VIDEO: NYPD cop disciplined for bodyc...

VIDEO: NYPD cop disciplined for bodychecking biker

There are 143 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 28, 2008, titled VIDEO: NYPD cop disciplined for bodychecking biker. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A rookie cop faces almost certain dismissal after he was caught on video sending a bicyclist sprawling with a vicious and seemingly unprovoked shoulder check, police sources said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Chicago

Chicago, IL

#100 Jul 29, 2008
Winterbiker wrote:
<quoted text>
The cops also said (per the court record) that this cyclist attacked this cop. How do you know which lie to believe?
Personally, I'd love to know what happened before the Officer knocked the cyclist over? That cyclist did something beforehand that isn't shown on the camera. Of all the hundreds, if not thousands of cyclists, why did the Officer pick that one particular cyclist? He didn't just randomly pick one. That guy did something.

Winterbiker

Springfield, IL

#101 Jul 29, 2008
Chicago wrote:
<quoted text> ... That cyclist did something beforehand that isn't shown on the camera. Of all the hundreds, if not thousands of cyclists, why did the Officer pick that one particular cyclist? He didn't just randomly pick one. That guy did something.
You're assuming, and can't possibly know that.
What we DO know (from the article and court record) is that NYPD charged the biker with assaulting the officer, and resisting arrest -- things that the biker (per video, witness statements, and NYPD's own admission) clearly did NOT do.

Who Cares

Bartlett, IL

#102 Jul 29, 2008
Typical Tribune coverage. A story of no interest to Chicagoans is printed. Why? Because it makes police look bad.

Meanwhile, a man was given 500 years for the brutal rape of a young woman who attended Columbia University and there is no coverage. Why? Is it because of the race of the perpetrator.

One can only wonder.

Stop beating up on the police. This story is of no interest to anyone in Chicago.
south side

Chicago, IL

#103 Jul 29, 2008
Critical asss is a bunch of loser dorks. I will be waiting for these freaks next time with an extra large box of tacks.
Dang

United States

#104 Jul 29, 2008
Peter wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm pretty sure that's how you protect yourself from arrogant, piece of shiit bikers who thinks they own the roads and that everyone else on the street including pedestrians should have to put up with their neo-fascist, communist bullshiit philosophy and their save-the-world infantile worldview.
As opposed to your brilliant philosophies? You're a real terd!
anarky99

Chicago, IL

#105 Jul 29, 2008
let's just wait and see what actually provoked the officer. These Critical Mass rides are fun to watch and probably fun to participate in but what seems to motivate them is organized anarchy and bucking authority.
Steve

Los Angeles, CA

#106 Jul 29, 2008
Take that, hippie!
Butch

Winnetka, IL

#107 Jul 29, 2008
Nationwide, the police are out-of-control. I don't believe they can be reigned in.
Dang

United States

#108 Jul 29, 2008
Sock Ray Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a bicyclist anticipate the cops move to his left by going in the same direction? The logical thing is to go behind the cop. I would think of it as an attack if I were in the same position. Also if I was to have a serious doubt about the cops intention I'd stop and ask him (in front of those witnesses) what's wrong. Then the monkey/ball would be on/in his back/court.
The bottom line is that if I feel threatened I will protect myself and if it means a jerk on a bike gets scratched......oh well.
You have to be mentally disabled to look at this video and think ANYTHING the cop did was justified. It was unprovoked assault and battery, period. The rider DID NOT PRESENT A THREAT, and that's the ONLY time something like what the cop did was justified. I AWLAYS give the police the benefit of the doubt(most cops are good and it's a thankless job) but, this was flat out abuse of power. Then, they have the B-A-L-L-S to charge the rider with crimes like resisting arrest, and assault, clearly trumped up after viewing the video. At the risk of sounding dated, this is an act of tyranny (because the officer is in a position of authority under government), and if stuff like this keeps up, tyrants blood may be spilled.
jeez

Chicago, IL

#109 Jul 29, 2008
Sock Ray Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would a bicyclist anticipate the cops move to his left by going in the same direction? The logical thing is to go behind the cop. I would think of it as an attack if I were in the same position. Also if I was to have a serious doubt about the cops intention I'd stop and ask him (in front of those witnesses) what's wrong. Then the monkey/ball would be on/in his back/court.
The bottom line is that if I feel threatened I will protect myself and if it means a jerk on a bike gets scratched......oh well.
Because you are a hick in th middle of nowhere I will explain this to you.
The biker started moving left to avoid the cop faster than the cop was moving. The cop sped up to intercept the biker. At that point if the biker had gone the other direction he would have hit the cop head on instead of getting body checked.
Boil it down to football since those are probably the only terms of movement and force you understand.
A wideout running downfield trying to avoid a cornerback will go left toward the sideline to try and out run the CB. The CB will run faster to intercept him. Sometimes at the last second the WR will try to cut right, but is usually tackled anyway.
Same thing here except he had no idea he was going to be tackled by the cop.
John Adams

Chicago, IL

#110 Jul 29, 2008
Shameful behavior by this cop, he should be pilloried.

