Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#22 Nov 6, 2012
L1: Quit giving her stuff.

L2: You're so much more clever than the rest of us.(Not!)

L3: Yes, there are rude people all over this earth. Some people don't get it when they're rude. They think people are uptight or get their panties in a bunch. It costs nothing to be nice.

L4: You're just not that important. Just hope he takes good notes and your chart is up-to-date.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#23 Nov 6, 2012
RACE wrote:
I had no idea people were too stupid to know how to wind a clock....
<quoted text>
I'm 41 years old Tom & Jerry cartoons are the most exposure to grandfather clocks I've had. I'd say just about all of the time keeping devices I have had any hands on experience with in my life have been battery powered. I had one watch when I was little that had to be wound, but never had a clock that needed winding. It would never have occured to me that I would need to wind a grandfather clock.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#24 Nov 6, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 41 years old Tom & Jerry cartoons are the most exposure to grandfather clocks I've had. I'd say just about all of the time keeping devices I have had any hands on experience with in my life have been battery powered. I had one watch when I was little that had to be wound, but never had a clock that needed winding. It would never have occured to me that I would need to wind a grandfather clock.
They're tricky clocks -- you have to do different things with the chains/weights when you wind it in order for it to work right.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#25 Nov 6, 2012
Really!
My uncle had a cuckoo clock (that I loved) and friends had a huge grandfather clock, but for both of these, you simply pulled the chain and the weights went up to the top again, and the clock just kept on ticking. Other family had wind up clocks using the key. Was a special treat to get to wind them as you could over due it and destroy the clock.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#26 Nov 6, 2012
my gramma has several clocks that were left behind when she moved - why she had them in the house anyway, i'll never knwo. she was always late for everything.... now, she has this one little wind up travel clock.

luckiliy, the staff come get them for meals. and she only has to go downstairs for church, but $20 says she STILL can't make it in time!

Location hidden

#27 Nov 6, 2012
Nick was at my place last week, and it bothered him that sitting on my couch, he couldn't see a single clock to know what time it is! I said that it isn't much work to get up and go to the computer or kitchen to see the time. Nick wants to be able to see a clock from anywhere he's sitting.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#28 Nov 6, 2012
Tell him to wear a watch. Thats what their for
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nick was at my place last week, and it bothered him that sitting on my couch, he couldn't see a single clock to know what time it is! I said that it isn't much work to get up and go to the computer or kitchen to see the time. Nick wants to be able to see a clock from anywhere he's sitting.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#29 Nov 6, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
im' usually on a computer or carrying a phone with the time on it... i don't think that any of hte clocks at my grammas house, except the microwave nad maaaaybe the Bose radio actually worked. there are a couple of nice mantel clocks that have been dead for years, yet we continue to look at them anyway when we're over there. <facepalm>

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#30 Nov 6, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Hmmm...
Living room - cable box(or press display on the tv remote fot the time to pop up on the tv)
kitchen - stove & Microwave
bedroom - alarm clocks & cable box
office - PC

Everywhere else, you better have a watch or cell phone

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#31 Nov 6, 2012
My dad has several noisy clocks. Every time I go back home, I realize how much he's becoming like my grandparents.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#32 Nov 6, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
im' usually on a computer or carrying a phone with the time on it... i don't think that any of hte clocks at my grammas house, except the microwave nad maaaaybe the Bose radio actually worked. there are a couple of nice mantel clocks that have been dead for years, yet we continue to look at them anyway when we're over there. <facepalm>
I have no analog clocks in my house. My watches are digital/analog, ie: they have the hour/minute/second hands and keep time that way, but also have a digital display at the bottom. I just like the way the analog watch looks better, but I never actually use it to tell time. I only look at the digital display.

Only time I ever look at an analog clock to tell time is when I'm stuck in a meeting and dying to leave, and wantto know what time it is, but my phone is in my pocket, I'm not wearing a watch, and there's no clock in the room. SO I start scanning the room for someone wearing a watch that is pointed in my direction.

Funny thing, some times when daylight savings starts or ends, I don't even change the time on the analog portion of my watch. Eventually someone will look at my watch instead of asking me the time and be shocked at what time it is...NOT.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#33 Nov 6, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
That bothers me too. And I hate wearing watches.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#34 Nov 6, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
He could pull out the phone from his pocket.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#35 Nov 6, 2012
When I forget my phone at home (happens rarely), I hate it b/c it's my contact list, my clock and of course my phone.

And if I leave my phone at work, I hate it b/c it's my alarm clock, my contact list and my phone.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#36 Nov 6, 2012
I also prefer to look at clocks with a face (I guess that's what we're calling analog?) vs. digital clocks.

Location hidden

#37 Nov 6, 2012
I have no cable TV, so no clock with the TV setup. Clocks on my microwave and oven (one's on top of the other). Alarm clock in my bedroom. Computer. cell phone, ipad, ipod.

At the new place, I'll hang my old Irish clock up somewhere.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#38 Nov 6, 2012
L3: My mother taught me when I was 7 that it is rude to discuss upcoming group plans in the company of people who are not invited. Thanks, Mom.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#39 Nov 6, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I have a pretty battery-operated clock on my mantle. It was a gift from a good friend and there was a hook already installed. Unfortunately, I have to get out the step-stool to reach it when it is time to change the battery or the time - like now.
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#40 Nov 6, 2012
Toj wrote:
When I forget my phone at home (happens rarely), I hate it b/c it's my contact list, my clock and of course my phone.
And if I leave my phone at work, I hate it b/c it's my alarm clock, my contact list and my phone.
My contact list is also written in a small DayTimer in my purse, using pencil or waterproof ink. When the phone is left home or runs out of charge I am not isolated.

/signed? Resident Dinosauress

My kids tell me you can tell the age of a person by whether they have a watch or a cell phone. Kids don't wear watches.
Kuuipo

Monterey, CA

#41 Nov 6, 2012
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>My contact list is also written in a small DayTimer in my purse, using pencil or waterproof ink. When the phone is left home or runs out of charge I am not isolated.
/signed? Resident Dinosauress
My kids tell me you can tell the age of a person by whether they have a watch or a cell phone. Kids don't wear watches.
I didn't think so, either, but my 25-year old friend just bought a watch. I couldn't believe my eyes...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min Portlandia 1,153,025
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min jacques Ottawau 181,699
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 1 hr Sublime1 19
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr D_e_ath__to__tyrants 70,986
Deat Abby 12-16 2 hr Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 4 hr cute_bwoy 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News