote:
The Second Amendment wasn't intended to protect the right of Americans to rise up against a tyrannical government.
This canard is repeated with disturbing frequency. The Constitution, in Article I, allows armed citizens in militias to “suppress Insurrections,” not cause them. The Constitution defines treason as “levying War” against the government in Article III, and the states can ask the federal government for assistance “against domestic Violence” under Article IV.
Our system provides peaceful means for citizens to air grievances and change policy, from the ballot box to the jury box to the right to peaceably assemble. If violence against an oppressive government were somehow countenanced in the Second Amendment, then Timothy McVeigh and Lee Harvey Oswald would have been vindicated for their heinous actions. But as constitutional scholar Roscoe Pound noted, a “legal right of the citizen to wage war on the government is something that cannot be admitted” because it would “defeat the whole Bill of Rights”— including the Second Amendment.
Not surprisingly, you've got this completely backwards. The 2nd Amendment, i.e an armed populace was intended to PREVENT the government from getting tyrannical ideas. If the government knows that we CAN fight back, in theory they will act in the interests of the people and not against the interests of the people.

It is becoming less effective however (see: NDAA).

Imagine what they'll they'll try if we are nothing more than sitting ducks? We NEED the right to bear arms. If history tells us anything, it is that.

Problem is, we've become a nation of sheep (people like you and Piers Morgan) that don't understand this. History, if you understood it at all, would tell you that where there are sheep... the wolves will soon follow.

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#118394 Jan 15, 2013
Well... Obama did it! He managed to put us in debt by another $6 Trillion in four years. January 20th 2009 the debt stood at $10.644 trillion. Today it stands at $16.644 trillion. And he says we don't have a spending problem...
Uma

Alpharetta, GA

#118397 Jan 16, 2013
Indian(American citizen ) in IT field.Very Hard to get or keep my JOB

I have been in two jobs in last 2 years and looking for new job. It's been very hard for me to get a job. I see a lot has changed for me in last year or two. My recruiter says I did very well at the interview but....Some how i feel like i am getting no where with multiple leads. I don't know what's going on but it's very different form 92 or 2002 when economy slowed....I just hope i get me job soon and get back to work so i will be contributing American citizen again...

I Just find one thing in comman with all HR/recruiters call me they are all on LinkedIn and Facebook page...this new graduate batch has very different way of doing things...they say they will forward resume to manager and i think they never do...All my calls are going that way...What am i to do as job seeker that's is only path i have to take to get a job....

I am a good person, hard worker and highly qualified and fortunate enough to have had chance to work with highly regarded companies with very quality projects in past 15 years of experience and am still humble to get a job...Don't know what has happened to this IT field..it's not the same ...May it's my frustration to get a job talking ..i don't know...Hope you all understand

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 min Just Making It Al... 47,481
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RealDave 1,124,828
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 53 min Sgt Prepper 179,268
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 50,590
Abby 10-21 1 hr edogxxx 2
Amy 10-21 1 hr edogxxx 2
$15/hr. for fast food employees..... 1 hr Ha Ha 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]