Alfonso Soriano leads Cubs over Reds 5-3

Alfonso Soriano leads Cubs over Reds 5-3

There are 93 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 25, 2009, titled Alfonso Soriano leads Cubs over Reds 5-3. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Cubs have been waiting for Alfonso Soriano to go on one of his patented hot streaks since the middle of May.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Go Cubs Go!”

Since: Sep 07

Homewood

#85 Jul 28, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
I was OK with this until the last sentence. Soriano has already ahd a better career than that; and isn't every player a major injury away from those ranks?
Not every player makes $18 million dollars per year over the life of an 8 year deal.. He's already a horrible defensive outfielder and he still has 5 years left on his deal after this year! The contract is nearly impossible to move, what happens in three years, does the team dare move him to first base? Will he still have any offensive game in 3 years let alone 5???

Mike Hamptons contract saddled the Rockies for nearly a decade with a tight payroll. The Cubs are already feeling the effects of his contract at the trading deadline in year 3.

“Go Cubs Go!”

Homewood

#86 Jul 29, 2009
1965CubsFan wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont know baseball to well,so heres some avdice kid. To be an Elite team(look up elite) you should consistently make the playoffs and win your division! The Cubs are on their way to their 3rd staright div title this year and 4th in less than 7 years. The Cards have a ways to go to match the Cubs of late! You are as good as how you have played lately,not 7 years ago!! You can be an Elite team, a great team, a good team and a bad team. No Way are the Cards elite LOL!! The Cubs arent even Elite,even though we are much better. The jury is still out this year,but the Cubs have been great as of late. The Cards fall into the good category over the last 3 years or so! By the way I have followed Baseball closely for the last 44 years(Ouch I am 51 already Yikes lol).
Fans of a team that hasn't won a title in 101 years shouldn't be the judges of "eliteness", especially of a team that won a title just three years ago... I'm sorry to say but the Cardinals have been the elite team in the NL for most of the last 70 years..

I'm gonna go puke for having typed that now..
Stratmaster

Memphis, TN

#87 Jul 30, 2009
Northside Neuman wrote:
<quoted text>
Not every player makes $18 million dollars per year over the life of an 8 year deal.. He's already a horrible defensive outfielder and he still has 5 years left on his deal after this year! The contract is nearly impossible to move, what happens in three years, does the team dare move him to first base? Will he still have any offensive game in 3 years let alone 5???
Mike Hamptons contract saddled the Rockies for nearly a decade with a tight payroll. The Cubs are already feeling the effects of his contract at the trading deadline in year 3.
The long term contract was what it took to get him in Chicago for the window of opportunity Hendry saw to win a WS. If they win one, or even get to one, then no one will be complaining. As far as how much, are you paying his salary? I could care less as long as the ticket prices continue to stay in line with other teams.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

#88 Jul 30, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
The long term contract was what it took to get him in Chicago for the window of opportunity Hendry saw to win a WS. If they win one, or even get to one, then no one will be complaining. As far as how much, are you paying his salary? I could care less as long as the ticket prices continue to stay in line with other teams.
Soriano cost them DeRosa and probably Peavy or Halladay or Lee as well.
Horrible signing.
They couldn't have done any better with $118 mil?
Stratmaster

Memphis, TN

#89 Jul 30, 2009
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>Soriano cost them DeRosa and probably Peavy or Halladay or Lee as well.
Horrible signing.
They couldn't have done any better with $118 mil?
I'm not sure how you are reasoning that Soriano cost them Derosa or any of those other players. I would suggest that Bradley may have xost them DeRosa as I believe DeRosa and Soriano were both on the team last year, weren't they? Derosa is a great utility player. Are you comparing Derosa to Soriano for an impact player?

One last question. Do you EVER freaking sleep? lol

“Go Cubs Go!”

Homewood

#90 Jul 30, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure how you are reasoning that Soriano cost them Derosa or any of those other players. I would suggest that Bradley may have xost them DeRosa as I believe DeRosa and Soriano were both on the team last year, weren't they? Derosa is a great utility player. Are you comparing Derosa to Soriano for an impact player?
Actually it was $138 million if I'm not mistaken..

How many player in the history of the game have ever been offered an 8 year contract? Mike Hampton is the only one I can recall recently. When you're paying an athelte this kind of money its a HUGE RISK giving him a deal longer than 5 years.

