of 3
Next Last

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#42 Nov 7, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>My contact list is also written in a small DayTimer in my purse, using pencil or waterproof ink. When the phone is left home or runs out of charge I am not isolated.
/signed? Resident Dinosauress
My kids tell me you can tell the age of a person by whether they have a watch or a cell phone. Kids don't wear watches.
Well then, I'm a kid!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#43 Nov 7, 2012
We have a grandfather clock, well my mother has it now, that is so tall that she had to have a room built for it in our old house. But this thing is also so heavy that she's had to have extra supports put up in the basement to try and keep the floor under it even. Hasn't worked and neither has the clock since she moved in. There's a guy at her church that has donated countless hours trying to get it in working order (he just likes old clocks) but I think it's doomed to just be a really big dust collector.

Someday I will have to find a place for this clock. It's a family heirloom, survived a fire, and is a big fat pain in the azz for whomever "owns" it. Lucky me.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#44 Nov 7, 2012
Wht's the story behind the clock, squishy?

Evanston IL

#45 Nov 8, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wht's the story behind the clock, squishy?

It was in my great-grandmother's house (so my maternal grandmother grew up with it). I'm not sure when the fire happened, but the clock was slightly singed, mostly around the face. When it pass to my great-aunt (grandma's older spinster sister) it sat in pieces all over her house. Then when she passed, my mother decided she wanted it. We found the body was in the basementand the top and the works all spread out in her 2nd bedroom. Mom found an antiques restorer and had the fire damage repaired and like I said, there was this man a church that simpled loved playing with old clocks, so he put the works back together.

But the house we were living in at the time didn't have a room tall enough to hold the clock, so my mom had a formal dining room added to the back of the house. Nice and level and the clock worked beautifully, as long as we remembered to wind it. We hid the key way up on the ledge of the clock face. Westminster chimes on the quarter hour...

Sometimes it would strike 13 times at 12; no one believed me expect my grandma, who said it did that to her too when she was a kid.

But then mom moved to a house that didn't have such a level floor, and no matter what they've tried, the clock just won't work. So I'm just waiting for the day when she says she's moving to a condo and the clock won't fit. It's a small reason why I like living in the big old apartment we currently live in. It has really high ceilings.
:D

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#46 Nov 8, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
It was in my great-grandmother's house (so my maternal grandmother grew up with it). I'm not sure when the fire happened, but the clock was slightly singed, mostly around the face. When it pass to my great-aunt (grandma's older spinster sister) it sat in pieces all over her house. Then when she passed, my mother decided she wanted it. We found the body was in the basementand the top and the works all spread out in her 2nd bedroom. Mom found an antiques restorer and had the fire damage repaired and like I said, there was this man a church that simpled loved playing with old clocks, so he put the works back together.
But the house we were living in at the time didn't have a room tall enough to hold the clock, so my mom had a formal dining room added to the back of the house. Nice and level and the clock worked beautifully, as long as we remembered to wind it. We hid the key way up on the ledge of the clock face. Westminster chimes on the quarter hour...
Sometimes it would strike 13 times at 12; no one believed me expect my grandma, who said it did that to her too when she was a kid.
But then mom moved to a house that didn't have such a level floor, and no matter what they've tried, the clock just won't work. So I'm just waiting for the day when she says she's moving to a condo and the clock won't fit. It's a small reason why I like living in the big old apartment we currently live in. It has really high ceilings.
Not that you would sell it, but I bet that clock is worth a lot of money.

Location hidden

#47 Nov 8, 2012
My exFIL repairs antique clocks, and he told me that most old clocks aren't worth much at all, but it's the sentimental value that matters to people, and they'll spend far more than what the clock is worth in order to get it running again.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#48 Nov 8, 2012
Well I say if Antiques Roadshow comes to your town, I'd take the clock and see what it's worth! Don't forget to take some ugly piece of crap that you also had laying around your house and didn't know what it was. For some reason, those type of things end up being valuable to the surprise of the person who brings it.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#49 Nov 8, 2012
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI there is an antique clock restorer in the pedway between the Daley Center and the County building- the one that burned. He has been around since the mid 1970's to my personal knowledge. I used to get my watch batteries changed there in grad school

Evanston IL

#50 Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, I don't think I could sell it.

And as for the Antiques Roadshow, I would dread trying to get it to the taping. It really is big.

But we have plenty of other ugly old stuff to have appraised.

Location hidden

#51 Nov 8, 2012
Toj wrote:
Well I say if Antiques Roadshow comes to your town, I'd take the clock and see what it's worth! Don't forget to take some ugly piece of crap that you also had laying around your house and didn't know what it was. For some reason, those type of things end up being valuable to the surprise of the person who brings it.
Great idea! And I LOVE that show, especially when a kid is on with something he bought at a flea market or got from his grandpa.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Health tips from healthy 70 yr. old 4 min actorvet 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 21 min Grey Ghost 1,127,031
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min jacques Ottawa 179,459
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 32 min RJS 7,824
Mrs. Bush: History will vindicate her husband (Jun '08) 1 hr Swedenforever 54,524
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Bite Me 50,643
very cute unuasual pix 7 hr ALL GOOD 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]