Daley gun bill goes down

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Despite a series of shooting deaths of Chicago public school students, a key piece of Mayor Richard Daley 's gun package failed Wednesday in a House largely influenced by pro-gun lawmakers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 112 Comments Last updated May 6, 2008
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ken in Aurora

Edwardsville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

*Right now* it can be very difficult to find a licensed dealer willing to do a transfer on an out-of-state purchase. What was proposed would have killed off many if not most person-to-person sales. Besides, isn't this why we have FOIDs in this state?

A viable bill would have instead simply required a no-cost call to the existing instant check system by the private seller to confirm the validity of the purchaser's FOID.

This bill was nothing more than an incremental step toward a total ban. "Common sense gun law" my foot.
George

Winfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Lets ban guns and create a whole new industry just like the one in illegal drugs. Do you honestly believe that more laws will prevent criminals from obtaining guns?
rosco

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Why do so many people worship their guns? Its sad that the Cook County court system doesn't punish persons caught with illegal weapons. What should have been a felony is just downgraded to a misdemeanor. Start slamming these criminals, a felon with a gun should be charged with a felony.
Walker

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Daley, you just don't get it, do you? Apparently your father must have thrown you against the wall one too many times when you were a slobbering brat. IF you spent all your energy going after the gang bangers and drug dealers the way you go after gun control, then you WOUDLDN'T need to have gun control. But you won't go after them, will you. And why not Richie? Is it possible you have a vested interest in their activities?

But you've got your head so far up your a**, you think the stench and crap is part of everyday life.

Now, let's hear you open you mouth and try to say something intelligent for once in your life.
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

I was visiting friends in a small town in Colorado that has the "make my day" law. Crime is almost non existant. The cops are busy visiting bars enforcing the smoking ban or writing tickets for dirty license plates on muddy roads just to have something to do LOL.
non

Dixon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

The language of this story is telling and illustrative.
Over and over again, we read of "Mayor Richard Daley's Gun Package", his desires, and his thoughts about what laws the STATE needs to pass.

He is a M-A-Y-O-R; a leader of a LOCAL governmental unit. If he wants to 'push' for 'his' package of legislation maybe he should run for a statewide office--maybe HE should be governor.

Failing that, maybe he can just run his own fiefdom ,quit tying to push his tired old agenda on the rest of us here in Illinois who are NOT peasants bound to him as their lord, and lay off.
dmm

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Chalk one up for the good guys. That bill had nothing to do with crime in Chigago streets. If you want to decrease crime look to the just released stats over the last 6 years of concealed carry laws in Michigan. They fixed their problem and we could to if we are open enough to learn from the other 48 states that allow some form of concealed carry. Otherwise the bad guys will stay here where its safe for them.
Sue

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

I do not love my gun, but I sure as hell like having my gun. It's registered, I have a FOID card, and having my gun has gotten me out of a potential mugging or worse. Sigh--if only Illinois had conceal and carry.
Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Glad to see this new gun law went down to defeat.

The question I have for all you anti-gun folks is simple....

What new law would keep these school kids or others from being shot? There are already dozens and dozens of laws on the books to keep guns out of the hands of minors, out of the hands of felons, out of the hands of mentally impaired, out of school zones, and on and on. Not to mention shooting someone is against several laws. So what new law would be the magic bullet (if you will pardon the expression) and stop the shootings???????
Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

rosco wrote:
Why do so many people worship their guns? Its sad that the Cook County court system doesn't punish persons caught with illegal weapons. What should have been a felony is just downgraded to a misdemeanor. Start slamming these criminals, a felon with a gun should be charged with a felony.
Can't say I have seen anyone who 'worships' his gun. A gun is a tool, plain and simple. It is the tool-user's responsibility to use the tool properly.

I happen to live in the country. Police aren't going to get to my house quickly in the event of a break in. So I have a gun to protect my wife and children. In addition, we do get rabid animals. I have twice put-down rabid/sick (wild) animals in the last 5 years. Can't say that I have enjoyed doing it, but it needs to be done. Better with a gun than with, say, a shovel.

I do happen to agree with your assessment of what should be done to folks using a gun to commit a crime. Automatic felony, maybe even extra time tacked on to the sentence. You will find that most legal gun owners would not disagree with you at all. Use of a gun to commit a crime should mean automatic prison time, with no chance of negotiating it down from a felony to a lesser charge.

But worship guns? Nope... no more than I would worship a lawnmower. Tools -- nothing more or less.
Jay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Once again it needs to be said. These hood rats are not going about acquiring firearms legally, so what did his bill hope to accomplish?! That's right, by making it a first step in his campaign for a total gun ban and making the entire state a bunch of sheep. Concealed carry would make these punks think twice about who they're gonna jump next, 48 states already agree...
Curt in Homer Illinois

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Sue wrote:
I do not love my gun, but I sure as hell like having my gun. It's registered, I have a FOID card, and having my gun has gotten me out of a potential mugging or worse. Sigh--if only Illinois had conceal and carry.
Good for you Sue!

By the way -- if I were a woman, I wouldn't worry to much about teh lack of concealed carry. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Rick

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

I think that with respect to being armed, we should let the criminals make the first move.
fed up

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

daley has failed to do his job fighting crime in in chicago, why the hell is telling the rest of the state what to do. you need to clean up your own mess first dick.
Tracy E Fulford

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

The people who are the cause of the shotting on the streets (GUN RUNNERS) dont do back ground check anyway. So this was a useless bill. The mayor should order his police force to target the gunner runners.
Nytmayr

Elkhart Lake, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Just two quotes from REAL Constitutional experts for all to consider, and these sum it all up.
“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”(Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764)
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)
If you are interested in what The Founding Fathers said about guns and gun control go here and do some reading of your own:
http://www.madisonbrigade.com/index.htm
Larry

Macomb, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

The problem with gun laws is the fact that the only ones that obey are the law-abiding citizens. Law-abiding citizens are not the problem-the criminals are. Give lawabiding citizens the right to conceal carry and the crime problem will be less.
Tracy E Fulford

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Walker wrote:
Daley, you just don't get it, do you? Apparently your father must have thrown you against the wall one too many times when you were a slobbering brat. IF you spent all your energy going after the gang bangers and drug dealers the way you go after gun control, then you WOUDLDN'T need to have gun control. But you won't go after them, will you. And why not Richie? Is it possible you have a vested interest in their activities?
But you've got your head so far up your a**, you think the stench and crap is part of everyday life.
Now, let's hear you open you mouth and try to say something intelligent for once in your life.
Yes he does have a vested interest, so does Jesse Jackson. What was once housing projects are now upscale home for 500K and up. Who did the planning (Daley) who got paid to shut up (Jackson).
Tracy E Fulford

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

Judged:

Sue wrote:
Please tell Mayor Daley, I dont love my guns Beretta and Glock, I love my son. Who is a 15 year old African American male. For some reason young African American males keep going killed on the street of Chicago, but not in Indiana.(Indiana has a conceal carry. Where a concealed carry holder is more likely to save my sons life)
Enough Already

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2008

How about adding this to exsisting law: Felon caught with a firearm 10 years NO parole. Felon caught with a firearm in the commision of a crime 25 years NO parole. I know this will never stop crime but at least these thugs will be off the streets for a long time. Build more prisons if needed, all these democratic brain dead social programs do not seem to be doing anything but enriching politically connected campaign contributors. Can anybody give any statistics on any social program that actually works ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••