Scientists say they have proved climate change is real, now mus...

Scientists studying the changing nature of the Earth's climate say they have completed one crucial task - proving beyond a doubt that global warming is real. Full Story

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#7473 Dec 30, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> The scientific method has four steps
1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.
If the experiments bear out the hypothesis it may come to be regarded as a theory or law of nature (more on the concepts of hypothesis, model, theory and law below). If the experiments do not bear out the hypothesis, it must be rejected or modified. What is key in the description of the scientific method just given is the predictive power (the ability to get more out of the theory than you put in; see Barrow, 1991) of the hypothesis or theory, as tested by experiment. It is often said in science that theories can never be proved, only disproved. There is always the possibility that a new observation or a new experiment will conflict with a long-standing theory.
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/ap...
LOL.

A college drop out lectures us on the scientific method.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7474 Dec 30, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> The scientific method has four steps
1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.
2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.
If the experiments bear out the hypothesis it may come to be regarded as a theory or law of nature (more on the concepts of hypothesis, model, theory and law below). If the experiments do not bear out the hypothesis, it must be rejected or modified. What is key in the description of the scientific method just given is the predictive power (the ability to get more out of the theory than you put in; see Barrow, 1991) of the hypothesis or theory, as tested by experiment. It is often said in science that theories can never be proved, only disproved. There is always the possibility that a new observation or a new experiment will conflict with a long-standing theory.
http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/ap...
In short scientist makes corrections to errors and discovers twenty five+- more errors to discover that their first correction is in error.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7475 Dec 30, 2012
pinheadlitesout wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone laughs at phudd, trying to hand out homework.
See why you’re the commander "pinheadliteout"? It was a request for you to show your own work. The cut and paste useless babble you spew is old. Look again that laugh you hear is directed at you.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7476 Dec 30, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No, you misunderstand the argument. The argument is like saying volcano control has never been demonstrated therefor volcano mitigation is a hoax. I make no argument about climate change or volcanoes, they both exist.
Do you understand now?
You said global warming is a hoax because there is no practical means of mitigating global warming.
mitigation: The action of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painfulness of something.

Of course I understand. You make the claim, it is countered, you attempt to obfuscate the claim. I understand perfectly well.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7477 Dec 30, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
You said global warming is a hoax because there is no practical means of mitigating global warming.
Chrom. misunderstood, I've never written "global warming is a hoax". There's no citation for that quote because that's now what I wrote.

I've written climate change mitigation is a hoax because there's never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation. Climate always changes, it warms, cools or stays the same.

ChromiuMan wrote:
mitigation: The action of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painfulness of something. Of course I understand. You make the claim, it is countered, you attempt to obfuscate the claim. I understand perfectly well.
Stawaman; of course global warming is real and so is global cooling. Climate change mitigation is the hoax, not climate change.

Reading comprehension - it's a wonderful thing.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7478 Dec 30, 2012
Remember these deniers are all dumb liars.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7479 Dec 30, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
mitigation: The action of reducing the severity, seriousness, or painfulness of something.
Of course I understand. You make the claim, it is countered, you attempt to obfuscate the claim. I understand perfectly well.
Yes, you are correct.

Nice.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7480 Dec 30, 2012
Remove the tax dollar and the climate change global warming cooling will solve itself.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#7481 Dec 31, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
Final remarks
There is unequivocal evidence that Earth’s lower atmosphere, ocean, and land surface are warming; sea level is rising; and snow cover, mountain glaciers, and Arctic sea ice are shrinking. The dominant cause of the warming since the 1950s is human activities. This scientific finding is based on a large and persuasive body of research. The observed warming will be irreversible for many years into the future, and even larger temperature increases will occur as greenhouse gases continue to accumulate in the atmosphere. Avoiding this future warming will require a large and rapid reduction in global greenhouse gas emissions. The ongoing warming will increase risks and stresses to human societies, economies, ecosystems, and wildlife through the 21st century and beyond, making it imperative that society respond to a changing climate. To inform decisions on adaptation and mitigation, it is critical that we improve our understanding of the global climate system and our ability to project future climate through continued and improved monitoring and research. This is especially true for smaller (seasonal and regional) scales and weather and climate extremes, and for important hydroclimatic variables such as precipitation and water availability.
Technological, economic, and policy choices in the near future will determine the extent of future impacts of climate change. Science-based decisions are seldom made in a context of absolute certainty. National and international policy discussions should include consideration of the best ways to both adapt to and mitigate climate change. Mitigation will reduce the amount of future climate change and the risk of impacts that are potentially large and dangerous. At the same time, some continued climate change is inevitable, and policy responses should include adaptation to climate change. Prudence dictates extreme care in accounting for our relationship with the only planet known to be capable of sustaining human life.
[This statement is considered in force until August 2017 unless superseded by a new statement issued by the AMS Council before this date.]
http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2012climatechan...
The same group that issued a position statement that made the mistake of using the IPCC AR4 report as a cornerstone to only discover that it was more fiction than fact. That also had meteorlogist publically disagreeing with them and calling for an investigation into their creditials. The same ones who compared climate models to the ones that predict weather when so few of those models are anything more than a educated historical guess after two weeks and that most climate models are written by people with little skill in programming or constructing accurate computer models.

In other words they are using interpretations of climate models that have a history of being wrong. Which means you have people making guesses off of bad data. Of course you might point out that they are weather experts but I would point out the same thing several alarmist pointed out to me that they know about weather and not climate. I would also point out that I may not be considered an expert in climate that I am an expert in computer models and in that can tell you those models are poor at best.

http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2007climatechan...

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#7482 Dec 31, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
Remember these deniers are all dumb liars.
Of course, otherwise you might have to admit that you are wrong and they are right. You cannot be wrong, even if you drive right off the cliff so the bridge out sign has to be a dumb lie.

Or another way to look at it is you are a denier, in denial about climate change, that humans in general have little power over the climate and you cannot stand the idea that you matter little in the world. You need to feel like you are doing something heroic even if the truth is that it will matter less than nothing and the future generations will look at you and laugh.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7483 Jan 1, 2013
Another year has past without any experimental test of climate change mitigation. The science hasn't caught up to the politician's promises for saving our planet from man made catastrophic global warming alarmism.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7484 Jan 1, 2013
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, otherwise you might have to admit that you are wrong and they are right. You cannot be wrong, even if you drive right off the cliff so the bridge out sign has to be a dumb lie.
Or another way to look at it is you are a denier, in denial about climate change, that humans in general have little power over the climate and you cannot stand the idea that you matter little in the world. You need to feel like you are doing something heroic even if the truth is that it will matter less than nothing and the future generations will look at you and laugh.
Well you started the New Year running. The good thing is that you haven't lost the ability to give the space out blues another spanking. Right or wrong by your statements you sure do spank the spaced out blues pretty good.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#7485 Jan 1, 2013
Nothing of interest here.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7486 Jan 1, 2013
Try offering something of real interest.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7487 Jan 1, 2013
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Well you started the New Year running. The good thing is that you haven't lost the ability to give the space out blues another spanking. Right or wrong by your statements you sure do spank the spaced out blues pretty good.
LOL.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7488 Jan 1, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.
Come on now you said I drove tina out of here. Admit it she spanked you this time. And A Happy New Year to You.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7489 Jan 1, 2013
The oil shale boom can be seen from space.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/us-sh...
PHD

Overton, TX

#7490 Jan 1, 2013
The hot air you spew can be seen from space.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7491 Jan 1, 2013
PHD wrote:
Show us the picture.

This is not, however:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#7492 Jan 1, 2013
phudd feces face wrote:
'phudd feces face' can be seen from space, showing the increasing uglification of Earth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Guru 181,710
im single black hndsome 43 min ligolyser 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 1 hr Silk 81
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr JOEL 70,988
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 8 hr Sublime1 19
Deat Abby 12-16 9 hr Mister Tonka 51
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web