Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday 109,552
President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs. Read more
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118079 Nov 7, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
FY2009 was bush's last budget year. FY2002 was his first budget year.
The Fiscal Year busget begins in October of the preceding year, so the FY2009 budget began on October 1, 2008 or about 4 months before Obama took office and 1 month before the election even took place.
Yeah yeah yeah - we've been all over the whole "FY2009 wasn't Obama's fault" dodge ad nauseum here before.

Uninteresting.

Whatev - take whatever FY periods you want and try to spin them any way you like - I linked the hard numbers for all of 'em. The inescapable truth remains - federal debt exploded to 107% of GDP under Obama, a level not seen since the heart of WWII and dwarfing the rate at which the preceding administration piled up debt - and is projected to remain there through the end of Obama's 2nd term.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#118080 Nov 7, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. The only tax that does not redistribute is the tax that is returned 100% to the person that paid it. And if you do that, why are you taxing to begin with?
You tax to raise revenue to run the federal government - the only legitimate reason to tax. An income tax that does this by taking a flat % of income is in no way "redistributive" in aim or result.
Your lame attempt to argue otherwise is pure sophistry.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. Just like you are stuck on misunderstanding redistribution of wealth/income. There is natural redistribution (buying groceries at the store) and then there is redistribution that is forced (taxation) and there is redistribution that is encouraged (allowing employee's wages to be deducted from taxable income encourages the hiring of employee's).
Any "misunderstanding" is all yours - and it is intentional.
Your lame attempt to obfuscate by equating free economic transactions between individuals in a free market with confiscation of private income/wealth by government via any form of progressive tax (which by definition has a "redistributive" aim at least in part) is pure sophistry.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
False. While global competition does play "a" role, it is not nearly as strong of a role as you give it credit for.
Waiting for your evidence and argument supporting this assertion. Please make sure to include your explanation for the decline in US middle class wage rates, citing objective evidence supporting your theory.
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
As for your attack on the level of my posts, they are certainly as least as literate and knowledgeable as your replies and in many ways written at a higher level of understanding.
If you do say so yourself. Of course they are.
Obama

Raleigh, NC

#118081 Nov 7, 2012
As I promised, Watermelons and froed chickins fo evybody.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#118082 Nov 7, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were telling the truth he would not have gotten re-elected. But you keep following the same failed Republican policies and see where that gets you in November 2014.
OKB2 I tilt my hat to you!! You were Right it is an Embarrassment not to win the Senate/House and the Presidency under those Condition!!
James Madison

Birmingham, AL

#118084 Nov 7, 2012
Obama voters in nj pa.,ny, new england. have fun at your victory party while your homeless from the storm and 4 ft of snow is dumped on you
ILAL

Bronx, NY

#118085 Nov 7, 2012
Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to stop being stupid
He can't help himself, stupid is his DNA make up.
Why bother?
CrimeaRiver

South Ockendon, UK

#118086 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
As a pommie from a country with no written Constitution, your ignorance of the American Constitution is forgiveable.
The American Constitution does not establish or describe democracy - it establishes a Republic.
<quoted text>
Sophomoric rubbish.
<quoted text>
I have attempted to aid your misunderstanding on this point in a previous post.
<quoted text>
I don't know about democratic and political enlightenment, but yesterday's electoral results make it impossible for me to argue the American people are not presenting themselves as increasingly ignorant in terms of fiscal and economic enlightenment.
You're correct, I don't know the ins and outs of American Politics. You're quick to point out that the constituion established a republic but not democracy.

Are you a fan of democracy? do you believe in the people's right to choose their president?

The US points a gun at weaker nations and demands that they adopt democracy. But you yourself aren't willing to accept the democratically elected two-term leader of the USA.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#118087 Nov 8, 2012
ya u poor people up there injoy ur obama fema ur getting lol u fools

Since: Jul 12

Chester, VA

#118088 Nov 8, 2012
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Comma has two "m"s.
So do you spell everything with 18th Century spellings?
Perhaps, perhaps not.

