|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a simpler solution: teach abstinence. Or at least safe sex. Or how bout you teach them not to have unprotected sex with people they don't know? Teenagers must be growing stupider, huh? Do we blame society or the parents?
I don't know the details of your opinion on this, but only teaching abstinence is stupid and dangerous. Teaching about safe sex is a great idea, which most (or at least a large outspoken portion of) conservatives oppose. People have been having risky sex forever, so it's ridiculous to say it's some *new* trend with today's youth being stupid. It's fairly common for young people to overlook risks for immediate rewards, and it's common for libido to overrule reason.

And, yes, if we don't properly educate our children or if we make it difficult for teens to obtain condoms, we are to blame. So every righteous parent who objects and protests to their teens having access to (or being given) condoms deserves some of the blame for kids engaging in risky sex.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Teaching abstinence-only is a disaster. Texas does that, and they now have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

i went to an ultra conservative catholic high school. we had a higher, out of wedlock, live birth rate in my senior class than the public school did (that we knew of - assuming that our class would be more likely to have a girl "go spend time on grandmother's farm" than the public school kids).

there was one family that refused to allow their girls take biology AT ALL because of the carefully worded chapter on reproduction that had a separate permission slip. the reprodcution chapter was on a very basic cellular level; i don't remember muhc emphasis at all on the, ahem, mechanics of how the reporductive cells came together....

there was a two week chapter on "christian marriage" that paid all the attention on the relationship and marriage as a means to children, but nothing on the mechanics of "the act."

somehow, i'm reminded of the episode of Family Guy where peter decides he's born again christian and wont have $eks wiht his wife, but she wakes up one night to him humping her ear... that was fine to him because taht's not $eks.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Teaching abstinence-only is a disaster. Texas does that, and they now have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the country.
MY school taught abstinence and we DON'T have the highest teen pregnancy in the nation. So what say you to that? You're making an illogical comparison.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Aisle Sitter wrote:
i went to an ultra conservative catholic high school. we had a higher, out of wedlock, live birth rate in my senior class than the public school did
Catholics don't believe in birth control. Think that might have something to do with it? And back to Angela's point, Texas has a high population of Mexicans. Mexicans are primarily Catholic. So maybe THAT'S the reason Texas has the highest rate of teen pregnancies? And also because Texas is a highly populated state? So it's simply a numbers game. You can't point to abstinence education and claim THAT'S the reason.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

cycle003 wrote:
People have been having risky sex forever, so it's ridiculous to say it's some *new* trend with today's youth being stupid.
No it's not. You have the attitude of throwing up your hands because there's no way to stop anything so the burden now lays on society as a whole to swallow the costs of std's and healthcare. I'm simply postulating another alternative: teach teens to be responsible and that there are consequences for their actions. Ridiculous concept, I know. I've made it my whole life thusfar not getting an STD or a random girl pregnant. I must be extremely lucky and an extreme minority. Or I was taught better...?

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics don't believe in birth control. Think that might have something to do with it? And back to Angela's point, Texas has a high population of Mexicans. Mexicans are primarily Catholic. So maybe THAT'S the reason Texas has the highest rate of teen pregnancies? And also because Texas is a highly populated state? So it's simply a numbers game. You can't point to abstinence education and claim THAT'S the reason.
birth rate is a percentage... X birhts per 1000 women or whatever. that is an equalizer across variables.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No it's not. You have the attitude of throwing up your hands because there's no way to stop anything so the burden now lays on society as a whole to swallow the costs of std's and healthcare. I'm simply postulating another alternative: teach teens to be responsible and that there are consequences for their actions. Ridiculous concept, I know. I've made it my whole life thusfar not getting an STD or a random girl pregnant. I must be extremely lucky and an extreme minority. Or I was taught better...?
Did you abstain as a teen?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but it wasn't by choice, if you know what I mean...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics don't believe in birth control.
Catholics don't believe in pre-marital sex either. Guess they're on the cafeteria plan.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it sure wasn't by choice! Dam those abstinence programs!

I might have scored a few times with passed out drunk girls, but I never got an std or one of them pregnant. So I take issue with Cycle's "we just can't stop it so might as well embrace it" attitude. MILLIONS of teens DON'T have sex. Millions of teens REFUSE to have sex. Don't tell cycle, though, his head might explode.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
birth rate is a percentage... X birhts per 1000 women or whatever. that is an equalizer across variables.
No it's not. Get a thousand Mexican women and and a thousand Protestant women and which group will have the higher rate of pregnancies, do you think?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
I might have scored a few times with passed out drunk girls, but I never got an std or one of them pregnant.
So was it blind luck or were you taught safe sex and used protection?
edogxxx wrote:
So I take issue with Cycle's "we just can't stop it so might as well embrace it" attitude.
We CAN'T stop it. We can only hope to contain it. To think you can stop teen sex is just plain foolish.
edogxxx wrote:
MILLIONS of teens DON'T have sex. Millions of teens REFUSE to have sex.
And millions DO have sex. What's your point. No one ever said EVERY teen is having sex.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it sure wasn't by choice! Dam those abstinence programs!
I might have scored a few times with passed out drunk girls, but I never got an std or one of them pregnant. So I take issue with Cycle's "we just can't stop it so might as well embrace it" attitude. MILLIONS of teens DON'T have sex. Millions of teens REFUSE to have sex. Don't tell cycle, though, his head might explode.
So by your own example, abstinance programs don't work. You wanted into any pair of panties that would let you in and what was taught to you in school probably sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

And unless you used a condom every time (which you don't say either way) you were just lucky that you didn't catch anything or knock the girl up.
pde

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
And unless you used a condom every time (which you don't say either way) you were just lucky that you didn't catch anything or knock the girl up.
And HPV is one of those STDs that you don't necessarily know that you "caught" until such time as you're given a HPV antibodies test or diagnosed with an HPV-linked cancer. Most people who are infected do not know they are infected since there are few to no outward signs, depending on the strain.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
MY school taught abstinence and we DON'T have the highest teen pregnancy in the nation. So what say you to that? You're making an illogical comparison.
YOUR school taught abstinence but plenty of other schools in Illinois did more, so that's why your state isn't at the top of thel ist for teen pregnancy. In Texas, it's state-wide.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The population of Texas has no bearing. It's a RATE of teen pregnancies, not overall numbers.# per 1,000. That's how you can compare one state to another.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholics don't believe in birth control.
A majority of Catholics DO believe in birth control and practice it. They just are disobeying their pope.
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

In defense of the Lone Star State, some of our teens simply marry young, like sixteen or seventeen with parental consent. And, while it may be a good idea for young married couples to wait to have babies, they sometimes have a child or two before age twenty....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min John Galt 1,095,764
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 min SLY WEST 552
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 6 min SLY WEST 286
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min JOEL 68,837
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 17 min Pippa 97,783
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 27 min KiMare 49,257
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 31 min boundary painter 1,239
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 58 min Learn to Read 176,771

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago