Polish, Mexicans to celebrate heritage

Polish, Mexicans to celebrate heritage

There are 77 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 2, 2008, titled Polish, Mexicans to celebrate heritage. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Whether you have a taste for kielbasa or chorizo, Saturday in downtown Chicago promises to be full of cultural flavor as Polish and Mexican families celebrate major historical events of both countries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Nick

United States

#29 May 3, 2008
Viva La Raza wrote:
Yup, we're gonna shake the city upside down!
You're gonna need a shovel to dig out that hole your in.
Guadalupe Dombrowski

United States

#31 May 3, 2008
Kraut Pierogis and Refried Beans make for bad F A R T S.

“WHAT HUMP? ”

Since: Mar 08

Chicago

#32 May 3, 2008
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Joey. Does this mean that us south side Irish can't celebrate St Patrick's Day because we would be insulting America?
Thats a religious holiday we use as an excuse to consume large quantities of green beer. I don't see anyone driving around with Irish flags on their cars and in front of their houses. We just quietly and respectfuly get very drunk.

Hey its a free country. You can do anything you want. But if your so proud of the country you abandoned, go back and make it better. I think if you lived in Mexico City and threw a huge 4th of July celebration they would be mad at you too.
Robert

United States

#33 May 3, 2008
miss butterworthless wrote:
mexicans suck- poland rules-
the mexicans will have urine running down thier legs by noon-- dumb axx drunk fools.
You've just shown the true depth of your ignorance and mean-spiritedness. Hopefully, you're young and will grow out of your hatred with the help of some soul searching and religion. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#36 May 3, 2008
Not nice? The problem is that it is TRUE. Get the worm; WORM!!!
Abe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not nice.
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#37 May 3, 2008
So you would be one of the little grezzy suckers out there acting like your celebrating. Say something like that to a real gringoes face; your life won't be worth S H I T !!
Mexicano wrote:
Viva La Raza pinches gringos gordos y mensos!
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#38 May 3, 2008
The shovel should be used to make the hole larger; allowing it to fit all the little grease bags in it together.
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
You're gonna need a shovel to dig out that hole your in.
Robert

United States

#39 May 3, 2008
Joey K wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a religious holiday we use as an excuse to consume large quantities of green beer. I don't see anyone driving around with Irish flags on their cars and in front of their houses. We just quietly and respectfuly get very drunk.
Hey its a free country. You can do anything you want. But if your so proud of the country you abandoned, go back and make it better. I think if you lived in Mexico City and threw a huge 4th of July celebration they would be mad at you too.
Joey, Joey, Joey! Please don't insult my itelligence by suggesting that St. Patrick's Day is only a religious celebration, and not also an Irish Pride Parade - nothing wrong with that, Joe. When I was at the Irish Parade on the South Side a few years ago, I didn't see any "Kiss Me I'm American" buttons on people. And I also didn't see lots of people dressed in the red, white, and blue. And what about the St. Patrick's Day Queen? How come her title isn't American Patriot Queen, or the Stars and Stripes Queen? And you quietly get drunk and celebrate this religious holiday? Obviously you haven't been to a St. Patrick's Day parade and the parties at the pubs afterwards. Just because people choose to celebrate their roots and ancestors does not mean they are turning their backs on this country they love. And by the way, Joey. Some Mexican's in Mexico celebrate St. Patrick's Day in respect to the Irish that served courageously with the Mexican Army in their fight for Texas - I didn't witness any Mexican's getting upset about this celebration being held in their country a few years ago.
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#40 May 3, 2008
I would hope someone prays for you, since you are an fool; before one of these great people stab you or your loved ones in the back. Taking your jobs, and talking as if all Americans are fools, comes from fools like you that support them?
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
You've just shown the true depth of your ignorance and mean-spiritedness. Hopefully, you're young and will grow out of your hatred with the help of some soul searching and religion. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.
Pete Gonzalez

Orem, UT

#41 May 3, 2008
Abe wrote:
... I think America would be better off if all these ethnic parades/celebrations were gradually phased out. Here in America we should put our American pride FIRST. And that includes feeling strongly about keeping intact our Borders, Language and Culture....
Our borders, language, and culture are constantly evolving. What was "American" culture 500 years ago? 400 years ago? 300 years ago? 200? 100? 20?

Every group that has settled in the U.S. has contributed towards creating this unique and ever-changing thing called American culture.

What are you really afraid of? A face of America that does not physically resemble yours?

I am America. I am "Kiss Me I am Irish." I am pizza, ribs, enchiladas, kiebasa, and curry. I am jazz, blues, country, salsa, polka, and rap. I am rodeo, opera, the Grand Ole Opry, and poetry slams. I am Maria, Omar, Benjamin, Vladimar, Billy Bob, Casimir, and Hakeem. America is all things and not only those things that keep you trapped inside your comfort box of exclusivenss and hate.

I am American!
make waves

Spacince, Slovakia

#42 May 3, 2008
in other words, melting pot of gleeps
karin

Carol Stream, IL

#43 May 3, 2008
Take a poll and see which culture has more ENGLISH speaking people, how many are college graduates, how many are LEGAL and how many have anchor babies...after watching the mexicans march/chant and wave that mexican flag and demands the US citizens to obey their rules and make no demands of mexico I am beginning to think that they are all criminals and when you join in on cinco day think about what it means and "their" agenda
Robert

United States

#44 May 3, 2008
AmeriWhat wrote:
I would hope someone prays for you, since you are an fool; before one of these great people stab you or your loved ones in the back. Taking your jobs, and talking as if all Americans are fools, comes from fools like you that support them?
<quoted text>
Buddy, you are a sad, pathetic, excuse for a human being. My safety and that of my family is more at risk from a hateful person like yourself. You are brimming with vile poison that is reflected in your words. The only fool here is you. Stop brooding and do something constructive with your life that benefits you and all around you.
Proud Polish

United States

#45 May 3, 2008
Americans, fat, lazy and stupid!
karin

Carol Stream, IL

#46 May 3, 2008
Proud Polish wrote:
Americans, fat, lazy and stupid!
some think the Polish are stupid people..sticks and stones...
Robert

United States

#47 May 3, 2008
karin wrote:
Take a poll and see which culture has more ENGLISH speaking people, how many are college graduates, how many are LEGAL and how many have anchor babies...after watching the mexicans march/chant and wave that mexican flag and demands the US citizens to obey their rules and make no demands of mexico I am beginning to think that they are all criminals and when you join in on cinco day think about what it means and "their" agenda
Yes, Karin. Anybody not like you is a criminal, even if they're Americans. And if one celebrates Cinco De Mayo, what agenda are they pushing? You are one paranoid lady, Karin. Have you taken your Prozac yet? That might help.
karin

Carol Stream, IL

#48 May 3, 2008
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Karin. Anybody not like you is a criminal, even if they're Americans. And if one celebrates Cinco De Mayo, what agenda are they pushing? You are one paranoid lady, Karin. Have you taken your Prozac yet? That might help.
get serious the facts speak for them selves..look at the crime, the lack of skills..a dish washer or busboy is not considered a skill..the overbreeding..why would the mexicans celebrate this day when they have to flee a country that considers them uselss and they see that the country that they so stupidly fought off is functioning and it's citizens are literate..you need to open your mind to what the illegals have done to mexico and why the middle class their does not want them..

“...a river of conscience ...”

Since: Oct 07

Scotland

#49 May 3, 2008
Pete Gonzalez wrote:
<quoted text>
Our borders, language, and culture are constantly evolving. What was "American" culture 500 years ago? 400 years ago? 300 years ago? 200? 100? 20?
Every group that has settled in the U.S. has contributed towards creating this unique and ever-changing thing called American culture.
What are you really afraid of? A face of America that does not physically resemble yours?
I am America. I am "Kiss Me I am Irish." I am pizza, ribs, enchiladas, kiebasa, and curry. I am jazz, blues, country, salsa, polka, and rap. I am rodeo, opera, the Grand Ole Opry, and poetry slams. I am Maria, Omar, Benjamin, Vladimar, Billy Bob, Casimir, and Hakeem. America is all things and not only those things that keep you trapped inside your comfort box of exclusivenss and hate.
I am American!
Pete, that is a great answer, love it! Abe'll have to go some to better that, I look forward to reading the ripost!

Poland's 1791 Constitution was a great achievement that made Russian and Prussian autocrats tremble for their own survival. Mexico's fight against occupation has to be heralded.

Regardless of current politics, most of which stink, the great achievements of the past MUST be celebrated to give further impetus for the good to happen in the future. JOY is a wonderful feeling.
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#50 May 3, 2008
Proud Polish
Chicago, IL Reply "Americans, fat, lazy and Stupid".
CAN YOU READ THIS YOU F U C K I N G A H O L E ! tHIS IS WHAT THESE LITTLE PENISES THINK OF AMERICANS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM; ONLY WITH M' R O N S LIKE YOU - D' HEAD !!! YOUR RIGHT, YOUR SAFETY IS AT RISK - NOW!!!
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddy, you are a sad, pathetic, excuse for a human being. My safety and that of my family is more at risk from a hateful person like yourself. You are brimming with vile poison that is reflected in your words. The only fool here is you. Stop brooding and do something constructive with your life that benefits you and all around you.
AmeriWhat

Plainfield, IL

#51 May 3, 2008
bLA, bLA, bLA - GET A LIFE IN THE CURRENT WORLD. THESE PEOPLE THINK ALL AMERICANS OWE THEM FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL B/S??? EVEN WORSE, THEY THINK WE ARE ALL FOOLS! WHEN WE SUPPORT THEIR B/S; NO WONDER THEY THINK WE ARE WISHY WASHY FOOLS!
HealingTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, that is a great answer, love it! Abe'll have to go some to better that, I look forward to reading the ripost!
Poland's 1791 Constitution was a great achievement that made Russian and Prussian autocrats tremble for their own survival. Mexico's fight against occupation has to be heralded.
Regardless of current politics, most of which stink, the great achievements of the past MUST be celebrated to give further impetus for the good to happen in the future. JOY is a wonderful feeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
has anyone ever had sex with an animal? (Jul '12) 3 min AStone 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min Jacques Orleans 213,102
Word (Dec '08) 25 min PEllen 5,991
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min IB DaMann 58,832
last post wins! (Dec '10) 56 min honeymylove 1,969
Review: B52 Van Lines (Apr '15) 56 min damonbarnes 30
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr Tami 2,261
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages