Scientists say they have proved climate change is real, now mus...

Scientists studying the changing nature of the Earth's climate say they have completed one crucial task - proving beyond a doubt that global warming is real. Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#7270 Dec 5, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they do or ignore it. They also ignore the fact that the floating ice displaces the same amount of water as contained in the ice.
This is where I joined this discussion back in 2006.
Yada yada. Still trying to understand science through religion and politics, Tina? Maybe you should do a Google search on the Greenland ice sheet? Nah, I didn't think so. Never mind.
Don't you have that stack of Harlequin romances to read or something?
PHD

Overton, TX

#7271 Dec 5, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yada yada. Still trying to understand science through religion and politics, Tina? Maybe you should do a Google search on the Greenland ice sheet? Nah, I didn't think so. Never mind.
The Less than a Box of Rocks AKA "tina" can't read. It is a product of the one child left behind program.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#7272 Dec 5, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I did and discovered that when you do the actual math and discovered that if the entire ice sheet was to melt tomarrow that the oceans would only rise a few millimeters at most.

Maybe you should actually spend a little time doing the calculations instead of reading the tittlating propaganda that always seems to predict the end of the world is just around the corner.

Or read a few of those Harlequin romances, I bet you like some of the sex scenes.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7273 Dec 5, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I did and discovered that when you do the actual math and discovered that if the entire ice sheet was to melt tomarrow that the oceans would only rise a few millimeters at most.
Maybe you should actually spend a little time doing the calculations instead of reading the tittlating propaganda that always seems to predict the end of the world is just around the corner.
Or read a few of those Harlequin romances, I bet you like some of the sex scenes.
So why can't you answer that eight grade question. I bet there is someone else posting for you today.

Norfolk va

#7274 Dec 5, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So why can't you answer that eight grade question. I bet there is someone else posting for you today.
Which is saying that you are trying to understand science through your religion and politics instead of science and math.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7275 Dec 5, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is saying that you are trying to understand science through your religion and politics instead of science and math.
Your such a dumbASS of your---self.You do have an issue with the understanding of the english language.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7276 Dec 6, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Some estimate that the melting of the Greenland ice sheet could raise sea levels as much as 6 to 7 meters - or perhaps you'd prefer to say ONLY 6,000 to 7,000 millimeters. As well, unless your calculations come from FOX news pundits or Discovery Institute young Earthers one has to consider that the melting of that one ice sheet is not be the only land mass on the globe where ancient ice is melting.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7277 Dec 6, 2012
Mr. Muller
Global warming is real. Perhaps our results will help cool this portion of the climate debate. How much of the warming is due to humans and what will be the likely effects? We made no independent assessment of that.

See the experts don't know
Spitemyface

Villa Park, IL

#7278 Dec 6, 2012
Podd Talin wrote:
"Scientists say they have proved climate change is real".
Obama hasn't even taken office yet and already the environment is suffering the negative effects. I wonder how much worse things will get under Obama's regime? Can our fragile world survive four years of this man's leadership?
Ooohh, I just don't know, I am so afraid of the future, Oh the humanity! Stay afraid my friend, stay afraid....
Spitemyface

Villa Park, IL

#7279 Dec 6, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you care to post the equation? Considering you did the "math" and all....
Spitemyface

Villa Park, IL

#7280 Dec 6, 2012
Og duh Russkie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes do-gooder "Global Warming" people forget that ice shrinks when it melts.
It doesn't shrink professor, it's mass remains constant. Now take that mass, now a liquid, and pour it into another container already containing liquid and guess what, it's level rises. Ta-daaa, MAGIC! BTW, I believe I learned that in Jr. High science.
PHD

Overton, TX

#7281 Dec 6, 2012
Spitemyface wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you care to post the equation? Considering you did the "math" and all....
You are requiring an empty chair that is Less than s Box of Rocks AKA "tina"to answer a first grade question. It thinks that having a bowel movement counts as a biology class.
Genius

Tampa, FL

#7282 Dec 6, 2012
The earth is FLAT!
dummy

Tampa, FL

#7283 Dec 6, 2012
i agree

Since: Aug 08

Lynnwood, WA

#7284 Dec 6, 2012
Blast from the Past:
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
truthist wrote:

For singing till his heaven fills, 65
’T is love of earth that he instils,
And ever winging up and up,
Our valley is his golden cup,
And he the wine which overflows
To lift us with him as he goes: 70
The woods and brooks, the sheep and kine
He is, the hills, the human line,
The meadows green, the fallows brown,
The dreams of labor in the town;
He sings the sap, the quicken’d veins; 75
The wedding song of sun and rains
He is, the dance of children, thanks
Of sowers, shout of primrose-banks,
And eye of violets while they breathe;
All these the circling song will wreathe,
And you shall hear the herb and tree,
The better heart of men shall see,
Shall feel celestially, as long
As you crave nothing save the song

From The Lark Ascending by George Meredith (1828–1909)
http://www.bartleby.com/246/680.html
//////////
litesong wrote:
Did not know this poem as I began reading it. As I continued reading, I began thinking of Ralph Vaughn Williams' Romance for violin & orchestra,'The Lark Ascending'. & lo, completing the read, the title & author struck me in the eyes! Do you know if RVW was inspired to write his music by the poem?
//////////
truthist wrote:
Could have??? I chose it for the music. You felt the music in the words. A complete circle. Isn't this beautiful?

Thanks for sharing your ideas :)
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
Update:
litesong continues:
Failed to tell truthist how much RVW music means to me, & in particular the Lark Ascending.
Some areas around the Salish Sea & Puget Sound must be a bit similar to England. Traveling in the Salish Sea river bottomlands, I often listen to the RVW symphonies, concertos & tone poems, as well as the Lark Ascending. Pretend to walk with RVW, for he was a long distance walker & hiker, often moving from one township to another, to pick up country melodies from people he met, that he might transform into a symphonic interlude.

In the Pacific Northwest, we have the western Meadowlark, similar to the eastern Meadowlark, but with an exquisitely present, three dimensional, yet plaintive, short-phrased, but endearing trill of notes. Walking the fields in the vicinity of Meadowlarks, I often risk getting closer to them, to hear their clear song, evermore clearer. Hiding easily in the tall grasses, the Meadowlarks never-the-less flush with little cause, not letting me get very near, at all. Bursting from the grasses, they rise quickly on hundreds of blurring wings. Unlike the violin melody tho, they do not rise to the high sky, but clear my head by five or six body lengths & whisk away to other parts of the green grassy fields.
But imagining the violin music, I also imagine one Meadowlark, striking out for the high sky. Rising out of the lowlands, above short & tall trees alike, leveling & circling like the melodies, alternately wistful & thrumming energies. The music paints circling views of river, hill, dale & even unEnglish-like mountains in the background. Then upward once again...... rising..... rising above hill & hills more than hills.... always rising to match the heights of those more distant mountains & the music.... up, up & tiny, so tiny. With the last fading strains of music in the highest register of strings, the Meadowlark....... disappears from sight.... so very very high.
//////////
\\\\\\\\\\
Listen to the Lark Ascending, clear tones that define the word soaring, & elegance & bursting life.
Spitemyface

Villa Park, IL

#7286 Dec 7, 2012
Genius wrote:
The earth is FLAT!
Of course! Who in their right mind would think it's spherical!?!?=-)
PHD

Overton, TX

#7287 Dec 7, 2012
In the land of oz

Norfolk va

#7288 Dec 8, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some estimate that the melting of the Greenland ice sheet could raise sea levels as much as 6 to 7 meters - or perhaps you'd prefer to say ONLY 6,000 to 7,000 millimeters. As well, unless your calculations come from FOX news pundits or Discovery Institute young Earthers one has to consider that the melting of that one ice sheet is not be the only land mass on the globe where ancient ice is melting.
And yet when you do the math yourself you will discover that those estimates were way off. While the amount of ice seems to be massive, yet when you compare it to the volume of the world's oceans you will notice it isn't nothing but a drop in the bucket. That the amount of water trapped in the Greenland Ice Sheet isn't enough to cause the rise that some estimate.

Oh, remember when doing your calculations that when water freezes it expands. Which means that the volume of ice in Greenland will equal less water. I even included a few links to help you get started. Of course your numbers might be a little off if you don't include shore line gradient so I included that link as well.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...

http://bprc.osu.edu/wiki/Greenland_Factsheet

http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/people/faculty/M...

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/SyedQadri...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#7289 Dec 8, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet when you do the math yourself you will discover that those estimates were way off. While the amount of ice seems to be massive, yet when you compare it to the volume of the world's oceans you will notice it isn't nothing but a drop in the bucket. That the amount of water trapped in the Greenland Ice Sheet isn't enough to cause the rise that some estimate.
Oh, remember when doing your calculations that when water freezes it expands. Which means that the volume of ice in Greenland will equal less water. I even included a few links to help you get started. Of course your numbers might be a little off if you don't include shore line gradient so I included that link as well.
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...
http://www.nicholas.duke.edu/people/faculty/M...
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/SyedQadri...
The volume of ice on land versus the mass of melt water in the oceans? If you want to continue with this line of argument, we can also discuss how the volume of water increases with temperature, and how ocean currents are also affected by water temperature and density.
Back to the question of the Greenland ice sheet and sea level rise. I direct you to YOUR OWN LINK.

"The ice sheet would add between 6 and 7.4 meters to the global sea level"

Norfolk va

#7290 Dec 8, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The volume of ice on land versus the mass of melt water in the oceans? If you want to continue with this line of argument, we can also discuss how the volume of water increases with temperature, and how ocean currents are also affected by water temperature and density.
Back to the question of the Greenland ice sheet and sea level rise. I direct you to YOUR OWN LINK.
"The ice sheet would add between 6 and 7.4 meters to the global sea level"
And you didn't do the math yourself. Could it be that you are afraid that when you do you will discover that the estimate on that fact sheet isn't a fact but fiction. Or did you run the numbers and discover that the truth is that the rise is less than a couple of millimeters.

Time to try thinking for yourself instead of getting thoughts that support your beliefs. Find out the truth for yourself by doing the math yourself. Also notice after many of those estimate were discovered to be wrong that they had to trot out thermal expansion which fell flat when math proved that for the amount of heat needed the land would all be barren with every creature on the land well cooked.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Morse 1,141,335
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Morse 180,597
1 in 3 Chicagoans living paycheck-to-paycheck 23 min CUU 5
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min Who 48,363
abby 11-21 2 hr Shari23 6
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr Wolverine33 692
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMerde 51,234
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr author author 98,673
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Predictions for Bears' Week 12 Matchup
NBC Sports 7:46 AM
Jay Cutler wants to keep on rolling (out)
NBC Sports11:16 AM
Colts rule out Dwayne Allen and Gosder Cherilus
NBC Sports12:50 PM
Rob Gronkowski fined $8,268 for bouncer move
NFL 1:30 PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says