Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday 109,570
President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#118105 Nov 8, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
People see an overweight individual and wonder why they continue to over eat.
Americans see a nation in debt and listen to the sugar that Rush and Sean feed them about not needing to pay taxes.
Paying more taxes is not the way to eliminate the debt. The economy needs to grow. Bill Clinton was fortunate enough to be President when we had a booming economy. We were having a technological heyday at that time. That is the reason he was able to get the budget under control. A better economy translates into more tax revenue. What is needed now is an atmosphere that fosters a better economy. Raising taxes does not do that.

Provo, UT

#118106 Nov 8, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at bush's 2009 budget. In January of 2009 before Obama took office the CBO forecast a $1 Tril + deficit for 2009. It was based on a combination of bush's increased spending for 2009 and on reduced revenues due to the downturn.
However, that does not negate the fact that deficits had been ran since 2003 and that Medicare and Social Security were already consuming more and more of the budget.
Since Jaunuary 2011 not one dime has been spent without the approval of the Republican House.
Funny how that trillion dollar deficit started when Pelosi and Reid took over Congress.

Social Security. Unfortunately, it was based on a model that anticipated that people would continue to have children to foot the future bill. The numbers are no longer there.

Provo, UT

#118107 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
I don't know about democratic and political enlightenment, but yesterday's electoral results make it impossible for me to argue the American people are not presenting themselves as increasingly ignorant in terms of fiscal and economic enlightenment.
That is kind of how I felt, Teddy. We have become a nation of fiscally irresponsible people. The masses have reached a tipping point where they now figure that they can get government to pay for their lifestyle. Why work when you can take it from somebody else? I'm just hoping, but not holding my breath, that Obama got the message that there is still a large part of this country that will not continue to support him in unbridled spending. I'm hoping that he will do as he said and reach across the aisle to find solutions. His first four years were a disaster. He divided us more than we have ever been. I'm hoping he'll see some light and work to bring us together. My way or the highway will not get anything done. As for the masses, I can only shake my head in disgust.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118108 Nov 8, 2012
CrimeaRiver wrote:
<quoted text>
You're correct, I don't know the ins and outs of American Politics. You're quick to point out that the constituion established a republic but not democracy.
Are you a fan of democracy? do you believe in the people's right to choose their president?
The US points a gun at weaker nations and demands that they adopt democracy. But you yourself aren't willing to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA.
I think the Founders got it about right. I still see wisdom in retaining the Electoral College, and not abandoning it in favor of direct election of the POTUS. While the Founders could not have foreseen some of our modern-day threats to intelligent and orderly public discourse posed by the pseudo-journalistic infotainment and SuperPAC propaganda saturating the elecorate in the post-Citizens United v FEC age, they certainly understood well the dangers of demogogues and ignorant mobs.

I think Americans remain woefully provincial and ignorant of the peoples and forces in play in the real world at large, and as a result we do tend to have foolish notions of exporting "democracy" to many parts of the world that clearly have none of the cultural and historical underpinnings required to make democracy practical or beneficial. It is a peculiarly American delusion, I agree.

Finally, you seem to be confusing a willingness "to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA" (nonsense, really - Obama's re-election is now simply established fact) with a considered and informed judgement that the policies and courses the man intends to pursue in his 2nd term are wrong-headed and will prove to be badly mistaken, and will wreak real and lasting damage to the nation's fiscal and economic well-being and position in the world.

One can easily and reasonably hold both views.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118109 Nov 8, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why the recession at the end of WW II? What about the recessions of the 50s?
Pass - your rhetorical quiz show routine bores the living sh!t out of me, as I've made clear many times before.

If you have an interesting and relevant point to make - make it, and support it with evidence.

I'm sure there may be some reader somewhere who's eager to read your dissertation on the causes of post-WWII economic recessions.

I am not among them.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118110 Nov 8, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
That is kind of how I felt, Teddy. We have become a nation of fiscally irresponsible people. The masses have reached a tipping point where they now figure that they can get government to pay for their lifestyle. Why work when you can take it from somebody else? I'm just hoping, but not holding my breath, that Obama got the message that there is still a large part of this country that will not continue to support him in unbridled spending. I'm hoping that he will do as he said and reach across the aisle to find solutions. His first four years were a disaster. He divided us more than we have ever been. I'm hoping he'll see some light and work to bring us together. My way or the highway will not get anything done. As for the masses, I can only shake my head in disgust.
Yes, regrettably. In a nation of children, Santa Claus always wins.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#118111 Nov 8, 2012
Americaís is at a tipping point one being self-reliance, accountable/Responsibility or Government!! This election reflects that itís tilting toward Government so why would Obama make any attempt to change its direction because Government equals Democrats!! FREE STUFF, WELFARE APPLICANTS: NO WORKING REQUIREMENT!!!
LooTER SHooTER

United States

#118112 Nov 8, 2012
If YOU believe ANYTHING that CROWbama Promises YOU....THEN YOU ARE A TOTAL FREAKING IDIOT''!....ANYTIME YOU SEE HIM BLABBING THOSE PURPLE LIPS AND BLUE GUMS....BE ASSURED THAT ITS ALLLLLL
B
U
L
L
S
H
I
T !!!!!!
LooTER SHooTER

United States

#118113 Nov 8, 2012
WHO'S HE PROMISING THE JOBS TO? The ILLEGAL MEXICANS HE JUST RECENTLY GRANTED AMNESTY TO ??
CROWbama IS A PIECE OF LYING DOGSHIT !
LooTER SHooTER

United States

#118114 Nov 8, 2012
THE ILLEGAL MEXICANS THAT PLAY THE SYSTEM ARE RECEIVING MORE IN HELP AND BENIFITS THAN OUR WOUNDED VETARANS RETURNING FROM OVER SEAS !---- HOW FKD UP IS THAT ? ITs DESPICABLE !

Since: Jul 12

Washington, DC

#118115 Nov 8, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent! People should find the reason that having a weak federal government didn't work. History is funny. It usually predicts future events.
For those of you that can't figure it out, look up why the Articles of Confederation did not work.
Do you understand how many do not even realize what the Articles of Confederation are?

Washington, DC

#118116 Nov 8, 2012
Uncle R wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers didn't have anything to do with it and most didn't agree with the bailouts and bankruptcy wasted with taxpayer money .
We lost a lot of white votes just like 4 years ago . The copulate to populate gang were 100 % and most don't pay taxes .
You lost a lot of votes because your message is narrow and limited. The Republican Party is no longer conservative. They have lost a lot of voters to independents and even some conservatives have gone Democrat.

Washington, DC

#118117 Nov 8, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
And Pelosi/Reid had a jump start on it starting in 2007 when they controlled Congress.
And the Republican Congress could have put a stop to it starting in January 2011. Do you have a point or just more lame comments?

Washington, DC

#118118 Nov 8, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Paying more taxes is not the way to eliminate the debt. The economy needs to grow. Bill Clinton was fortunate enough to be President when we had a booming economy. We were having a technological heyday at that time. That is the reason he was able to get the budget under control. A better economy translates into more tax revenue. What is needed now is an atmosphere that fosters a better economy. Raising taxes does not do that.
You are correct of course. We could end SS and Medicare.......but then ya'll do not want to do that either.

You are just like a fat person sitting in front of cake talking about going on a diet as they eat another piece of it.

It is a spending problem, not a revenue problem. Oh wait, don't cut that and don't cut that and we need another slice of that.....

Want some ice cream with that?

Washington, DC

#118119 Nov 8, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how that trillion dollar deficit started when Pelosi and Reid took over Congress.
Social Security. Unfortunately, it was based on a model that anticipated that people would continue to have children to foot the future bill. The numbers are no longer there.
Funny how you have to lie. The Trillion dollar deficits started in 2009, bush's last budget year. I already posted a link in this very thread to either you, Pflug or Teddy about the CBO saying it would be over a trillion debt before Obama ever took office.

Lets not forget the Republicans have the House and can control how much is spent.

Washington, DC

#118120 Nov 8, 2012
Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! So you are ready to get rid of SS and Medicare. Old people helped get us in this problem, they have to pay like everyone else.

Washington, DC

#118121 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Pass - your rhetorical quiz show routine bores the living sh!t out of me, as I've made clear many times before.
If you have an interesting and relevant point to make - make it, and support it with evidence.
I'm sure there may be some reader somewhere who's eager to read your dissertation on the causes of post-WWII economic recessions.
I am not among them.
Having blown your argument to pieces and being presented with essentially a non-reply on your part is good enough.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118123 Nov 8, 2012
"These charlatans and money-grubbers have turned the broad tradition of Anglo-American conservatism into Southern Fried Fanaticism.

They have replaced empirical doubt with unerring faith in an ideology that had its moment over thirty years ago and is barely relevant to the world we now live in.

That faith has been cynically fused with fundamentalist religion to make it virtually impossible for the GOP to accept that women are the majority of voters in this country, that gay couples are equal to straight ones, that 11 million illegal immigrants simply cannot be expected to "self-deport" en masse by a regime of terrifying policing, that war is a last and not a first resort, that the debt we have is primarily a function of two things: George W. Bush's presidency and the economic collapse his term ended with."

-Andrew Sullivan
http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/...
Teddy

Conshohocken, PA

#118125 Nov 8, 2012
joe wrote:
"These charlatans and money-grubbers have turned the broad tradition of Anglo-American conservatism into Southern Fried Fanaticism.
They have replaced empirical doubt with unerring faith in an ideology that had its moment over thirty years ago and is barely relevant to the world we now live in.
That faith has been cynically fused with fundamentalist religion to make it virtually impossible for the GOP to accept that women are the majority of voters in this country, that gay couples are equal to straight ones, that 11 million illegal immigrants simply cannot be expected to "self-deport" en masse by a regime of terrifying policing, that war is a last and not a first resort, that the debt we have is primarily a function of two things: George W. Bush's presidency and the economic collapse his term ended with."
-Andrew Sullivan
http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/...
You may like your Muslim Brothers that are coming to America and moving in your neighborhood. They build a Mosque , treat you with respect and you will never really know or hear when the bomb goes off and the only ID you leave behind is your head . I'd still rather have them than the thieving, shooting, drugdealing, cockroach infested vermin moving north by the thousands . You wouldn't last one day in the Russian Commune in Queens.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#118126 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy wrote:
<quoted text>
You may like your Muslim Brothers that are coming to America and moving in your neighborhood. They build a Mosque , treat you with respect and you will never really know or hear when the bomb goes off and the only ID you leave behind is your head . I'd still rather have them than the thieving, shooting, drugdealing, cockroach infested vermin moving north by the thousands . You wouldn't last one day in the Russian Commune in Queens.
There, there, Teddy, medication time. You know the Dr. want's you to chillax.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min smfh 1,172,079
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Captain Yesterday 50,201
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 28 min Red_Forman 5,344
Word (Dec '08) 29 min Red_Forman 4,951
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 54 min Learn to Read 184,315
Abby 1-19-15 2 hr Julie 49
Teachers union president vows to fight cuts to ... (Feb '14) 2 hr ShouldHaveExpired 6
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) Sat Chooch 73
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games