Scientists say they have proved clima...

Scientists say they have proved climate change is real, now mus...

There are 7942 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 9, 2008, titled Scientists say they have proved climate change is real, now mus.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Scientists studying the changing nature of the Earth's climate say they have completed one crucial task - proving beyond a doubt that global warming is real.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8242 Aug 10, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
You're far more likely to visit space one day, than to mitigate climate change. The reason is, scientists have actually demonstrated space flight but climate change mitigation remains untried and untested.
Perhaps so Brian, buts what's the conclusion to that unique, never before heard insight?

Continue the wars, pollute at will, pump the carbon into the atmosphere, allow (American) industries to rip the hell out of the resources ... is that what you're saying?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#8243 Aug 10, 2013
Does CD think climate change mitigation will stop wars, stop us from exhaling carbon into the air or stop the use of resources and the byproducts of industry?

Seems like man made catastrophic climate change theory is based on fantasy and illusion instead of science.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8244 Aug 11, 2013
I afraid Brian, that it wont. However man in his intelligence intuitively knows when enough is enough. And many of us are quite prepared to strive for more efficient use of fossil fuels in order to mitigate climate change and conserve an irreplaceable resource for a future generation. That takes both international dialogue, and a commitment of effort.

The above makes clear sense.

I find that a belief system based approach such as yours is normally the mark of a Lobby group for one industry or another. 42,629 post Brian ... you must be well rewarded, Man!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#8245 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
You're far more likely to visit space one day, than to mitigate climate change. The reason is, scientists have actually demonstrated space flight but climate change mitigation remains untried and untested.
That's not what you've said before.

You've said our greenhouse gases have prevented the next ice age. Make up your mind.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#8246 Aug 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What a silly statement to make.
My reply to earthling below applies to you, too.
Media Matters and the Union of Concerned Scientists are commenting on Fox News? Two very biased organizations are commenting on another organization's bias?

What a silly way to support a silly statement.
Bollocks

Sydney, Australia

#8247 Aug 11, 2013
Green power goes ahead, investment are multiplying, new companies and concerns are being developed to deal with this, governments are investing. Meanwhile the dumb of the world keep denying it. Lets face it guys you have no education, no research stations and no proof except a bunch of links from the internet written by another clown or two. It makes me laugh how all this research has to be checked and triple checked and than idiots on the internet know better. Ha ha! You will be ignored just like on countless other issues, by your own governments, that's because the people there have already hired smart people to advise them and you are not one of them. They are called scientists, they have respect. You are called internet peasants and have nothing but made up garbage and some links from other nutters. That's why no one is listening and the amount of green projects has gone up sharply. History will consign you to being throwbacks leftover from another age, people like me already have. Go gnaw a bone, you can send each other web links on how to gnaw properly, you'll be qualified, maybe.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#8248 Aug 11, 2013
Clear Dharma wrote:
I afraid Brian, that it wont. However man in his intelligence intuitively knows when enough is enough. And many of us are quite prepared to strive for more efficient use of fossil fuels in order to mitigate climate change and conserve an irreplaceable resource for a future generation. That takes both international dialogue, and a commitment of effort. The above makes clear sense. I find that a belief system based approach such as yours is normally the mark of a Lobby group for one industry or another. 42,629 post Brian ... you must be well rewarded, Man!
When did the geological processes that created fossil fuel stop?

In fact, solar and wind take "irreplaceable resource" because once you use a photon or the wind, you need to wait for more while if you use coal, oil or gas all you have to do is buy as much more as you like.

We need an energy policy that encourages the production and use of energy and fuel. Not green energy sold by crony capitalists and their paid prostitutes in Washington.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#8249 Aug 11, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
That's not what you've said before. You've said our greenhouse gases have prevented the next ice age. Make up your mind.
That's not what I said; that was based on an undemonstrated assumption. We've gone over this before.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8250 Aug 11, 2013
Bollocks wrote:
Green power goes ahead, investment are multiplying, new companies and concerns are being developed to deal with this, governments are investing. Meanwhile the dumb of the world keep denying it. Lets face it guys you have no education, no research stations and no proof except a bunch of links from the internet written by another clown or two. It makes me laugh how all this research has to be checked and triple checked and than idiots on the internet know better. Ha ha! You will be ignored just like on countless other issues, by your own governments, that's because the people there have already hired smart people to advise them and you are not one of them. They are called scientists, they have respect. You are called internet peasants and have nothing but made up garbage and some links from other nutters. That's why no one is listening and the amount of green projects has gone up sharply. History will consign you to being throwbacks leftover from another age, people like me already have. Go gnaw a bone, you can send each other web links on how to gnaw properly, you'll be qualified, maybe.
Good post ...made me smile :-)
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8251 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When did the geological processes that created fossil fuel stop?
It didn't Brian. IS that a question you asked of yourself, or just a stocking filler to give the pretense that you know something about natural processes?
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, solar and wind take "irreplaceable resource" because once you use a photon or the wind, you need to wait for more while if you use coal, oil or gas all you have to do is buy as much more as you like.
We need an energy policy that encourages the production and use of energy and fuel. Not green energy sold by crony capitalists and their paid prostitutes in Washington.
Brian ... do you not see the different between the value of a photon hitting a solar panel and generating energy, as opposed to the same photon hitting a rock and you running out to burn a finite stock of fossil fuel to create the same quantum of energy?

We have a policy that encourages the use of fossil fuels. Are you meaning more efficient use of fossil fules, or just wanton abuse of fossil fuels on an I-dont-give-a-fcuk scale? I only ask as you dont appear to have answered my original question.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#8252 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Nice reasoning. The geological process that created fosssil fuel will lock up and bury the carbon once again. In about 100 million years or so. All we gotta do is wait!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#8253 Aug 11, 2013
I don't want a government that tells me I must conserve, I must get along with less. Our government should encourage the production and use of energy and fuel, not try to control our behavior and force us into poverty.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

#8254 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Great question that no "believer" has the courage to contemplate much less look for the answer.
Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8255 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
I don't want a government that tells me I must conserve, I must get along with less. Our government should encourage the production and use of energy and fuel, not try to control our behavior and force us into poverty.
So what's wrong with creating efficient use of machines that burn less of the precious and irreplaceable fossil fuels. The more this generation uses, the less available for future generations, right? Does your attitude not sound just a tad egocentric, Brian?

For example, what's wrong with investing money to design and build automobiles that do 60 mpg instead of 15 mpg? How does you're hard done by ass suffer in that example?
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#8256 Aug 11, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice reasoning. The geological process that created fosssil fuel will lock up and bury the carbon once again. In about 100 million years or so. All we gotta do is wait!
Still does not address the question of when the process stopped. And if it has not stopped then there is no need to "wait". A concept that would cause severe cognitive dissonance so we will not get a 'reasoned response' from those who keep the faith.
OnlyPatchWork

Carmel, NY

#8257 Aug 11, 2013
Clear Dharma wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's wrong with creating efficient use of machines that burn less of the precious and irreplaceable fossil fuels. The more this generation uses, the less available for future generations, right? Does your attitude not sound just a tad egocentric, Brian?
For example, what's wrong with investing money to design and build automobiles that do 60 mpg instead of 15 mpg? How does you're hard done by ass suffer in that example?
Here is an interesting video about 10 Inventions suppressed by the status qou APPARENTLY.

Clear Dharma

Aberdeen, UK

#8258 Aug 11, 2013
OnlyPatchWork wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an interesting video about 10 Inventions suppressed by the status qou APPARENTLY.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zlE_Tgt8LiAXX
I'm sure Brian G would suppress ten more, if it meant he could burn more gas to move his ass closer to the TV without using his legs.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#8259 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:

And here I was thinking you couldn't get any more stupid.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#8260 Aug 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>That's not what I said; that was based on an undemonstrated assumption. We've gone over this before.
Yes, we have.

This is what you wrote on 3/28/13:
“Using fossil fuel helps free ancient carbon back into the atmosphere where it can do some good. Freeing carbon dioxide into the air helps mitigate climate change against global cooling; the well known ice age climate scenario.“

You already believe in mitigation. You said you did. You named a process and pointed to an example. You have no argument anymore, if you ever had one.

Unless you are lying....
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#8261 Aug 11, 2013
FF aka Fossil Fuels wrote:
<quoted text>
Media Matters and the Union of Concerned Scientists are commenting on Fox News? Two very biased organizations are commenting on another organization's bias?
What a silly way to support a silly statement.
PK, choose your bias, bunny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Dr Guru 194,484
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr nanoanomaly 1,263,163
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr pingpong 54,346
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr loose cannon 100,289
Holy Name Cathedral High School (Apr '08) 3 hr Gloria Castro 47
Teacher Bully 3 hr cheryl_walsh_is_a... 3
Opportunity knocks at the door only once. 4 hr Q372725176 degree 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages