Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Comments (Page 5,435)

Showing posts 108,681 - 108,700 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jul 12

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the year 2012. You made a mistake, now come clean, you fuzzy little foreigner.
Did you denote earlier that the year was important to our spelling?

When it gets to the point that you are correcting my spelling you are losing the argument. Should I correct your unnecessary coma?

Yes, currently in the US of A defence is spelled defense. So how is that English?

It was not always that way, in the Constitution it is spelled "defence." I had someone else try and correct me when I was quoting the Constitution.

When did we change it and why?

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

About Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree. Romney was the most credible of the Republican candidates that ran for POTUS. Think about the other candidates that made the attempt to run. It wasn't close. A reminder of the 1996 POTUS race. Republicans didn't have a candidate so they threw their support to Dole.
This POTUS had the weakest poll numbers leading to the POTUS campaign season in many categories. A very winnable election for the Republicans. Their candidate couldn't sell his vision to those voters that could've been swayed to vote his way. You can attack the POTUS record only so much. The American public wants more than an attack on the record.
Credible alternative in their policies. It was not only Romney that lost, they failed to gain control of the Senate and that should have been yet another sure thing. They failed to make a gain in the House......so far, another failure.

The fact that the did not take the Senate and did not gain in the House with this economy says that it was not Romney, it was the party itself.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you denote earlier that the year was important to our spelling?
When it gets to the point that you are correcting my spelling you are losing the argument. Should I correct your unnecessary coma?
Yes, currently in the US of A defence is spelled defense. So how is that English?
It was not always that way, in the Constitution it is spelled "defence." I had someone else try and correct me when I was quoting the Constitution.
When did we change it and why?
Comma has two "m"s.

So do you spell everything with 18th Century spellings?
About Time

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Credible alternative in their policies. It was not only Romney that lost, they failed to gain control of the Senate and that should have been yet another sure thing. They failed to make a gain in the House......so far, another failure.

The fact that the did not take the Senate and did not gain in the House with this economy says that it was not Romney, it was the party itself.
Democrats didn't gain as well. The popular vote shows clearly a divided electorate. This POTUS has more daunting tasks ahead, starting with the Fiscal Cliff looming at year end.
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Ministry of Propaganda has reached full strength.
Teddy R

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
By encouraging private industry to create jobs and pay higher wages.
There is a reason that wage disparity increased in the 20's and 30's and decreased between the 40's and the 60's. Then started increasing again.
And jobs were created throughout those periods with the exception of a few years after 1928. Kind of comparable to today.
Yeah. It was called WWII.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

we republicings still rule and you others wil learn the way . you wanted to play hard ball so now game is on . suffer
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
FY2009 was bush's last budget year. FY2002 was his first budget year.
The Fiscal Year busget begins in October of the preceding year, so the FY2009 budget began on October 1, 2008 or about 4 months before Obama took office and 1 month before the election even took place.
Yeah yeah yeah - we've been all over the whole "FY2009 wasn't Obama's fault" dodge ad nauseum here before.

Uninteresting.

Whatev - take whatever FY periods you want and try to spin them any way you like - I linked the hard numbers for all of 'em. The inescapable truth remains - federal debt exploded to 107% of GDP under Obama, a level not seen since the heart of WWII and dwarfing the rate at which the preceding administration piled up debt - and is projected to remain there through the end of Obama's 2nd term.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Judged:

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. The only tax that does not redistribute is the tax that is returned 100% to the person that paid it. And if you do that, why are you taxing to begin with?
You tax to raise revenue to run the federal government - the only legitimate reason to tax. An income tax that does this by taking a flat % of income is in no way "redistributive" in aim or result.
Your lame attempt to argue otherwise is pure sophistry.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Just like you are stuck on misunderstanding redistribution of wealth/income. There is natural redistribution (buying groceries at the store) and then there is redistribution that is forced (taxation) and there is redistribution that is encouraged (allowing employee's wages to be deducted from taxable income encourages the hiring of employee's).
Any "misunderstanding" is all yours - and it is intentional.
Your lame attempt to obfuscate by equating free economic transactions between individuals in a free market with confiscation of private income/wealth by government via any form of progressive tax (which by definition has a "redistributive" aim at least in part) is pure sophistry.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. While global competition does play "a" role, it is not nearly as strong of a role as you give it credit for.
Waiting for your evidence and argument supporting this assertion. Please make sure to include your explanation for the decline in US middle class wage rates, citing objective evidence supporting your theory.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
As for your attack on the level of my posts, they are certainly as least as literate and knowledgeable as your replies and in many ways written at a higher level of understanding.
If you do say so yourself. Of course they are.
Obama

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

As I promised, Watermelons and froed chickins fo evybody.
TSM

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were telling the truth he would not have gotten re-elected. But you keep following the same failed Republican policies and see where that gets you in November 2014.
OKB2 I tilt my hat to you!! You were Right it is an Embarrassment not to win the Senate/House and the Presidency under those Condition!!
James Madison

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Obama voters in nj pa.,ny, new england. have fun at your victory party while your homeless from the storm and 4 ft of snow is dumped on you
ILAL

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2012

Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop being stupid
He can't help himself, stupid is his DNA make up.
Why bother?
CrimeaRiver

South Ockendon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
As a pommie from a country with no written Constitution, your ignorance of the American Constitution is forgiveable.
The American Constitution does not establish or describe democracy - it establishes a Republic.
<quoted text>
Sophomoric rubbish.
<quoted text>
I have attempted to aid your misunderstanding on this point in a previous post.
<quoted text>
I don't know about democratic and political enlightenment, but yesterday's electoral results make it impossible for me to argue the American people are not presenting themselves as increasingly ignorant in terms of fiscal and economic enlightenment.
You're correct, I don't know the ins and outs of American Politics. You're quick to point out that the constituion established a republic but not democracy.

Are you a fan of democracy? do you believe in the people's right to choose their president?

The US points a gun at weaker nations and demands that they adopt democracy. But you yourself aren't willing to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

ya u poor people up there injoy ur obama fema ur getting lol u fools

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Comma has two "m"s.
So do you spell everything with 18th Century spellings?
Perhaps, perhaps not.

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

About Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Democrats didn't gain as well. The popular vote shows clearly a divided electorate. This POTUS has more daunting tasks ahead, starting with the Fiscal Cliff looming at year end.
In this economy, not losing is gaining. The fact that Obama was re-elected is historical with the economy in the shape it is in. the fact that Democrats held the Senate is Historic.

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. It was called WWII.
Then why the recession at the end of WW II? What about the recessions of the 50s?

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You tax to raise revenue to run the federal government - the only legitimate reason to tax. An income tax that does this by taking a flat % of income is in no way "redistributive" in aim or result.
Your lame attempt to argue otherwise is pure sophistry.
<quoted text>
Any "misunderstanding" is all yours - and it is intentional.
Your lame attempt to obfuscate by equating free economic transactions between individuals in a free market with confiscation of private income/wealth by government via any form of progressive tax (which by definition has a "redistributive" aim at least in part) is pure sophistry.
<quoted text>
Waiting for your evidence and argument supporting this assertion. Please make sure to include your explanation for the decline in US middle class wage rates, citing objective evidence supporting your theory.
<quoted text>
If you do say so yourself. Of course they are.
So, if I take 10% of all income and then use that to pay for social welfare programs for low income people it is not "redistributive?"

What if I take the same money and instead just put it towards the defense industry? Aren't those in the military and those supplying the military with products and services benefitting as opposed to the store clerk at 7-11 who is paying the tax?

If the government taxes different types of income at different rates (earned income, dividends, capital gains, interest, inheritence) isn't it redistributive by the definition you offered?

The sophistry is on you.

Since: Apr 12

Hunt Valley, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if I take 10% of all income and then use that to pay for social welfare programs for low income people it is not "redistributive?"
What if I take the same money and instead just put it towards the defense industry? Aren't those in the military and those supplying the military with products and services benefitting as opposed to the store clerk at 7-11 who is paying the tax?
If the government taxes different types of income at different rates (earned income, dividends, capital gains, interest, inheritence) isn't it redistributive by the definition you offered?
The sophistry is on you.
And what about giving certain industries subsidies? These come from the taxpayers. THey must be ok with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 108,681 - 108,700 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

32 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min wojar 174,460
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min PDUPONT 1,078,388
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 28 min edogxxx 97,512
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min Stuart Cudahy 45,764
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 34 min truth 48,841
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 38 min TRD 67,862
Abby 7-23 41 min edogxxx 1
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 3:16AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs