|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
1 cyclists should either be forced to abide by the rules or run over.
Agreed. AND, if they are a "vehicle" then they need to have brake lights, turn signals, front and rear lights for driving in low light/night situations. Additionally they should have to have license plates with tabs that they have to renew every year and have a safety inspection every two. They should also be required to have liability insurance just like any other "vehicle."

On another note...school zones. I think low speeds in school zones are a good idea. However we are all taught to "stop look and listen" from the moment we enter kindergarten if not earlier. We have years and years of learning to look for cars and cross a street properly/safely.

Ergo, if you don't have it in your head by 9th or 10th grade (14/15) you are never going to learn. Why should I have to slow down from a perfectly reasonable peed, say 30 mph to 20 just because there is a high school? If they are so dumb that they haven't learned to look for cars by then...OUT of the gene pool!

/rant
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

1: I'd be happy if people could remember that you ride WITH traffic...sick of people riding against you.
Just hit them.

2: I hate platitudes. I hate when every moron co-worker asks how are you--they don't care; they want the obligatory 'fine.'
Hoever, I won't be writing in about it as if that would fix all my issues.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Agreed. AND, if they are a "vehicle" then they need to have brake lights, turn signals, front and rear lights for driving in low light/night situations. Additionally they should have to have license plates with tabs that they have to renew every year and have a safety inspection every two. They should also be required to have liability insurance just like any other "vehicle."
That is just utterly ridiculous.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
1: I'd be happy if people could remember that you ride WITH traffic...sick of people riding against you.
Just hit them.
I don't agree with that rule. You can't see what's coming up behind you. A car could be veering right at you and you'd never know it. Or a truck with a 2 by 4 sticking out the side. No way, my life and safety is more important than some law. I ride AGAINST traffic, baby!

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

And I almost hit a dude on a bike because he blasted through a stop sign without so much as a glance, wearing his dorky little helmet and shorty-shorts. I yelled at him. If I had hit him, I probably would have been cited for not yielding to a cyclist. I'd be drug through the court system, he probably would have sued me... yeah, I gave him the what-for.
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
1 cyclists should either be forced to abide by the rules or run over.
That's *exactly* what the LW REALLY wanted to say.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

I never said anything to the contrary. But I dont endorse any logic that caters to their poor thighs having to work from a standing start. They knew this when the climbed on the bike, so whining is not allowed.

FWIW, I think bikes should have their own roads, I think that will do more to encourage their use in urban areas.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Many bicyclists do own cars, so they do pay taxes and deserve to use the roads safely. I fully support bicyclists.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with that rule. You can't see what's coming up behind you. A car could be veering right at you and you'd never know it. Or a truck with a 2 by 4 sticking out the side. No way, my life and safety is more important than some law. I ride AGAINST traffic, baby!
Yeah, but that's the risk you take having a freaking bike on a place meant for a huge car. I drive around town on my bike and avoid roads for this reason. If I can't find a sidewalk, I won't ride.
I get your logic of not seeing, but as a driver, it's easier to see/avoid a bicylist when they are going in your direction.
I'm sure the rule wasn't arbitrary but based on decades of data.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2013

cheluzal wrote:
I'm sure the rule wasn't arbitrary but based on decades of data.
Eh... I think you have too much faith in our lawmakers. I'm going with arbitrary.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh... I think you have too much faith in our lawmakers. I'm going with arbitrary.
Hardly.
I question government more than anyone in my circle of influence, but like seatbelts, after so many years of data, a trend or desired way makes itself pretty evident.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]