|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Plus there's the whole future favor just hanging over my head thing. <shrug>
That's just foreign to me. I don't see getting a favor from someone as tying an obligation to me considering I am usually fine with doing someone a favor without having an obligation to.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just foreign to me. I don't see getting a favor from someone as tying an obligation to me considering I am usually fine with doing someone a favor without having an obligation to.
See that's the thing. I don't mind doing favors. I do a lot of them. I don't expect anything back for being a nice person. Other people don't see things that way.

I just don't like the idea that *I* "owe" someone a favor because they did one for me. It's like, ok someone does me a favor then they need one at some future date and I can't/don't want to do them that particular favor at that time and they are all like "but I did x, y, and/or z for you so you owe me." Just don't want to be in that situation.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

I have a friend like that, Mimi. She doesn't want to owe anybody anything. Good luck trying to buy her a drink or dinner.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

How about this, Mimi: how are you at accepting offers of repayment, as in, "You've done so much for me in the last year, Mimi, and I have this great new job. Let me take you out for a nice dinner as thanks fore verything you've done for me?"

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
How about this, Mimi: how are you at accepting offers of repayment, as in, "You've done so much for me in the last year, Mimi, and I have this great new job. Let me take you out for a nice dinner as thanks fore verything you've done for me?"
I can do that. I still feel uncomfortable, but it's not a favor, and I understand the need for other people to feel like it's not all one sided; like they can do stuff for others too.

It's basically the "favor" thing I have problems with. I can pinpoint all the emotional/psychological things inside me that cause me to be this way, but really, you guys don't want to know all of that carp. <shrug>

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
See that's the thing. I don't mind doing favors. I do a lot of them. I don't expect anything back for being a nice person. Other people don't see things that way.
I just don't like the idea that *I* "owe" someone a favor because they did one for me. It's like, ok someone does me a favor then they need one at some future date and I can't/don't want to do them that particular favor at that time and they are all like "but I did x, y, and/or z for you so you owe me." Just don't want to be in that situation.
IMO, that's a crappy "friend" who would put you on the spot like that. With real friends, it happens organically and at the end of the day, everyone's ledgers are equal, so to speak.

And I totally agree with you about doing nice things for people just for the sake of doing nice things. If there's an ulterior motive or an expectation for something in return, one should examine their own heart....

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, that's a crappy "friend" who would put you on the spot like that.
I agree. I've experienced too many of these people over the years which probably explains my misanthropy. <shrug>

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

No, its the internet. Real is that place thats on the other side of the window.
Really wrote:
Is this real?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago