Bill seeks lower cost of college

Bill seeks lower cost of college

There are 19 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 1, 2008, titled Bill seeks lower cost of college. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Thirteen thousand dollars. That's the average cost of a year of college for in-state students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

oneblanksapce

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jul 2, 2008
According to the Constitution, Article IV, Section 2, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." It seems to me that in-state tuition is a Privilege. Isn't out-of-state tuition, therefore, unconstitutional (at least for State schools)?
are they serious

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 2, 2008
What difference will this make at all?

NONE
kmv

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 2, 2008
This is just an attention diversion because they can't fix the oil crisis.

Can't congress do some real work for a change!
Greg

Pleasanton, CA

#4 Jul 2, 2008
oneblanksapce wrote:
According to the Constitution, Article IV, Section 2, "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." It seems to me that in-state tuition is a Privilege. Isn't out-of-state tuition, therefore, unconstitutional (at least for State schools)?
No, because the in-state taxpayers are paying the difference whether or not they or their children are attending the schools.

Since: Jun 08

Oshkosh, WI

#5 Jul 2, 2008
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
No, because the in-state taxpayers are paying the difference whether or not they or their children are attending the schools.
very true, college is becoming too expensive for the smart kids so only the rich kids will be able to go to college after too long. It's turning into a glorified prep school.
Thomas

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Jul 2, 2008
Colleges and Universities are so out of touch with reality. Every year tuition is going up 3,4,5 times the rate inflation. Schools cry they have no money but some how build million dollar sports stadiums. Then they fight tooth and nail against online degree programs.

In 4 years of college I had maybe 6 classes that were actually applicable to getting and keeping a job.

Its time these universities joined the 21st century.
Florida Jim

Clermont, FL

#7 Jul 2, 2008
It is obvious to anyone who understands costs that college is one place that costs are never reviewed. Here are a few to start with:
Professors must actually teach class, not grad students
Books should not be changed annually
Books used in class should not have been written by the professor
Fire 1/2 of the adminstrators
Demand profs teach both sides of every issue
Demand dissenting opinions in class and on campus
cut profs, coaches, salaries by demanding them to be between $100,000-$200,000 per year
eliminate all paid travel by profs, admin, etc.
reduce every cost in every area by at least 20%
when these are completed please call.
etf1001

United States

#8 Jul 2, 2008
are they serious wrote:
What difference will this make at all?
NONE
YOU ARE RIGHT!! Cause until someone takes a stand on the federal government student loan process - you are still going to be screwed. I can pay my car note of $25,000 in five years, but it take me 10 years to pay off the same amount of my student loan - when is some one going to complain about the abuse of the student loan program???
politwriter

Arlington Heights, IL

#9 Jul 2, 2008
Impose a windfall profits tax on the very same lefty academics who advocate the same for the oil industry.

And why are illegal aliens getting subsidized in-state tuition rates in Illinois?
kmv

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 2, 2008
Well said!
Florida Jim wrote:
It is obvious to anyone who understands costs that college is one place that costs are never reviewed. Here are a few to start with:
Professors must actually teach class, not grad students
Books should not be changed annually
Books used in class should not have been written by the professor
Fire 1/2 of the adminstrators
cut profs, coaches, salaries by demanding them to be between $100,000-$200,000 per year
eliminate all paid travel by profs, admin, etc.
reduce every cost in every area by at least 20%
when these are completed please call.
kmv

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 2, 2008
You are correct. Newt Gingridge did a show on this topic about a year ago and it was an eye opener.

Universities don't even use their endowments to help lower tuition, they have invested it and have made millions which they don't have to pay taxes. They same is said for property taxes which they are exempt.

Also, most colleges now are very liberal and if students don't agree with their one sided view they get punished.

As for illegals getting in-state tuition rates - that's because IL (Chicago is a sanctuary city. I find it appalling that Americans can not get in-state tuition for which ever public college they go to. There are enough american people that can use in-state tuition but are charged thousands more. But again, they also get free healthcare where ever they go but Americans have to show proof that they can pay. I say take the money that they give illegals for instate and help the low/middle class that can't afford to go to college.

I also agree with the other poster about books, it's the biggest ripoff there is. Half the time the kids don't even use the books.
politwriter wrote:
Impose a windfall profits tax on the very same lefty academics who advocate the same for the oil industry.
And why are illegal aliens getting subsidized in-state tuition rates in Illinois?
Meg

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 2, 2008
etf1001 wrote:
<quoted text>I can pay my car note of $25,000 in five years, but it take me 10 years to pay off the same amount of my student loan - when is some one going to complain about the abuse of the student loan program???
Um - you might want to check with your loan holder, but I know my Federal Subsidized loans do not have a penalty for early repayment. When I consolidated years ago, they tried to get me to do a 20 yr loan and I just said 'no, I've been paying for a year, I want a 9 year payback." Of course they were shocked, "but that doesn't lower your payment much" - yeah maybe not, but overall is sure as heck did. At any point along the way I've been able to send in an extra payment to shorten my repayment time. Never any problems. Look into your loan agreement or call and ask.

Since: Oct 07

Clay, NY

#13 Jul 2, 2008
This is a bill that has to get passed imo.

It is not as important as fixing oil right now, but we do need to lower cost of tuition.

Not even 10% can say "college students today are getting their money's worth."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/102296...
Lost in Translation

United States

#14 Jul 2, 2008
etf1001 wrote:
when is some one going to complain about the abuse of the student loan program???
This is a legitimate issue that affects many of us, but isnít being discussed on the national stage. Instead too many of us are distracted by whether or not a presidential candidate wears a flag pin on his lapel, or whether a presidential candidate sought the endorsement of a controversial pastor or just accepted it.

Student loan debt eats 13% of my annual income. Thatís income that could be saved for retirement or otherwise invested. Student loan debt is an everyday issue for many. Why then are we assaulted with news about fist bumps, flag pins, etcÖ?
Chaos

Buffalo Grove, IL

#15 Jul 2, 2008
"Now Congress is trying to take the mystery out of the forever rising costs of higher education by mandating that colleges provide students and their parents more information about how much the average student pays for school, what kind of tuition help they might be able to secure and which universities offer the best bang for the buck."

Yeah, GOD FORBID they do the research on their own. I guess picking up a Princeton Review is a bit too much work to ask of these "college-bound scholars."

Man, when they say we are dumbing down and babying the current generation of kids, they aren't kidding. We don't even expect them to do their own research anymore...just have the government set standards so it's all set out on a silver platter for these lazy sloths and their even-lazier parents.

As for the costs of private schools: I don't care. People CHOOSE to go to those schools (heck, they even choose among state schools), and like anyone else, believe it or not, there is a cost associated with some choices (even if the government doesn't tell you that).

One thing is for sure: we are training these kids well to be lazy, dependent, compliant losers who want everything handed to them.

I did the research to go to an affordable in-state university, secure my OWN financial aid, get a job while I was at school, and two when I was home from school, and I make all my student loan payments on time.

I guess "responsibility" is something parents failed to teach this coming generation.

How about this: if you can't do this basic research for yourself, perhaps it's a good indication that you're not college material.
Shawn Cohen

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 2, 2008
The government still doesn't get it. Even at $13k a year, college is still out of reach for a lot of students. This is why people from across the country are choosing alternative methods to higher ed like distance learning. Check out www.collegeplus.org to get the real low down on higher ed!
DCL

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 2, 2008
Meg wrote:
<quoted text>
Um - you might want to check with your loan holder, but I know my Federal Subsidized loans do not have a penalty for early repayment. When I consolidated years ago, they tried to get me to do a 20 yr loan and I just said 'no, I've been paying for a year, I want a 9 year payback." Of course they were shocked, "but that doesn't lower your payment much" - yeah maybe not, but overall is sure as heck did. At any point along the way I've been able to send in an extra payment to shorten my repayment time. Never any problems. Look into your loan agreement or call and ask.
I'm also on a consolidated loan, with no early-repayment penalties. I send in payments so large over the usual monthly amount due, that the company often sends me statements with $0.00 due. I still pay the same amount as normal, however. I would like to retire this loan as fast as I can (though still not nearly quick enough), as I'm not interested in my balance tacking on any more interest cost than it already has and will.

And I could be wrong here, but the "time-period" loans seem mainly about the revenue generated from interest buildup.
Chaos

Buffalo Grove, IL

#18 Jul 2, 2008
Florida Jim wrote:
Demand? You don't sound very American; you sound like a dictator.

How can you "demand" something that doesn't exist? If there is no "dissenting" opinion among the students, you just "demand" that they debate for the sake of presenting "dissent" no matter how illogical or stupid it is?

You sound like someone who advocates dumbing down the curriculum and discourse in universities to fit an agenda. I can assure you that there is a good amount of debate on college campuses, and a good amount of dissenting opinion. It is just that conservative opinions in an academic atmosphere are above the discourse of your average wage slave "conservative" who in reality are just people who have been conned into having their "faith" exploited so they vote against their own self interests. Most "conservative" issues are not worthy of academic debate (as opposed to real conservative issues, which are above the understanding of your average "conservative").

I love the hypocrisy that you probably think you "support freedom," but clearly state that you do not by "demanding" that certain things be taught. Have you been in a college classroom since the advent of the Internet? Your comments are really out-of-touch with today's campus society.
D Koch

San Antonio, TX

#19 Jul 3, 2008
I happened to see a news announcement that UCLA just resigned one of their coaches to a multi year contract that approaches $2 million per year. That much money would go a long way towards subsidizing tuition for students. I know...the network and broadcasting revenue from big D1 teams supports schools overall budgets but I would suggest that these kinds of contracts and pay packages for coaches are over the top.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min mdbuilder 1,814,627
omarosa lowlife 52 min God Damned Holy S... 12
News Chicago protesters: We'll shut down rush hour t... 1 hr spud 19
Chicago is the worst of the worst. 1 hr Right Down The St... 2
News Bloody Weekend: 10 Dead, 53 Wounded in Shooting... 17 hr Jeff Davis 4
Larry W. Crumb Sat nonsense 2
RHAM is not RESPONSIBLE for CHICAGO CRIME Sat Jeff Davis 17

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages