Engagement Ring

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#1 Aug 28, 2014
My soon to be husband proposed to me the summer of 2011. He gave me a ring and I loved it. I had it sized and wore it proudly. Over the years, I have had questions about the price of the ring and where he bought it. His reply would be, "you aren't supposed to ask a man those questions". He always said he would buy me something bigger as soon as he could. I guess he felt that I deserve something better.

Today I found out my engagement ring is from his mothers previous marriage that only lasted 3 months! I am wearing a woman's ring who I despise. I am furious that I'm in this situation.
Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Location hidden

#2 Aug 28, 2014
Let me add, this ring was not the ring his mother and father exchanged. This is from a man she married after her husband passed away. A marriage that only lasted 3 months. I feel like this ring was garbage to her so my fiancée gave it to me. This women hates me, also. I have the ring put up right now. My fiancée knows that I know now. He's at work and is upset with me. Should I not wear the ring and wait for him to buy me one? Or should I suck it up and wear the ring? I have no emotional attachment with this ring, never have. Could it be my subconscious that's holding me back because deep down this really isn't the ring I'm supposed to have?

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3 Aug 28, 2014
What's more important getting the guy or getting the ring? If it's the ring, you married the wrong guy. It's not worth causing all sorts of problems in your relationship over a ring with a stupid piece of carbon that is overpriced thanks to the De beers monopoly, which artificially keeps the supply of diamonds (diamonds are not rare) small.

How about you just chill out and let him buy you something bigger when you guys have some money to spend? Your husband and having him in your life and enjoying your life together should be vastly more important than a ring.

Location hidden

#4 Aug 28, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
What's more important getting the guy or getting the ring? If it's the ring, you married the wrong guy. It's not worth causing all sorts of problems in your relationship over a ring with a stupid piece of carbon that is overpriced thanks to the De beers monopoly, which artificially keeps the supply of diamonds (diamonds are not rare) small.
How about you just chill out and let him buy you something bigger when you guys have some money to spend? Your husband and having him in your life and enjoying your life together should be vastly more important than a ring.
Thank you. Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture when you are hurt. I feel better now that I've looked at another's view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min VetnorsGate 1,657,695
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr what a russsh 11,576
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Hah_ 243,092
Thugs 6 hr Shytown 1
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 2,677
Trump is A 6 hr Snake Ryan 173
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 hr Bamboo 72,043

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages