What makes Don Rickles laugh?

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Mr. Warmth was starting to feel awfully warm. "I've been talking to you for what, 15 minutes? And you're completely annoying and I don't want you to call me again.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated May 21, 2009

“Thank you, come again!”

Since: Dec 07

Chi Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Don Rickles is a hilarious and classy guy. Definitely a living legend.
andy

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

who is don rickles? I've never heard of this person. is he from the 1950's or before then.

I'll ask my dad if hes ever heard of him or I may google that name to learn some history.

thanks

Andy
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

andy wrote:
who is don rickles? I've never heard of this person. is he from the 1950's or before then.
I'll ask my dad if hes ever heard of him or I may google that name to learn some history.
thanks
Andy
You are a hockey puck.
jeffs

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Don Rickles punched me in the Chest once.
I was rounding the corner and this guy punches me down to the ground , knocking the wind out of me.
I WAS LIKE 'DON RICKLES'... and he goes
'oh sorry kid I thought you were someone else'.
TRU story
Big Brother

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

funny guy who EVERYBODY should know.

Jonathan Winters and Rich Little were good too from his era.
D Chicago

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

I'm a big fan. He's always hilarious.

blk

Since: Apr 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

One of the funniest men I've ever seen!!
Craig

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

A living legend, last of an era. One of the funniest men I've ever seen. Alot of today's comics could learn a thing or two from him.
Jeff

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Rickles' recording of "Hello, Dummy" was the funniest comedy album I ever heard. I can almost recite part of that precious rant from memory and still laugh about it.

“Thank you, come again!”

Since: Dec 07

Chi Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

jeffs wrote:
Don Rickles punched me in the Chest once.
I was rounding the corner and this guy punches me down to the ground , knocking the wind out of me.
I WAS LIKE 'DON RICKLES'... and he goes
'oh sorry kid I thought you were someone else'.
TRU story
Coming to America...also classic
Chairman

Mundelein, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

andy wrote:
thanks
Andy
Stop watching "The Hills" and Britney Spears videos and read the story you Generation Y idiot!!
Rickles Old Days

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Funny story about Rickles in "Run Silent, Run Deep", where he played a sailor on a sub. Him and actor Jack Warden wanted to shock Clark Gable with a gag. They went Gable's trailor, jumped into bed together with their shirts off. Gable walks into the trailor, sees them holding each other, Gable turns around and starts telling everyone on the set that Rickles and Warden are gay.

And who can forget Rickles character, "Crapgame", in "Kelly's Heroes"? One part, he tells Eastwood that he is going with them to get his share of the gold. Rickles told them Switzerland was only so many miles away, and he didn't want anyone to get lost. In another part of the movie, Rickles is bleeding in the ruins from a tank blast, and he asked Telly Salavas how is it going of getting into the bank to steal the gold from the Germans.
some guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Watching Rickles start to launch into Ed McMahon with Johnny turning beet red trying to suppress his laughter was as good as late-night TV has ever been.
sowhat

Northbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

I liked when Jay Leno was able to top Rickles a couple of weeks ago.

When younger, I wondered how he could get away with insulting everyone, but now understand the act.

And, Andy, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has given homage to Rickles. But you probably are too young to stay up for Triumph, either.
Rickles Old Days

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Thought of another funny time. Rickles, Dean Martin and I believe Joey Bishop was on Johnny Carson show. Rickles is making the audinece laugh with his remarks. They were all sitting down by Carson, and Rickles is making all these insulting remarks about people he knew. Then suddenly, Rickles said, "there is a black guy up ther laughing, who told him to laugh?", and Carson said "where?" Rickles points up to the audience. Rickles then says "lets get him!". All three guests and Carson got up and went into the audience to meet the black guy. And the black guy came down the steps laughing himself to meet them. It was so funny, but today people would think it would be racists. It was all in good fun. Johnny Carson did give the man and his family dinner for four at some local restaurant. Rickles would pick on all people, but God help you if you are Polish or a Jew if he asked something about you in his act.

But Rickles got shock of his life when Carson interupted Rickles tv show when Carson told Rickles he broke his cigeratte case the night before when he hosted his show. Another classic moment on tv.
Craig

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Rickles Old Days wrote:
It was so funny, but today people would think it would be racists. It was all in good fun.
You make a valid point. But Rickles made that joke work in that time. I think it was the mid-70's when that show to which you refer first aired. The stigma of black oppression was still fresh. The joke wouldn't work today. A variation of it, sure.
Agreed

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Craig wrote:
A living legend, last of an era. One of the funniest men I've ever seen. Alot of today's comics could learn a thing or two from him.
Yes. And one of the best things they could learn from him is that you don't have to resort to swearing to get laughs.
Rickles has intelligence and he doesn't need to lower his standards to get a laugh.
TMZ

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Don Rickles is nothing but a low-life racist bigot. Its no wonder HollyWEIRD honors him so much.

Its disgusting to see all these TV talk show hosts pander to him.

Don Rickles makes a couple token jokes about Jews which then makes him feel he has the right to bash Blacks and other ethnic groups.

On Jay Leno recently they had to bleep out some of the racist jokes he made about blacks.

He also has a hatred for Catholics and never misses a chance to bash Italians, Irish, and Polish people.

He would never say about Jews the racist things he says about other groups.

He is nothing but a low-life bigot that the leftist Hollywood idiots hatched in the 70's.

One of the biggest LIES Rickles says is that he "doesn't mean anything" by his "jokes" and that "he is not mean spirited".

Don Rickles is nothing but a Hollywood/TV Merchant of Hate-through-Humor.
TMZ

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

This low-life Don Rickles has also made fun of mentally handicapped kids. They had to bleep those remarks on the some of the recent TV shows he's been on.

Don Rickles is a sicko idiot.

Don Rickles is just a throw back 1970's Hollywood Merchant of Hate-Through-Humor.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 24 min THE DEVIL 1,085,043
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 32 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,468
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 34 min bosshog 3,854
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 39 min truthrconsequences 49,034
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 58 min nono 6,594
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Chicagobunny 1,882
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 175,270
Ask Amy 8-1-14 8 hr Shari23 19
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE