Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

Full story: Newsday

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Comments (Page 5,418)

Showing posts 108,341 - 108,360 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

CNN will take a hit wrote:
My take on last night is that Obama with Crowley's help was able to score a draw with Romney.
That being said the big loser last night was CNN, they somehow try to paint themselves as the neutral voice in the cable media between the left leaning MSNBC and right leaning FOX, but after last night they just look like a poor man's MSNBC.
If I was the owner of CNN, I would look to phase out Crowley immediately and then fire her in order to try to save CNN's reputation, which frankly after last night is probably beyond saving.
CNN's market share will take a hit from this debacle, just seeing the comments on this board we know that people are getting sick and tired of the bias in the media.
FOX news will be the winner when all is said and done, as MSNBC and CNN will battle for the far left partisans, while every other cable viewer will be watching FOX.
Should Obama win, it will even be worse as angry citizens will blame CNN.
Either way Candy Crowley's reputation will be going the way Dan Rather's did after the Bush national guard piece.
I still think that substance gave Romney the edge but you are soooooo correct about CNN and Crowley.
CNN will take a hit

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
I still think that substance gave Romney the edge but you are soooooo correct about CNN and Crowley.
The biggest edge for Romney here is that people see that the Obama campaign is basically about attacking Romney, indicating that they have no positive record to run on.

People are not happy seeing that in the midst of this economic crisis, that the president refuses to take responsibility for his actions and their contribution to our situation.

I think people would be more apt to vote for Obama if they heard him admit that he has made some mistakes which have contibuted to our situation, but that he has gained experience that may help him do things better in the future, rather then Obama attacking Romney as a rich and successful businessman.

Frankly, I am surprised that Romney did not point out that a big reason that he pays such a low tax rate is his tremendous charitable donations, which are far more then Obama and Biden combined.

I think these negative attacks are going to backfire, as they are just accentuating the lack of positive accomplishments of the Obama administration.
ZCs

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

President Obama Ripped Romney a new one.

Right Power!

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

ZCs wrote:
President Obama Ripped Romney a new one.
Right Power!
The president farted again, you say?

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
The biggest edge for Romney here is that people see that the Obama campaign is basically about attacking Romney, indicating that they have no positive record to run on.
People are not happy seeing that in the midst of this economic crisis, that the president refuses to take responsibility for his actions and their contribution to our situation.
I think people would be more apt to vote for Obama if they heard him admit that he has made some mistakes which have contibuted to our situation, but that he has gained experience that may help him do things better in the future, rather then Obama attacking Romney as a rich and successful businessman.
Frankly, I am surprised that Romney did not point out that a big reason that he pays such a low tax rate is his tremendous charitable donations, which are far more then Obama and Biden combined.
I think these negative attacks are going to backfire, as they are just accentuating the lack of positive accomplishments of the Obama administration.
The problem is that Romney is too modest and humble to go around flaunting his benevolence. But you are right, Obama's platform is one of trying to define what his opponent is going to do vs. what he is going to do. Romney, on the other hand, has laid out a plan and as a successful businessman, he knows how to implement that plan.
ZCs

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Obama!!

Right Power!

Envisioning a pre-election hostage crisis,à la Iran and Jimmy Carter,[Romney said], "If something of that nature presents itself, I will work to find a way to take advantage of the opportunity.

Romney's shocking statement came after a fat cat in the audience specifically brought up how Ronald Reagan used the Iranian hostage crisis to his campaign's advantage.

It is important to remember that the 47 percent – and other – fundraiser remarks were before the tragic killings of the US Ambassador to Libya and other foreign service representatives.

Sure enough, once the murders occurred, Romney rashly held a press conference that incorrectly conflated the deaths with a prior US Cairo Embassy news release and cast blame on Obama. However, the Romney campaign backed off for awhile due to a general condemnation by the DC punditry, many leading Republicans, and the corporate media of his reckless remarks.

But then Romney, who has no foreign policy or military experience (he was a Mormon missionary in France for two years though and received a deferment), returned to accusing the White House of not providing enough security for the diplomats who were killed. This attack line started to have some resonance when State Department "traffic" indicated that one or more verbal requests had been made for increased protection in Tripoli, the capital of Libya.(Who said what to whom and when is still being sorted out.)

Fast forward to the debate on Tuesday night. Based on a question from an audience member named Kerry Ladka, President Obama took full responsibility for handling the Benghazi situation and responded in a dignified fashion that honored the loss of life in the line of duty.

Then three words set in motion the defining moment of the debate when Crowley offered Obama a brief chance to respond to Romney saying that the president began his term with "an apology tour" through the Middle East.

Obama returned to the bloodshed in Benghazi. In his brief remark, he included these words: "The day after the attack, Governor, I stood in the Rose Garden, and I told the American people and the world that we are going to find out exactly what happened, that this was an act of terror."
Politics as usual

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

My take on last night is that Obama with Crowley's help was able to score a draw with Romney.
That being said the big loser last night was CNN, they somehow try to paint themselves as the neutral voice in the cable media between the left leaning MSNBC and right leaning FOX, but after last night they just look like a poor man's MSNBC.
If I was the owner of CNN, I would look to phase out Crowley immediately and then fire her in order to try to save CNN's reputation, which frankly after last night is probably beyond saving.
CNN's market share will take a hit from this debacle, just seeing the comments on this board we know that people are getting sick and tired of the bias in the media.
FOX news will be the winner when all is said and done, as MSNBC and CNN will battle for the far left partisans, while every other cable viewer will be watching FOX.
Either way Candy Crowley's reputation will be going the way Dan Rather's did after the Bush national guard piece.
you assume that journalists are held to some type of standard, they are not,

if a doctor did the equivalent of what Crowley did they would lose their license, if a lawyer did it, they would be disbarred,

if a journalist like Crowley loses her integrity by placing herself in the debate for Obama and spouting false information, as well as cutting off Romney at every opportunity, and giving Obama almost 10 per cent more time to speak then Romney, they will probably get an award.

the problem is that the days of journalistic integrity are long gone, and journalists today are partisan hacks who will twist the truth and frankly lie to push their political agenda.

they push their agenda by which stories they cover, they will misrepresent the facts, and as we saw last night they will actually put themselves into a presidential debate as an advocate of their political party if necessary.

journalists today unlike the past, have the lowest moral fiber of virtually anyone in the workforce.

that is why the corrupt mainstream media are charter members of the axis of evil.
ZCs

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Mitt The Flop Flip

The Romney campaign has been hard at work attempting to blame President Obama for the terrorist attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans. Lead foreign policy adviser Rich Williamson claimed the attack wouldn’t have happened in a Romney administration and Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan chalked it up to the “broader problem” of the current administration “projecting weakness.”

But at least one prominent Republican would object to the GOP’s efforts to politicize terrorism and his name is Gov. Mitt Romney.

During a 2004 National Press Club luncheon, Romney was asked to address the 9/11 Commission’s finding of serious intelligence failures on the part of the US government in the run-up to the attacks. He responded that it is easy, but ultimately not particularly helpful, to blame different parts of the government for the attack:

It’s very easy, it is extraordinarily easy to point fingers and say,‘Why, this part of government knew this and it didn’t tell that part.’ And,‘These people here haven’t learned that.’ Well, the reason those barriers exist is for legitimate purpose in a world that was pre-September 11th. And judging our intelligence by post- September 11th conditions is something we have to do carefully. We do that to help us get better, and to the extent we find criticism in the kind of work that I’ve had to do and others are doing, it should be focused on how we can make ourselves more effective in the post-9/11 world. But trying to judge what happened pre-9/11 by post-9/11 knowledge is probably not terribly fruitful.
Politics as usual

Melville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

this says it all

"Obama invents his own history
Benghazi cover-up exposes president’s character flaws"

"Did we hear him correctly last night when he suddenly tried to “walk back” the version of events that his own spokesmen vigorously defended for weeks? So the attack on the Libyan consulate really had not resulted from a flash-mob incited by that YouTube video? Instead it had been a 9/11.2 terrorist attack all along? And this despite all those pious and repeated protestations by UN Ambassador Susan Rice, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mr. Obama’s own speech to the United Nations extolling religious freedom? Then, in a scene straight out of Alice in Wonderland, CNN moderator Candy Crowley rode to his rescue, insisting to an astounded Gov. Romney that Mr. Obama’s recollection was indeed correct. So who are you going to believe: her or your lying eyes?"

"Our foreign policy is rapidly collapsing - and since we no longer have a free press, nobody says anything about it. Today the media is simply a polite term for Democrats on sabbatical - and with better clothes, hair and make-up."

Read more: ALLARD: Obama invents his own history - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Romney is too modest and humble to go around flaunting his benevolence. But you are right, Obama's platform is one of trying to define what his opponent is going to do vs. what he is going to do. Romney, on the other hand, has laid out a plan and as a successful businessman, he knows how to implement that plan.
What, exactly did you hear Romney say? What plan are you talking about?
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is Romney's a Mormon - he's required to cough up 10% of his income - every year. Generosity has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, many have said that he's not releasing his tax returns because he under tithed to the church - for years.

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

a round for all

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

they have quite a few more at CNN to clean out along with Hatchetface. Now that Larry King is gone, they are no longer relevent. If you go to mediabistro.com , they post all the cable news ratings. If your being clobbered by MSNBC, your in big trouble

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is Romney's a Mormon - he's required to cough up 10% of his income - every year. Generosity has nothing to do with it. As a matter of fact, many have said that he's not releasing his tax returns because he under tithed to the church - for years.
Please name the "many." Rumors with no facts. So you've come up with his tithing donations. How do you explain the other 20% he gave?

Provo, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
What, exactly did you hear Romney say? What plan are you talking about?
You obviously have a computer so you can look it up just as easily as I can. Problem is, you won't just like you didn't listen when he was speaking.
joe

San Rafael, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Pittakos wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously have a computer so you can look it up just as easily as I can. Problem is, you won't just like you didn't listen when he was speaking.
Blah, blah, blah. You guys come to the show but don't know how to play. You made the claim, provide the link. Looking forward to "The Plan."

The other 20%? Would that be in this years return or all of his returns. The ones we're all going to have to "just trust him" on. Just in case you haven't noticed, I don't trust Republicans. They lie way too frequently and easily.
watch out

Calhoun, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

If you think you can do a better job you run for President.
watch out

Calhoun, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

There is lots of job out there look for them, but people what the job come to them they don't what to look.
They set and watch tv or sell drugs then looking for a job.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

Zero Comments the Serial Plagiarizer wrote:
Obama returned to the bloodshed in Benghazi. In his brief remark, he included these words: "The day after the attack, Governor, I stood in the Rose Garden, and I told the American people and the world that we are going to find out exactly what happened, that this was an act of terror."
What Obama meant to say was, "The day after the attack, Governor, I stood in the Rose Garden, and I LIED MY ASS OFF to the American people and the world ...," but his pathalogical lying gene wouldn't allow him to tell the truth.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/...

Americans died - Obama lied.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Zero Comments the Serial Plagiarizer wrote:
Mitt The Flop Flip
The Romney campaign has been hard at work attempting to blame President Obama for the terrorist attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.(rest of plagiarized cut-n-paste rubbish snipped)
Both Obama and Hillary have publicly stated they take full responsibility for Benghazim numnuts. No 'hard work' by the Romney campaign required at all.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Romney's a Mormon - VOLUNTARILY, you ass. His personal philanthropy is totally and completely his own free and voluntary act of generaosity as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 108,341 - 108,360 of109,597
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,633
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min EasyEed 1,072,300
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min No Warming 45,492
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 56 min newpoly 1,830
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 395
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 3 hr Obama Sucks 7,562
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr KiMare 48,690
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••