Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.
Comments
108,741 - 108,760 of 109,597 Comments Last updated Oct 22, 2013

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Whaddya think?
I like the catch-phrase but you gotta do something about that ugly mug-shot, Pflug.

Since: Jul 12

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be woefully ignorant that there are two houses in Congress and that one of them has been controlled by Harry Reid, a democrat, since (and before) 2011. We have a stalemate so who's comment is the lame one? You know, Boston, I don't know why you feel it is necessary to resort to personal attacks when discussing a subject instead of supporting your views with your beliefs and facts. I can return the attacks (as I did above) but I really find that they don't add to a discussion.
Not ignorant at all. If either the House or the Senate passes an appropriations Bill without one dollar of deficit spending what happens?

A. The other side of Congress accepts it.

OR

B. The other side makes a counter proposal that is acceptable to the first side.

OR

C. Business shuts down until they come to an agreement.

Did the government shut down or did the House agree to the spending without standing their ground?

What is going to be spent in 2013 and will the House stand their ground?

Why is it on the House? Because you already blame the Dems in the Senate and the President and who do you tout to put an end to it?

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I was and still am in favor of Social Security reform. Democrats are the one's who squashed it. Millions of people have been forced to pay into this system and for many of them, it is the only retirement that they will have. You can't just cut it off for them. I see many areas, however, where it can been cut back. Means testing is one of them. What are your solutions to the spending problem?
There is a significant difference between "reform" which will continue to consume taxes and ending it which means no more SS taxes.

It is not my problem that people did not plan for retirement. I find it ironic and full of hypocracy that you would take someone working 40 - 60 hours a week trying to be a productive citizen and would cut off their public assistance but you cry and weep over retiree's that can go back to work.

I am older than 55 and I would willingly do without SS to help my children and grandchildren. As it is I will bank my SS and pass it on to them. But I think it is rather unfair to make them continue paying the taxes when they won't collect and that is exactly what the right proposes.

So, you don't want to cancel it because all the old people paid in. What do you propose to make it right for my kids and grandkids?

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Assumptions. Not what I said. I'm not taking your bait.
What bait, old people helped us get in this mess, what do propose to hold them responsible?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

obama is a lier and he will never change so all u fools that voted him in are responsable for all he dose . no exsuses now i blame it all on you all and him

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

olddogs1964 wrote:
obama is a lier and he will never change so all u fools that voted him in are responsable for all he dose . no exsuses now i blame it all on you all and him
The last time we had a federal politician that even came close to being honest it was Carter. How did that work out for you?

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not ignorant at all. If either the House or the Senate passes an appropriations Bill without one dollar of deficit spending what happens?
A. The other side of Congress accepts it.
OR
B. The other side makes a counter proposal that is acceptable to the first side.
OR
C. Business shuts down until they come to an agreement.
Did the government shut down or did the House agree to the spending without standing their ground?
What is going to be spent in 2013 and will the House stand their ground?
Why is it on the House? Because you already blame the Dems in the Senate and the President and who do you tout to put an end to it?
Actually, the last time that happened, it was the Republicans who got blamed for shutting down the government. They did the right thing but politically it hurt them. However, that being said, I wish they would put aside the political part and do the right thing.
Personally, I feel we are at a point where this economic mess we are in won't be fixed until we have a total collapse of our economy. When that happens, a lot of people are suddenly going to find themselves in a world of hurt because mama-government won't be able to help them. I might be able to weather it all. I have about a years worth of food storage. My house will soon be paid off. I can hunt in the mountains just outside my back door. I have plenty of ammo to protect my assets. I have a couple of generators and some gasoline storage. I have some hard monetary assets stored at home. In other words, I'll get by. Not so the woman in New York who made no preparations for the storm and is now whining and crying that the government isn't taking care of her.
Teddy

Conshohocken, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Judged:

Iran held Carter Hostage so the great communicator would be elected and announce "the hostages are on their way home" right after the election.

Then Reagan got onto the business of sinking american industry and let the muslims continue to blow up embassies and planes.

When Bush finally had enough after nine eleven his second term was up and he didn't have the option of going after the rest of the terrorists . Obama takes credit for Bin Laden and lets the rest of his brothers go while we lose more American soldiers .

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a significant difference between "reform" which will continue to consume taxes and ending it which means no more SS taxes.
It is not my problem that people did not plan for retirement. I find it ironic and full of hypocracy that you would take someone working 40 - 60 hours a week trying to be a productive citizen and would cut off their public assistance but you cry and weep over retiree's that can go back to work.
I am older than 55 and I would willingly do without SS to help my children and grandchildren. As it is I will bank my SS and pass it on to them. But I think it is rather unfair to make them continue paying the taxes when they won't collect and that is exactly what the right proposes.
So, you don't want to cancel it because all the old people paid in. What do you propose to make it right for my kids and grand kids?
Congratulations on being the type of person who has looked to your own future and planned for it. Of course, wasn't this the Republican plan, to allow people to invest their money instead of just giving it to the government run social security program? Cutting social security off in one fell swoop just isn't going to be feasible. Phasing it out over time is. Your kids and grand kids; my kids and grand kids are young enough to make a phased out plan work for them. Again, means testing can be implemented. That is a start. Children benefits can be decreased and means tested. My brothers kids got social security for most of their lives after their mother died even though my brother could very well take care of them. So, I don't think we are really all that far apart when it comes to social security. I would like to see it done away with but not with an guillotine approach.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time we had a federal politician that even came close to being honest it was Carter. How did that work out for you?
Carter honest? You mean the guy that would get off of Air Force One toting his own suitcase (empty) and then toss it to the secret service guys as soon as he was out of the public eye?

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the last time that happened, it was the Republicans who got blamed for shutting down the government. They did the right thing but politically it hurt them. However, that being said, I wish they would put aside the political part and do the right thing.
Personally, I feel we are at a point where this economic mess we are in won't be fixed until we have a total collapse of our economy. When that happens, a lot of people are suddenly going to find themselves in a world of hurt because mama-government won't be able to help them. I might be able to weather it all. I have about a years worth of food storage. My house will soon be paid off. I can hunt in the mountains just outside my back door. I have plenty of ammo to protect my assets. I have a couple of generators and some gasoline storage. I have some hard monetary assets stored at home. In other words, I'll get by. Not so the woman in New York who made no preparations for the storm and is now whining and crying that the government isn't taking care of her.
boehner just gave a talk on the cliff and the President speaks at 1:05 Eastern. If we did not implode in 2008/2009 I don't think we will this time either.

Your guys caved in because it was the right thing to do. Just like they cry about the debt even as they pass the spending.

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Carter honest? You mean the guy that would get off of Air Force One toting his own suitcase (empty) and then toss it to the secret service guys as soon as he was out of the public eye?
I did not say completely honest, I said "that even came close..."
Obamanomics

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Obama is ready to give a jive session on his plans to completely destroy the US economy.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Obamanomics wrote:
Obama is ready to give a jive session on his plans to completely destroy the US economy.
thats his goal is to finish us off so all the muslums can take over
ima

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

promises, promises.....MEAN NOTHING TO the dictator. Right now I read banks...Chase, BOA, Target, K-mart, Bristol Myers, Boeing Aircraft and about 35 other companies including United Blood Services which is laying off 10% of their workers!!! This is the surprise he had for us AFTER ELECTION? thank you my fellow americans for electing the golden messiah once again!!!
Teddy

Conshohocken, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Obamanomics wrote:
Three Star General Petraeus (Head of the CIA) will not testify before Congress about Benghazi because he railed some hairpin . Give me a freakin break . He's afraid he'll wind up like one former CIA Chief floating with the fishes in his pond ? It's protect the commander in chief at all costs , or else .

“Forward - over the cliff!!”

Since: Jul 10

Soetoro, Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the catch-phrase but you gotta do something about that ugly mug-shot, Pflug.
Yeah. I had to get rid of the 1/20/13 image, unfortunately. I'll find a better one for our Stooge Obama.

Only two days after the election, and all hell is breaking out already.

- The Stooge will not negotiate with the Congress on the fiscal cliff - he makes inflammatory speeches in front of a handpicked crowd of delirious Obamatrons.

- Petraeus suddenly resigns, right after the election, so as not to testify on Obama's Benghazi coverup.

- Markets crashing.

- Iranians attacked US aircraft last week, and we find out about it right after the election.

The Stooge has already done irreparable damage. Now, he will finish the job. The country will never recover.

“Forward - over the cliff!!”

Since: Jul 10

Soetoro, Kenya

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Boehner, having again held out an olive branch, only to have it shoved back in his face, should now block EVERYTHING that the Kenyan Stooge proposes.

Put it all on The Kenyan. Boehner should realize that you cannot negotiate with terrorists.

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

<quoted text>
Yeah. I had to get rid of the 1/20/13 image, unfortunately. I'll find a better one for our Stooge Obama.
Only two days after the election, and all hell is breaking out already.
- The Stooge will not negotiate with the Congress on the fiscal cliff - he makes inflammatory speeches in front of a handpicked crowd of delirious Obamatrons.
- Petraeus suddenly resigns, right after the election, so as not to testify on Obama's Benghazi coverup.
- Markets crashing.
- Iranians attacked US aircraft last week, and we find out about it right after the election.
The Stooge has already done irreparable damage. Now, he will finish the job. The country will never recover.
Wrong, he will negotiate. But there will be higher taxes at the top. Other than that, he and his supporters (to include me) are willing to let all the tax cuts expire and start over with new slate. The Republicans can negotiate now or later.

Wrong, Patraeus resigned because the trust was broken. He should have owned up to an affair when he applied for the job.

Wrong, markets are not crashing. Heck, the drop does not even qualify as a correction.

Correct, had it came out just before the election the right would have claimed he was wagging the dog and Romney would have done worse due to his warmongering statements.

The country will recover if the Republicans will stop playing politics and start trying to help do their part in managing the country.

2009 - 2010 had more filibusters than we had in the 50s, 60s and 70s......COMBINED.

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2012

Boehner, having again held out an olive branch, only to have it shoved back in his face, should now block EVERYTHING that the Kenyan Stooge proposes.
Put it all on The Kenyan. Boehner should realize that you cannot negotiate with terrorists.
What they should do is put the conference table out on the front lawn and let the American people see the negotiations up front. Then the American people could decide who should stay and who should go before the 2014 elections.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min flack 1,079,023
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 40 min edogxxx 97,516
Abby 7-24 41 min edogxxx 1
Amy 7-24 44 min edogxxx 1
Obama Gives Trillions for Wall Street, Not a Di... 48 min lolol 12
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 174,513
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Alon 67,898
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT