Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.
Comments
108,861 - 108,880 of 109,596 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2013

Since: Jul 12

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
So the job losses being announced by American companies that are going to be hugely affected by BarryCare are the fault of the republicans? I don't remember even one single republican voting for that job killing act. Thousands are losing their jobs over the next month or two as a result. Doctors are retiring in record numbers. So your telling me that more money is the problem with getting our veterans the services they need? That could only make sense to a liberal.
First you are assuming that the job losses being announced are directly related to Obamacare.

Second, why would any lay-offs occur so early, even before it costs a corporation a dime?

Finally, some companies that were listed on "the list" such as Boeing have absolutely no need to layoff anyone due to Obamacare. The insurance program that they have carried for the last 20 years more than meets anything required by Obamacare......and yet it was on "the list." HINT: The list is a sham.

Show me one place I said more money was necessary to get Vets needed care.

SHow me one reason ANY business would layoff now due to Obamacare.
Community Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Will Obama invest billions of US taxpayers money to save the Twinkie?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

same old song and dance never changes just more bs and more lyes . i vote ted nugent for leader i would promis u he would have a plain and not put america down

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

joe wrote:
GQ: How old do you think the Earth is?
Marco Rubio: I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries.
Should be a fun four years.
I don't understand your comment on the article. What are you trying to say? I thought he gave a well balanced answer without forcing his personal beliefs on everyone else.

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand your comment on the article. What are you trying to say? I thought he gave a well balanced answer without forcing his personal beliefs on everyone else.
Did Rubio commit to any answer or even say he had a preference for one answer over the other?

We will be hearing this again in 3 years.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Rubio commit to any answer or even say he had a preference for one answer over the other?
We will be hearing this again in 3 years.
No, he did not. Again, I thought he gave a very balanced answer that there is room for discussion of all points of view. So what is wrong with that?

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
No, he did not. Again, I thought he gave a very balanced answer that there is room for discussion of all points of view. So what is wrong with that?
Because the discussion do not belong in the same place for the most part. One discussion belongs in school science classes and the other belongs in church or at home.

The alternative of course is to allow the discussion in school and in church with each saying the other is wrong.

I will go one further, the day that people start looking at religion and science as equals, religion will lose. Science is backed by physical evidence and experimentation that is reproducable. As a general rule, the world of science, world-wide is in general agreement over most things.

You can not even get religion to agree much with other religions or even within itself. Catholicism, the largest Christian religion has no problem with evolution or with world being old. Even a majority of Protestants do not believe young earth ideas.

“Impeach Obama!”

Since: Jul 08

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Obama Welfare Motors wrote:
More from the Government Motors scam:
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/worker...
India is the world's largest democracy. Why not ship Government Motor jobs off to India, which is the main rival to Chinese hegemony in South Asia?

Per capita GDP is much lower in India than the United States. So, why do greedy and overpaid American Union Scum hate the poor people of India so much?

Just sayin'

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the discussion do not belong in the same place for the most part. One discussion belongs in school science classes and the other belongs in church or at home.
The alternative of course is to allow the discussion in school and in church with each saying the other is wrong.
I will go one further, the day that people start looking at religion and science as equals, religion will lose. Science is backed by physical evidence and experimentation that is reproducable. As a general rule, the world of science, world-wide is in general agreement over most things.
You can not even get religion to agree much with other religions or even within itself. Catholicism, the largest Christian religion has no problem with evolution or with world being old. Even a majority of Protestants do not believe young earth ideas.
Why the fear of allowing discussion on differing views in schools? I don't believe in a young earth but at the same time, I have a very difficult time accepting that we are an accidental product of the big bang. The odds are stacked so tremendously against it that it isn't even feasible let alone reproducible. If minds are to be opened to ideas in the search for truth, then all possibilities need to be presented. They don't need to be promoted but just presented as ideas.

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the fear of allowing discussion on differing views in schools? I don't believe in a young earth but at the same time, I have a very difficult time accepting that we are an accidental product of the big bang. The odds are stacked so tremendously against it that it isn't even feasible let alone reproducible. If minds are to be opened to ideas in the search for truth, then all possibilities need to be presented. They don't need to be promoted but just presented as ideas.
If you want church views made to look silly in science class go for it. And understand, there are about as many different church views as there are religions. What are the churches that believe in creationism and "new" earth going to say when the HS science teacher shows students how silly those idea's are?

Are we going to teach the Catholic view and the Hopi Indian beliefs as well?

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW: I am all for an elective course comparing religions and their beliefs.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality check:

Any public official/candidate/office holder who says he doesn't know the answer to that question is a LIAR! They are not equal conclusions. The age of the planet is a known FACT, period. What the Bible says is a BELIEF.

This is why the Republican party is doomed. You guys don't know the difference. And you don't have ANY tolerance for people who don't go along with your mistaken ideas about the world we ALL live in.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

A prosecutor in Wisconsin said Monday that Gov. Scott Walker(R) and top aides participated in a scheme to run campaign operations from government-owned offices, according to a report by The Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel.

Monday’s hearing resulted in former Walker deputy chief of staff Kelly M. Rindfleisch being sentenced to six months in prison and three years of probation for knowingly attending to campaign duties while working on county time during the last year of Walker’s term as executive of Milwaukee County.

Assistant District Attorney Bruce Landgraf reportedly claimed that Rindfleisch was just one member of what Walker had designated as a campaign group within his inner-circles. The group was said to include top county officials, along with Walker himself.