His production does not merrit his contract, they way overpaid on a yearly basis and they made a massive mistake on the numer of year they gave him. They could have gotten him for 5 years I bet.

And yes I am paying his salary with my season tickets, which go up 20% every other year. I'm not sure I would call that increase reasonable..
Nada Surf

#91 Jul 30, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
One last question. Do you EVER freaking sleep? lol
RO FL...
I sleep a lot in fact..
I'm usually out at about 3 a.m. your time until 11 a.m...
The Cubs had to cut payroll this season, apparently, so the highest and most wasteful spent on player gets my nod as the one that forced DeRosa out....
SgtX

Aurora, IL

#92 Jul 31, 2009
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on what stats are the Cardinals an elite team?? You havent given any? The Cardinals are NOT an elite team. Your definition of elite is not accurate. I totally agree with the 1965cubfan,you are definitely in left field on this one LOL..
How about Wins and Losses for the past 50 years? I think that is about as accurate of a stat as you can get.
Stratmaster

Collierville, TN

#93 Aug 1, 2009
Northside Neuman wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it was $138 million if I'm not mistaken..
How many player in the history of the game have ever been offered an 8 year contract? Mike Hampton is the only one I can recall recently. When you're paying an athelte this kind of money its a HUGE RISK giving him a deal longer than 5 years.
His production does not merrit his contract, they way overpaid on a yearly basis and they made a massive mistake on the numer of year they gave him. They could have gotten him for 5 years I bet.
And yes I am paying his salary with my season tickets, which go up 20% every other year. I'm not sure I would call that increase reasonable..
Cubs tickets average $5 more than WhiteSox, for a product and experience easily worth $50 more (that was for you Nada). The Cubs didn;t get Soriano for 2011 and 2012. They got him to compete for a WS while they have a nucleus of talent that gives them a chance.
Nada Surf

#94 Aug 5, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Cubs tickets average $5 more than WhiteSox, for a product and experience easily worth $50 more (that was for you Nada). The Cubs didn;t get Soriano for 2011 and 2012. They got him to compete for a WS while they have a nucleus of talent that gives them a chance.
What on earth would make a person think that Soriano would give any team a better chance at a World Series?
Stratmaster

Fairhope, AL

#95 Aug 5, 2009
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>What on earth would make a person think that Soriano would give any team a better chance at a World Series?
Maybe the 40HR/40SB season he had before the Cubs picked him up? I don't know, just guessing you know...
Nada Surf

#96 Aug 5, 2009
Stratmaster wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the 40HR/40SB season he had before the Cubs picked him up? I don't know, just guessing you know...
Soriano, as I'm sure you know, is not the typical 40-homer guy...
The year prior to the Cubs signing him, he hit 46 homers on a 71-win Washington team that had absolutely no pressure on it.
He still managed to hit all those homers and failed to drive in 100 runs.
Solo homers aren't going to get it done --neither will poor defense--and yet Hendry gave this guy $18 mil over eight years.
With Soriano clogging the cap the way he has and his decline in production that wasn't all that good anyway, the Cubs have no shot of getting to the World Series as long as he's around, although they managed to put together a pretty good team last season...
This is the worst signing I've seen in baseball in years.
Northside Neuman

San Francisco, CA

#97 Jan 5, 2012
bottomline is- wrote:
<quoted text>
ya your right...the guys been so bad for the cubs...YOUR A MORON
stop forgetting that the guy has been to 7 straight (i think) allstar games prior to this season...including 2 as a Cub.
In 2007 he had THE BEST FINAL MONTH OF THE SEASON BY A CUB EVER...single-handedly won our division...
he led our team in HRs last year and will most likely lead the team again this year..he is having a down year, no doubt about it, but he is a stud and if you take away this horrible 2 month stretch his Cubs career has been stellar.
if you think its impossible for MLB allstar caliber players to bounce back then think again...you dont even need to leave this city to find examples (Dye, Konerko, D Lee, Edmonds, Dempster) Soriano is obviously very highly paid but that is not his fault, he will perform and he may not be the 40/40 guy he was in Washington but people have far too short of memories with him.
How's that Soriano contract working out for you bottomline, stil happy with his production????

Time tells who is the moron is this conversation... YOU!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min RoxLo 1,345,939
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 48 min Jacques in Orleans 207,387
Hillary a dirty filthy liar. 48 min Donald Trump 29
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 592
last post wins! (Dec '10) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 1,567
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Red_Forman 7,272
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr Red_Forman 5,635
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages