Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Comments (Page 5,436)

Showing posts 108,701 - 108,720 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
what

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

what?

Since: Jul 12

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about giving certain industries subsidies? These come from the taxpayers. THey must be ok with that.
Excellent point.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

this country wont grow with two divided thoughts

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

olddogs1964 wrote:
this country wont grow with two divided thoughts
The Federalists and the anit-Federalists.

Since: Apr 12

Hunt Valley, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Federalists and the anit-Federalists.
Excellent! People should find the reason that having a weak federal government didn't work. History is funny. It usually predicts future events.

For those of you that can't figure it out, look up why the Articles of Confederation did not work.
what

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

what
Uncle R

Conshohocken, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about giving certain industries subsidies? These come from the taxpayers. THey must be ok with that.
Taxpayers didn't have anything to do with it and most didn't agree with the bailouts and bankruptcy wasted with taxpayer money .

We lost a lot of white votes just like 4 years ago . The copulate to populate gang were 100 % and most don't pay taxes .

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Federal debt was NOT "on its way." You fool. It rose PRECISELY because of federal spending under Obama.$1 trillion plus deficits for four years didn't simply occur, like a hurricane. Obama and Pelosi/Reid built that.
And Pelosi/Reid had a jump start on it starting in 2007 when they controlled Congress.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

About Time wrote:
Where are the Republican posts? Oh, that's right, their candidate lost! Looking forward for the next 4 years of posts where the Republicans posters attempt to say the country is in freefall, redistribution is awful ect, ect, ect.
Sorry I can't be here 'round the clock. Some of us have to work in order for the libs to have their Obama-phones.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
People see an overweight individual and wonder why they continue to over eat.
Americans see a nation in debt and listen to the sugar that Rush and Sean feed them about not needing to pay taxes.
Paying more taxes is not the way to eliminate the debt. The economy needs to grow. Bill Clinton was fortunate enough to be President when we had a booming economy. We were having a technological heyday at that time. That is the reason he was able to get the budget under control. A better economy translates into more tax revenue. What is needed now is an atmosphere that fosters a better economy. Raising taxes does not do that.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at bush's 2009 budget. In January of 2009 before Obama took office the CBO forecast a $1 Tril + deficit for 2009. It was based on a combination of bush's increased spending for 2009 and on reduced revenues due to the downturn.
However, that does not negate the fact that deficits had been ran since 2003 and that Medicare and Social Security were already consuming more and more of the budget.
Since Jaunuary 2011 not one dime has been spent without the approval of the Republican House.
Funny how that trillion dollar deficit started when Pelosi and Reid took over Congress.

Social Security. Unfortunately, it was based on a model that anticipated that people would continue to have children to foot the future bill. The numbers are no longer there.

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
I don't know about democratic and political enlightenment, but yesterday's electoral results make it impossible for me to argue the American people are not presenting themselves as increasingly ignorant in terms of fiscal and economic enlightenment.
That is kind of how I felt, Teddy. We have become a nation of fiscally irresponsible people. The masses have reached a tipping point where they now figure that they can get government to pay for their lifestyle. Why work when you can take it from somebody else? I'm just hoping, but not holding my breath, that Obama got the message that there is still a large part of this country that will not continue to support him in unbridled spending. I'm hoping that he will do as he said and reach across the aisle to find solutions. His first four years were a disaster. He divided us more than we have ever been. I'm hoping he'll see some light and work to bring us together. My way or the highway will not get anything done. As for the masses, I can only shake my head in disgust.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Judged:

CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct, I don't know the ins and outs of American Politics. You're quick to point out that the constituion established a republic but not democracy.
Are you a fan of democracy? do you believe in the people's right to choose their president?
The US points a gun at weaker nations and demands that they adopt democracy. But you yourself aren't willing to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA.
I think the Founders got it about right. I still see wisdom in retaining the Electoral College, and not abandoning it in favor of direct election of the POTUS. While the Founders could not have foreseen some of our modern-day threats to intelligent and orderly public discourse posed by the pseudo-journalistic infotainment and SuperPAC propaganda saturating the elecorate in the post-Citizens United v FEC age, they certainly understood well the dangers of demogogues and ignorant mobs.

I think Americans remain woefully provincial and ignorant of the peoples and forces in play in the real world at large, and as a result we do tend to have foolish notions of exporting "democracy" to many parts of the world that clearly have none of the cultural and historical underpinnings required to make democracy practical or beneficial. It is a peculiarly American delusion, I agree.

Finally, you seem to be confusing a willingness "to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA" (nonsense, really - Obama's re-election is now simply established fact) with a considered and informed judgement that the policies and courses the man intends to pursue in his 2nd term are wrong-headed and will prove to be badly mistaken, and will wreak real and lasting damage to the nation's fiscal and economic well-being and position in the world.

One can easily and reasonably hold both views.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the recession at the end of WW II? What about the recessions of the 50s?
Pass - your rhetorical quiz show routine bores the living sh!t out of me, as I've made clear many times before.

If you have an interesting and relevant point to make - make it, and support it with evidence.

I'm sure there may be some reader somewhere who's eager to read your dissertation on the causes of post-WWII economic recessions.

I am not among them.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
That is kind of how I felt, Teddy. We have become a nation of fiscally irresponsible people. The masses have reached a tipping point where they now figure that they can get government to pay for their lifestyle. Why work when you can take it from somebody else? I'm just hoping, but not holding my breath, that Obama got the message that there is still a large part of this country that will not continue to support him in unbridled spending. I'm hoping that he will do as he said and reach across the aisle to find solutions. His first four years were a disaster. He divided us more than we have ever been. I'm hoping he'll see some light and work to bring us together. My way or the highway will not get anything done. As for the masses, I can only shake my head in disgust.
Yes, regrettably. In a nation of children, Santa Claus always wins.
TSM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Americaís is at a tipping point one being self-reliance, accountable/Responsibility or Government!! This election reflects that itís tilting toward Government so why would Obama make any attempt to change its direction because Government equals Democrats!! FREE STUFF, WELFARE APPLICANTS: NO WORKING REQUIREMENT!!!
LooTER SHooTER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

If YOU believe ANYTHING that CROWbama Promises YOU....THEN YOU ARE A TOTAL FREAKING IDIOT''!....ANYTIME YOU SEE HIM BLABBING THOSE PURPLE LIPS AND BLUE GUMS....BE ASSURED THAT ITS ALLLLLL
B
U
L
L
S
H
I
T !!!!!!
LooTER SHooTER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

WHO'S HE PROMISING THE JOBS TO? The ILLEGAL MEXICANS HE JUST RECENTLY GRANTED AMNESTY TO ??
CROWbama IS A PIECE OF LYING DOGSHIT !
LooTER SHooTER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

THE ILLEGAL MEXICANS THAT PLAY THE SYSTEM ARE RECEIVING MORE IN HELP AND BENIFITS THAN OUR WOUNDED VETARANS RETURNING FROM OVER SEAS !---- HOW FKD UP IS THAT ? ITs DESPICABLE !

Linthicum Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent! People should find the reason that having a weak federal government didn't work. History is funny. It usually predicts future events.
For those of you that can't figure it out, look up why the Articles of Confederation did not work.
Do you understand how many do not even realize what the Articles of Confederation are?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 108,701 - 108,720 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min LRS 173,742
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 8 min andet1987 405
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min shinningelectr0n 1,072,818
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 24 min The Troll Stopper 48,695
Evergreen Park Man Facing Charges In South Side... 33 min wow 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 43 min Midlothian Composer 97,453
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,161
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 9:07PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search