Shame on the posters here defending him, too.
Dang

United States

#111 Jul 29, 2008
Steve wrote:
Take that, hippie!
That's hilarious.(Officially I disagree w/ that cops actions though)
Brent

Wheaton, IL

#112 Jul 29, 2008
I love it!

These bikers are participating in an event designed to DISRUPT traffic, promote anti-vehicle sentiment, and otherwise create chaos.

This video shows how a biker matters to the rest of the world.

I've saved the video for kicks, and I'll remember it the next time one tries to buzz me while I'm walking as a pedestrian.

LMAO!!
headache

Chicago, IL

#113 Jul 29, 2008
That was great to watch. Is there any video of these losers getting run over by a car... or better yet a bus ??
Monty

Chicago, IL

#114 Jul 29, 2008
The next time there is a critical mass event downtown, we should bring out heaps of 'critical rope' to pull across the roadways...
Annoyed Driver

Satellite Beach, FL

#115 Jul 29, 2008
I admit what this guy did was wrong, but bikers have to be the most annoying people on the road. They have no respect for stop signs or stop lights, think they can weave in and out of cars and use one way streets. These Bikers complain about all they have to put up with, but if they wouldn't annoy the heck out of drivers it would be fine. I give the right away to 18 wheelers because they are bigger than me. Bikers should do the same to car. Until Bikers stop being the rudist and most disturbing people on the road, this won't end. Learn how to bike and not think you are the only thing on the road and it maybe you'll get some respect, selfish bikers.
Brent

Wheaton, IL

#116 Jul 29, 2008
***THIS EXPLAINS WHAT CRITICAL MASS DOES IN NYC***

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07292008/postopin...

I would have done more than knock him off the bike!
Steve

United States

#117 Jul 29, 2008
Vicroy 27 wrote:
Yet another example of the entitled generation.
Back in my day, you didn't breathe unless you were told to! What a crock.
Dont tase me bro

Monongahela, PA

#118 Jul 29, 2008
Sock Ray Blue wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, did you watch the video? There are TWO cops walking to the left-if the biker went to the right, he would've hit the other cop. There was about 3-4 feet clear on the biker's right side, and about twice that much space on his left - that's why he went that way - you could see the biker accelerate to try to squeeze in the the space on the left, but since the cop also quickened his step as well the collision happened. The bike had about 1 second to react, all the while the cop stared down the biker for at least 3-5 seconds before the collision. Just before the cop starts to quicken his step at the 0:24 mark, there is easily enough time and room for the biker to pass the cop on the left.

So was the correct thing to do was to swerve into a narrower opening and hit the other officer. Notice that initially, the other officer appears to start heading toward the other side of the street at the 0:20 mark, but it appears that the accused cop said something to get the cops attention several seconds before the collision, because you can see the other cop change his/her direction and walk toward the cyclist. The cop didn't accidentally get hit - he knew something was going to happen and his partner knew it.
Dang

United States

#119 Jul 29, 2008
Dave wrote:
The video obviously only shows the incident where the cop levels the cyclist. However, according to the cops, and I believe them, this cyclist disregarded pedestrians and basic traffic laws. I don't know who was right or wrong in this he said, she said episode, but if the cops were telling the truth, then I say screw the cyclist. Better him than some random pedestrian trying to cross the street.
Well, if the cops were correc than a this cyclist committed a traffic violation. How about the next time you get a ticket, you get body checked from a moving bicycle first? Even if this cyclist did violate some traffic law, it's not like he did anything violent, therefore this cops actions were NOT justified.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,580,124
News Mayor Emanuel, City of Chicago File Federal Law... 40 min poi pounder 94
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr SweLL GirL 11,169
Depression, pain n anxiety treatment; 3 hr Gard 3
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 6 hr Alyssa76 3,698
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 hr Beams 63,943
What's the real story about Charlottsville? 13 hr Sojourner UNtruth 14

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages