Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

DEAR ABBY: Now that California law prohibits drivers from using cellphones and texting while driving, an additional issue needs to be addressed and acted upon. Bicyclists are supposed to abide by the vehicle codes, too, but they rarely do -- and that includes not wearing protective gear.

I'm now seeing people on bikes texting, talking while riding and routinely ignoring stop signs. Disappointingly, I have never seen a single rider pulled over or ticketed for doing this. How many lives must be destroyed or lost before the police start enforcing penalties for the danger these people cause to others?-- CARING READER, SACRAMENTO, CALIF.

DEAR CARING READER: You're asking something I have been asking myself for some time. I understand that teenagers may think they're immortal as they whiz along the streets, but the adults I see weaving in and out and ignoring stop signs are old enough to know better.

Many cities promote bicycling as a way to mitigate traffic congestion and encourage a healthier, more active lifestyle. Police may ignore the infractions because they have more serious crimes to attend to. Or perhaps they have been instructed to do so.(If members of law enforcement would like to address this, I'd love to hear from you.)

While I'm on the subject of cyclists, I should mention my own concern about riders who wear dark clothing and ride after dark. Not all neighborhoods are well lit, and I have seen near misses because of it.

Although dark colors are fashionable, wouldn't it make sense for people who ride at night to wear jackets with reversible linings in a lighter color?(I have seen a few with fluorescent trim, but there haven't been many.) And if drivers are pulled over for broken or missing headlights or taillights, shouldn't the same be true for bicyclists?

DEAR ABBY: My son serves on a ship in the Navy in an area known for terrorism. People who know this tell me how safe his ship is, how strong the U.S. military is, etc.

Please, people, when I (or anyone else who has a family member in the military) ask for prayers or express concern, do not offer these platitudes. Understand that our fears are real, and so are our tears.

Offer a hug, a hand-squeeze, say you will pray for us -- but understand that until our loved ones are back on U.S. soil, our fears and tension won't lessen. Unless you have been in our shoes, you can't know how we feel when we watch the news because we have no true idea of what is going on. Our military family members can't tell us, and often we have no (or limited) contact with them. I cry alone often.

I am proud of my son for his service and even encouraged it, but this is a rough time for me and others who are in this situation.-- MILITARY MOTHER

DEAR MILITARY MOTHER: Thank you for writing. Many people are uncomfortable when they encounter an emotional situation and don't know what to say. Their impulse is to "make it better," not realizing that sometimes a gesture is more eloquent than words can be.

I agree with you that when a loved one is in harm's way, it is an emotional roller-coaster ride for all concerned -- the parents, the siblings, the spouses and the children of our servicemen and -women.

TO MY JEWISH READERS. Tonight at sundown, Yom Kippur, our Day of Atonement begins. For observant Jewish people, this is a time to fast, to reflect, to pray and formally repent for any sins that might have been committed during the previous Hebrew year. To all of you, may your fast be an easy one.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

L1: "California law prohibits drivers from using cellphones" Not true. The California law allows drivers to use hands-free mobile devices.

L2: How about YOU don't get to dictate how everyone else handles this?

L3: Pronounced "Yohm kih-POUR," not "yahm kipper." FWIW.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LW1: I think a person on a bike primarily endangers themselves by this conduct. Thatís an important distinction between those behind a wheel and behind a handlebar. So, I donít know why this bothers you that much Ö do you really thing someone on a bike will kill you if you run them over? While itís is possible, I donít think thatís very likely.

LW2: So, when you express concern you want them to tell you ďthe sky is falling, the sky is fallingĒ and not reassure you? I think anytime one is serving, there is danger, but being on a ship is much safer than kicking down doors.

Heck, he might even be safer than a civilian. Iíve heard, in the first gulf war you were more likely to die being a civilian back in the states than serving in the war. Not at all trying to diminish those who served, just saying from a worrying perspective, you are probably being a bit irrational.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

1- And raised their minimum wage to ten dollars an hour. Now we'll see if this will help their economy, or hurt it.

2- Screw you! They're just giving you reassurance. But they're right. Go complain to a mother whose son is on the front line as a marine.
boundary painter

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LW1 is making California look bossy and invasive.

LW2 seems a little too sensitive.(Or does she really want someone to say, "Oh you poor dear.
Your son is so far away. Can I buy you lunch?")

:)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

1 cyclists should either be forced to abide by the rules or run over.

2 Being on a ship is a lot safer than being boots on the ground.

3 To all my jewish friends, while you are grumpy and hungry, I will be eating a pig.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

L1: While we're at it, let's get those kid's on their tricycles not obeying laws!

L2: My goodness! Be happy someone is thinking of you and is trying to make you feel better, even if they fail. We all don't have your rule book in our hands.

L3: I'm hoping this makes for a quiet Friday today.
Cass

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

LW1 - So, when people try to reassure you, you b!tch. What would you say if they responded with, "Oh, my God! How awful for you! You must not sleep at night. He could DIE any moment! How do you get through every day of your life? Poor you!"?

LW2 - I don't know how they do it up there in Sacramento, but I've never seen a biker texting. Running stop signs? Sure. Wearing head-sets so that they can't hear what's going on around them? Sure. Talking on the phone (NOT hand-held)? Sure, but that's not illegal either for cars or bikes. The reality, though, that in a collision between a bike and a car, the bicyclist loses big time. And in a collision between a biker and a pedestrian, pedestrians are advised to pay attention to what's going on around them and not step in front of bicyclists talking on cell-phones.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LW1: Are offering to pay for the additional police officers that will be required to carry out your wishes?

Yeah, didn't think so.

LW2: You seem to be crying a lot. Have you talked to a therapist about this? Because your sadness and over-sensitivity seem a touch extreme.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
LW1: I think a person on a bike primarily endangers themselves by this conduct. Thatís an important distinction between those behind a wheel and behind a handlebar. So, I donít know why this bothers you that much Ö do you really thing someone on a bike will kill you if you run them over? While itís is possible, I donít think thatís very likely.
While I agree, you would still feel horrible if you hit someone. This happened to someone I know. I can't imagine how terrible I'd feel, even if the cyclist more or less did it to himself.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
While I agree, you would still feel horrible if you hit someone. This happened to someone I know. I can't imagine how terrible I'd feel, even if the cyclist more or less did it to himself.
That is true, but in many circumstances before I feel compelled to control another adult, my safety has to be at play ... not just theirs. If someone wants to be a moron I think you should have the right to be a moron, unless you posse a grave danger to others or society.

That's why I'm generally not in favor of nanny state laws. I don't think the government should be in the business of protecting individuals from themselves.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true, but in many circumstances before I feel compelled to control another adult, my safety has to be at play ... not just theirs. If someone wants to be a moron I think you should have the right to be a moron, unless you posse a grave danger to others or society.
That's why I'm generally not in favor of nanny state laws. I don't think the government should be in the business of protecting individuals from themselves.
I do have to admot a moment of evil thinking last week.... A cyclist FLEW through a very wide 4 way stop in an office park without a split second of hesitation. Could have easily gotten hit. I told myself if he got hit I would have pointed and laughed. I wouldn't have REALLY done that, but it might have been tempting. I got my come-uppance when the guy rode his bike in the middle of the road through the rest of the office park.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

I'm more supportive of bicyclists. It requires more energy for a biker to start from a complete stop than it does for a person driving a car (just a foot on the gas pedal), so if a biker runs stopsigns *without impeding others who have the right of way/it's their turn,* then I'm fine with it.

But I am in the minority on that.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'm more supportive of bicyclists. It requires more energy for a biker to start from a complete stop than it does for a person driving a car (just a foot on the gas pedal), so if a biker runs stopsigns *without impeding others who have the right of way/it's their turn,* then I'm fine with it.
We've gotten a lot more bike paths in the Loop. Seems to help with the flow from what I can tell.

I'd be scared to ride a bike down here, though. If it isn't the cabbies and the busses that will squish you (they don't seem to hesitate doing what they want when you're in a car which is more protected), it's the pedestrians walking out in front of the bikers b/c they forget to look for them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
We've gotten a lot more bike paths in the Loop. Seems to help with the flow from what I can tell.
I'd be scared to ride a bike down here, though. If it isn't the cabbies and the busses that will squish you (they don't seem to hesitate doing what they want when you're in a car which is more protected), it's the pedestrians walking out in front of the bikers b/c they forget to look for them.
In Mpls, I"ve seen bicyclists riding on very busy streets such as Lyndale or Hennepin, when if they'd just move one street over, there's a lot fewer cars, fewer stoplights (more stop signs), and just less traffic. I'd ride on a slower, safer street.

I do admit, sometimes, bicyclists are just being assholes and taking up a whole lane because they can. I would never think I get to own a whole lane on a four-lane road with tons of congestion. I just don't think it's in my own best interest to think that way, as a vulnerable bicyclist.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
In Mpls, I"ve seen bicyclists riding on very busy streets such as Lyndale or Hennepin, when if they'd just move one street over, there's a lot fewer cars, fewer stoplights (more stop signs), and just less traffic. I'd ride on a slower, safer street.
I do admit, sometimes, bicyclists are just being assholes and taking up a whole lane because they can. I would never think I get to own a whole lane on a four-lane road with tons of congestion. I just don't think it's in my own best interest to think that way, as a vulnerable bicyclist.
Before the bike lanes, that's how it would work in the loop -- a cyclist would take a lane. But traffic doesn't exactly move fast in the loop so it's not a big problem with traffic flow. The main problem is a bicycle is more difficult to actually see. Of course, you'd get your renegade cyclist who would weave in and out of traffic to get ahead b/c they can fit between cars.

Scary stuff.

Bike lanes fixed most of that weaving stuff, though.

In the 'burbs -- or even basically outside of the Loop, you would never think to take a lane. You'd be killed. Literally.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I live in Evanston (1st suburb north of the city) I end up taking Lake Shore Drive alot. To get there, most of the greater chicagoland area takes Sheridan Road (which also happens to be the street I live on). In Evanston, Sheridan is only two lanes, parking on only one side, and bike lanes going both directions. It's tight, but cars and bikes seem to be able to coexist. But once you cross over into Chicago, Sheridan becomes 4 lanes, parking on both sides and no bike lanes. I see sooooo many bikers riding on this part of Sheridan and I believe they must have gonads of steel to do it. There is absolutely no wiggle room, so basically they end up riding in and making the right lane completely unusable for cars (and the big @ss CTA buses). I don't know how more people don't get injured or killed on it, with the speed of the cars and the constant weaving to avoid buses and left turners and cars parallel parking.

I see no good reason to put your life on the line like that when you could literally go one block west and ride on a completely residential street with almost no traffic. I just don't get it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Where I saw it happen (in the office park), there was NO WAY he could have seen if cars were making a left into the intersection from where the cyclist was. It is a VERY large (wide) intersection and cars were in every lane. But I guess there are jerky cyclists just like there are jerky car drivers. I still think there are certain roads they should NOT be on. Same with 20 MPH scooters on main thoroughfares traversed by MANY 18=wheel semis (another road I drive on daily).

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Toughtitties kitty, get a GD car if you want to be on the road.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
It requires more energy for a biker to start from a complete stop than it does for a person driving a car (just a foot on the gas pedal),

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Toughtitties kitty, get a GD car if you want to be on the road.
<quoted text>
Many bicyclists do own cars, so they do pay taxes and deserve to use the roads safely. I fully support bicyclists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

47 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Eman 1,082,945
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Learn to Read 175,053
1 Blessing From God 13 min Stephen Levi 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min litesong 45,864
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 48,989
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr texas pete 303
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr nono 3,840
Abby 7-29 4 hr j_m_w 16
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Sublime1 97,573
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••