Chester, VA

#118089 Nov 8, 2012
About Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Democrats didn't gain as well. The popular vote shows clearly a divided electorate. This POTUS has more daunting tasks ahead, starting with the Fiscal Cliff looming at year end.
In this economy, not losing is gaining. The fact that Obama was re-elected is historical with the economy in the shape it is in. the fact that Democrats held the Senate is Historic.

Chester, VA

#118090 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. It was called WWII.
Then why the recession at the end of WW II? What about the recessions of the 50s?

Chester, VA

#118091 Nov 8, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You tax to raise revenue to run the federal government - the only legitimate reason to tax. An income tax that does this by taking a flat % of income is in no way "redistributive" in aim or result.
Your lame attempt to argue otherwise is pure sophistry.
<quoted text>
Any "misunderstanding" is all yours - and it is intentional.
Your lame attempt to obfuscate by equating free economic transactions between individuals in a free market with confiscation of private income/wealth by government via any form of progressive tax (which by definition has a "redistributive" aim at least in part) is pure sophistry.
<quoted text>
Waiting for your evidence and argument supporting this assertion. Please make sure to include your explanation for the decline in US middle class wage rates, citing objective evidence supporting your theory.
<quoted text>
If you do say so yourself. Of course they are.
So, if I take 10% of all income and then use that to pay for social welfare programs for low income people it is not "redistributive?"

What if I take the same money and instead just put it towards the defense industry? Aren't those in the military and those supplying the military with products and services benefitting as opposed to the store clerk at 7-11 who is paying the tax?

If the government taxes different types of income at different rates (earned income, dividends, capital gains, interest, inheritence) isn't it redistributive by the definition you offered?

The sophistry is on you.

Since: Apr 12

Hunt Valley, MD

#118092 Nov 8, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if I take 10% of all income and then use that to pay for social welfare programs for low income people it is not "redistributive?"
What if I take the same money and instead just put it towards the defense industry? Aren't those in the military and those supplying the military with products and services benefitting as opposed to the store clerk at 7-11 who is paying the tax?
If the government taxes different types of income at different rates (earned income, dividends, capital gains, interest, inheritence) isn't it redistributive by the definition you offered?
The sophistry is on you.
And what about giving certain industries subsidies? These come from the taxpayers. THey must be ok with that.
what

Gaffney, SC

#118093 Nov 8, 2012
what?

Chester, VA

#118094 Nov 8, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about giving certain industries subsidies? These come from the taxpayers. THey must be ok with that.
Excellent point.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#118097 Nov 8, 2012
this country wont grow with two divided thoughts

Chester, VA

#118099 Nov 8, 2012
olddogs1964 wrote:
this country wont grow with two divided thoughts
The Federalists and the anit-Federalists.

Since: Apr 12

Hunt Valley, MD

#118100 Nov 8, 2012
okb2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Federalists and the anit-Federalists.
Excellent! People should find the reason that having a weak federal government didn't work. History is funny. It usually predicts future events.

For those of you that can't figure it out, look up why the Articles of Confederation did not work.
what

Cowpens, SC

#118101 Nov 8, 2012
what
Uncle R

Conshohocken, PA

#118102 Nov 8, 2012
Son of SickNTired wrote:
<quoted text>
Taxpayers didn't have anything to do with it and most didn't agree with the bailouts and bankruptcy wasted with taxpayer money .

We lost a lot of white votes just like 4 years ago . The copulate to populate gang were 100 % and most don't pay taxes .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min PolakPotrafi 1,206,773
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 min SpaceBlues 52,316
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min JRB 185,883
Word (Dec '08) 47 min _Zoey_ 5,150
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 48 min _Zoey_ 5,815
Executive Producer of True Crime Horror 2 hr YoYoBratt 2
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Cold Front 69,309
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]