Landgraf added that the campaign group was so involved in county business that they were vetting public news releases and coordinating conference calls to make sure the county office was “in sync” with the campaign.

Though the investigation is still ongoing, the prosecutor did not say whether Walker is being targeted. Walker’s former top aide, chief of staff Timothy Russell, faces trial for embezzlement next month.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality check:
Any public official/candidate/office holder who says he doesn't know the answer to that question is a LIAR! They are not equal conclusions. The age of the planet is a known FACT, period. What the Bible says is a BELIEF.
This is why the Republican party is doomed. You guys don't know the difference. And you don't have ANY tolerance for people who don't go along with your mistaken ideas about the world we ALL live in.
Uhhhhh, who's being intolerant?

The Bible actually says many different things to different people. I happen to believe that the earth is about as old as the scientists say but I also happen to believe that the creation was a directed event just due to the overwhelming odds that we would exist merely from an accident. Yes, there are some who take the Bible literally when it says "days" to describe the creation process. I happen to disagree with that point of view so you can't just lump every person who believes in the Bible into a single group.
Now, what scientists say about the creation is also a belief because none of them were there to witness it. They've got some pretty strong evidence for certain events but it is still a belief and a belief that will probably continue to evolve as more information is discovered. They can't replicate and prove their belief no more than a creationist can prove that they are right.
I still believe that the answer that was given was a well balanced answer without trying to take sides but merely leaving it up to an open mind.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want church views made to look silly in science class go for it. And understand, there are about as many different church views as there are religions. What are the churches that believe in creationism and "new" earth going to say when the HS science teacher shows students how silly those idea's are?
Are we going to teach the Catholic view and the Hopi Indian beliefs as well?
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. There is a difference between teaching something and presenting something. I have proposed the latter. When I teach that two plus two equals four, that is a fact. When I say that there are differing views on how the world was created and here are some of them, I am presenting information that is left for the individual to think about and pursue should they so desire but it is not presented as fact. Do we need to fear information or thought? I don't think so.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible actually says many different things to different people. I happen to believe that the earth is about as old as the scientists say but I also happen to believe that the creation was a directed event just due to the overwhelming odds that we would exist merely from an accident. Yes, there are some who take the Bible literally when it says "days" to describe the creation process. I happen to disagree with that point of view so you can't just lump every person who believes in the Bible into a single group.
Now, what scientists say about the creation is also a belief because none of them were there to witness it. They've got some pretty strong evidence for certain events but it is still a belief and a belief that will probably continue to evolve as more information is discovered. They can't replicate and prove their belief no more than a creationist can prove that they are right.
I still believe that the answer that was given was a well balanced answer without trying to take sides but merely leaving it up to an open mind.
The question was: How old do you think the Earth is?

Pretty simple question. Why the convoluted answer? Rubio was the one who went off the rails by trying to dodge a direct question. You answered it and then also went into creation-ism type unrelated stuff that is in the province of religion. No one cares which of the hundreds of religious explanations about creation you want to believe in but science says:

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich minerals showed that some were in excess of a billion years old.

There is no alternative based on anybody's religious belief. The correct answer is science the other is/are religion, mysticism, fantasy, personal guessing, fairy tale, etc. They are not equivalent things, do you understand? Gravity is not the same as heaven.

And as long as fundamentalist thinking continues to require our children to be told that the way the world works is merely how one decides what to believe they will continue to become more and more irrelevant and ridiculous.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

And, I might add, that's why the Republican party was so soundly defeated. Most Americans do not believe any longer in the Republican fantasy of "job creators". Jobs are created when there is, a prior i, a desire or need by consumers for products and services. That's why your fantasy "job creator's" aren't hiring. And it's also why government can help the economy by creating public jobs for people. It puts money in pockets, get it? It facilitates spending.

Capitol Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference is one is a point of view or belief and the other is based on science. It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has to do with the proper place to "teach" things.

Scientists say very little to nothing about creation and what they do say before they have evidence to prove it is widely recognized within the scientific community (meaning they know they don't have proof).

What they do know they can prove scientifically. I don't have to be present when someone has been shot to figure out what happened.

I told you before, put them (science and religion) in the same classroom and religion will lose. And when it loses people will stop believing.

Capitol Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you misunderstand what I am saying. There is a difference between teaching something and presenting something. I have proposed the latter. When I teach that two plus two equals four, that is a fact. When I say that there are differing views on how the world was created and here are some of them, I am presenting information that is left for the individual to think about and pursue should they so desire but it is not presented as fact. Do we need to fear information or thought? I don't think so.
Provided churches are required to do the same thing and parents are required to do the same thing.....

But it does sound like something that would presented as a comparative religion class and in that context.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Believe it or not, the federal deficit has fallen faster over the past three years than it has in any such stretch since demobilization from World War II.

In fact, outside of that post-WWII era, the only time the deficit has fallen faster was when the economy relapsed in 1937, turning the Great Depression into a decade-long affair.

If U.S. history offers any guide, we are already testing the speed limits of a fiscal consolidation that doesn't risk backfiring. That's why the best way to address the fiscal cliff likely is to postpone it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abby 8-22 4 min Toj 5
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Aphelion 1,096,258
Chicagoans head to Ferguson to join protests 10 min reality is a crutch 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 10 min Pippa 97,832
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 30 min JOEL 68,855
Defrocked priest pleads not guilty to new sex a... 30 min nOgOd 2
Word (Dec '08) 43 min not a ghost 4,634
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 176,808

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:28AM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE