Scientists say they have proved climate change is real, now mus...

Scientists studying the changing nature of the Earth's climate say they have completed one crucial task - proving beyond a doubt that global warming is real. Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7433 Dec 26, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Not defeatism; realism. There's never been an experimental test of climate change mitigation, that's how you can tell it's a hoax.
That makes no sense. By your logic, this Christian country has a higher crime rate than (largely) atheistic Sweden does because Christian morality is a hoax.

Okay, I see your point...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#7434 Dec 26, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
......this Christian country has a higher crime rate than (largely) atheistic Sweden does because Christian morality is a hoax.
Defining the Death of Christ on the Cross, by the ways of conduct of sinning people, in this case, euros & transplanted euros, explains your own decision NOT to be Christian.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7435 Dec 26, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Defining the Death of Christ on the Cross, by the ways of conduct of sinning people, in this case, euros & transplanted euros, explains your own decision NOT to be Christian.
My decision to be Christian or not is beside the point and it can be debated elsewhere. Since you missed it, my post was an analogy of the flawed and meaningless logic that Brian persists in reciting over and over.
The absence of "global warming mitigation" experimentation does not in any way indicate that global warming is a hoax..
PHD

Overton, TX

#7436 Dec 27, 2012
pinheadlitesout wrote:
<quoted text>
And your actions here do the same.See why your the commander "pinheadlitesout".

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7437 Dec 27, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
...The absence of "global warming mitigation" experimentation does not in any way indicate that global warming is a hoax..
You've changed my argument; climate change mitigation is a hoax and catastrophic man made global warming alarmism is pseudoscience.

Do you get it now?
LessFactMoreHype

Spain

#7438 Dec 28, 2012
FuGyou wrote:
Defeatism was the wrong attitude 70 years ago and it's the wrong attitude today.
Is that what your petty little life has come down to, Topix on Christmas day?

Pathetic.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7439 Dec 28, 2012
I discovered climate change this morning. At this time it is slightly cooler and humid than the previous day.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7440 Dec 28, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You've changed my argument; climate change mitigation is a hoax and catastrophic man made global warming alarmism is pseudoscience.
Do you get it now?
I've always understood what you were getting at. The absence of "climate change mitigation" either in theory, experimentation or practice has no relevance at all to whether climate change is a natural cycle or has been exacerbated by man made emissions.
Pseudoscience?
Isn't your argument "I don't believe it regardless of any evidence you present"? I was pointing out with my analogy that your "science" is merely misplaced faith in your own ideology.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7441 Dec 28, 2012
Science improves their tax dollar holdings.
Martix

Kraków, Poland

#7442 Dec 28, 2012
The coming Ice Age -- Global Warming ends and America freezes
PHD

Overton, TX

#7443 Dec 28, 2012
Tell that to the North East.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7444 Dec 28, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
I've always understood what you were getting at. The absence of "climate change mitigation" either in theory, experimentation or practice has no relevance at all to whether climate change is a natural cycle or has been exacerbated by man made emissions.
Pseudoscience?
Isn't your argument "I don't believe it regardless of any evidence you present"? I was pointing out with my analogy that your "science" is merely misplaced faith in your own ideology.
If you can show me one experimental test of climate change mitigation showing it won't cause more harm than good; I'll support it. Until then, we're talking about snake oil pseudoscience.

Science relies on the scientific method; testing theories. There's never been a test of climate change mitigation; that's how you can know it's a hoax.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7445 Dec 28, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>If you can show me one experimental test of climate change mitigation showing it won't cause more harm than good; I'll support it. Until then, we're talking about snake oil pseudoscience.
Science relies on the scientific method; testing theories. There's never been a test of climate change mitigation; that's how you can know it's a hoax.
Sure there is ask Einstein.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7446 Dec 28, 2012
PHD wrote:
Tell that to the North East.
Which witch is still left in the NE?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7447 Dec 28, 2012
Final remarks

There is unequivocal evidence that Earth’s lower atmosphere, ocean, and land surface are warming; sea level is rising; and snow cover, mountain glaciers, and Arctic sea ice are shrinking. The dominant cause of the warming since the 1950s is human activities. This scientific finding is based on a large and persuasive body of research. The observed warming will be irreversible for many years into the future, and even larger temperature increases will occur as greenhouse gases continue to accumulate in the atmosphere. Avoiding this future warming will require a large and rapid reduction in global greenhouse gas emissions. The ongoing warming will increase risks and stresses to human societies, economies, ecosystems, and wildlife through the 21st century and beyond, making it imperative that society respond to a changing climate. To inform decisions on adaptation and mitigation, it is critical that we improve our understanding of the global climate system and our ability to project future climate through continued and improved monitoring and research. This is especially true for smaller (seasonal and regional) scales and weather and climate extremes, and for important hydroclimatic variables such as precipitation and water availability.

Technological, economic, and policy choices in the near future will determine the extent of future impacts of climate change. Science-based decisions are seldom made in a context of absolute certainty. National and international policy discussions should include consideration of the best ways to both adapt to and mitigate climate change. Mitigation will reduce the amount of future climate change and the risk of impacts that are potentially large and dangerous. At the same time, some continued climate change is inevitable, and policy responses should include adaptation to climate change. Prudence dictates extreme care in accounting for our relationship with the only planet known to be capable of sustaining human life.

[This statement is considered in force until August 2017 unless superseded by a new statement issued by the AMS Council before this date.]

http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2012climatechan...
PHD

Overton, TX

#7448 Dec 28, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Which witch is still left in the NE?
You have all the answers do show all your work.
Martix

Kraków, Poland

#7449 Dec 28, 2012
Global warming stopped 16 years ago

Met Office quietly admits that there has been no discernible rise in aggregate global temperatures since the beginning of 1997, says this article in the Daily Mail.

“This means that the ‘plateau’ or ‘pause’ in global warming has now lasted for about the same time as the previous period when temperatures rose, 1980 to 1996. Before that, temperatures had been stable or declining for about 40 years.

“The new data, compiled from more than 3,000 measuring points on land and sea, was issued quietly on the internet, without any media fanfare, and, until today, it has not been reported.

“This stands in sharp contrast to the release of the previous figures six months ago, which went only to the end of 2010 – a very warm year.

“Ending the data then means it is possible to show a slight warming trend since 1997, but 2011 and the first eight months of 2012 were much cooler, and thus this trend is erased.

Some climate scientists, such as Professor Phil Jones (of Climategate fame), director of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, last week dismissed the significance of the plateau, saying that 15 or 16 years is too short a period from which to draw conclusions.

Others disagreed. Professor Judith Curry, who is the head of the climate science department at America’s prestigious Georgia Tech university, told The Mail on Sunday that it was clear that the computer models used to predict future warming were ‘deeply flawed’.

“The most depressing feature of this debate is that anyone who questions the alarmist, doomsday scenario will automatically be labelled a climate change ‘denier’, and accused of jeopardising the future of humanity,” says this excellent article by David Rose.

See entire article, including charts and photos:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl... –chart-prove-it.html
Martix

Kraków, Poland

#7450 Dec 28, 2012
Russian scientist to alarmists:'Sun heats Earth!'

CHICAGO – A new “Little Ice Age” could begin in just four years, predicted Habibullo Abdussamatov, the head of space research at St. Petersburg’s Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia.

Abdussamatov was speaking yesterday at the Heartland Institute‘s Fourth International Conference on Climate Change in Chicago, which began Sunday and ends today.

The Little Ice Age, which occurred after an era known in scientific circles as the Medieval Warm Period, is typically defined as a period of about 200 years, beginning around 1650 and extending through 1850.

Through 2014 the earth will go through a series of unstable variations in which global temperature will oscillate around the maximum reached in the years 1998-2005.

In 2003-2005, Abdussamatov predicted a reduction of sunspot activity that would reach a new minimum in 2042, resulting in a deep global temperature minimum in the years 2055-2060.

“The observed global warming of the climate of the Earth is not caused by the anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gasses, but by extraordinarily high solar intensity that extended over virtually the entire past century,” Abdussamatov wrote.“Future decrease in global temperature will occur even if anthropogenic ejection of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere rises to record levels.

“Over the past decade, global temperature on the Earth has not increased; global warming has ceased, and already there are signs of the future deep temperature drop.”

Abdussamatov concluded Earth is no longer threatened by the catastrophic global warming forecast by some scientists, since warming passed its peak in 1998-2005.

“The global temperature of the Earth has begun its decrease without limits on the volume of greenhouse gas emissions by industrial developed countries,” he wrote.“Therefore, the implementation of the Kyoto Protocol aimed to rescue the planet from the greenhouse effect should be put off at least 150 years.”

SOURCE:
http://www.wnd.com/2010/05/155225/
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#7451 Dec 28, 2012
I posted the AMS statement above. Then this clueless called Martix[sic] posts from the daily.ail (UK).

Sad affairs.
Martix

Kraków, Poland

#7452 Dec 28, 2012
Human emissions of fossil carbon into the atmosphere and the resulting increase in temperatures may be holding off the next ice age, according to research from Sweden’s University of Gothenburg.

“We are probably entering a new ice age right now,” Lars Franzen, a professor of physical geography at the university, was cited as saying in an online statement today.“However, we’re not noticing it due to the effects of carbon dioxide.”

Franzen and three other researchers calculated how much of Sweden might be covered by peat lands during an interglacial, the period between two ice ages. Peat absorbs carbon from the atmosphere, and the study found that the country’s carbon-sink potential could increase six- to 10-fold, which theoretically might cause a drop in temperatures.

Increased felling of woodlands and expansion of agricultural land, combined with early industrialization, probably halted the so-called Little Ice Age from the 16th to the 18th century, slowing down or even reversing a cooling trend, according to the researchers.

“It’s certainly possible that mankind’s various activities contributed towards extending our ice age interval by keeping carbon dioxide levels high enough,” Franzen said.“Without the human impact, the inevitable progression toward an ice age would have continued.”

The earth experienced at least 30 periods of ice age in the past 3 million years, according to the university. There were no emissions of fossil carbon in earlier interglacial periods, and carbon sequestration in peat lands may have been one of the main reasons why ice age conditions occurred, according to Franzen.

“The spread of peat lands is an important factor,” Franzen said.“If we accept that rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lead to an increase in global temperature, the logical conclusion must be that reduced levels lead to a drop in temperature.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-08/huma...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nuculur option 1,153,664
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 min Sublime1 98,842
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min loose cannon 181,785
Amy 12-19 42 min Mister Tonka 8
abby 12-19 47 min Sublime1 6
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr not a ghost 357
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Mandela 71,007
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:39 am PST

NBC Sports 3:39AM
Jimmy Clausen as surprised as anyone he's starting
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Why Do the Colts Still Insist on Feeding Trent Richardson?
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Dissecting Most Crucial Matchups in Chicago Bears' Week 16 Contest with Lions
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Updated Rankings for Sunday's Action
Bleacher Report 6:02 AM
The Coach That Could Turn Around Bears