Chicago bike-sharing program will roll out in June

Apr 24, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chicago Tribune

The heavy-duty bikes in the Divvy program feature a step-through, one-size-fits-all design; upright handlebars with the gear-changer on the grip and wide, adjustable seats for comfort; hand brakes; a chain guard to protect clothing; and a basket with an elastic cord for storing items.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
benselys reality

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

yea that program will last as long as it takes the fine upstanding citizens of the south side to ride off into the ghetto with all those bikes never to be see in the downtown area again EVER.

they will be sold off for parts, drugs or scrap.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Wait, what? I am confused. Why would fine, upstanding citizens sell the bikes for drugs? Good citizens would not sell the bikes, and they certainly would not engage in the use of illegal narcotics. Would you please clarify for me?
benselys reality

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Wait, what? I am confused. Why would fine, upstanding citizens sell the bikes for drugs? Good citizens would not sell the bikes, and they certainly would not engage in the use of illegal narcotics. Would you please clarify for me?
Yes be glad to clarify for you.

the fine upstanding citizens are from the south side of Chicago which happens to be the murder capitol of America.

more homocides, looting, drug sales, generations of same family welfare queens. wilding incidents they stole 3000 pairs of jeans from one store , armed robberies, car thief assaults, occur on the south side of Chicago than anywhere else in America.

so based on history of the south side residents what behavior would you expect from this group of fine Chicago citizens when they get their collective hands on free bicycles? Hummm???

some parts of the south side are so bad so out of control the police ( those highly paid people who are sworn to defend and protect) don't want to go into the neighborhoods.

unless you have an outstanding parking violation or meter violation. then they chase them to the grave
Hoodies Skittles N Tea

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

benselys reality wrote:
yea that program will last as long as it takes the fine upstanding citizens of the south side to ride off into the ghetto with all those bikes never to be see in the downtown area again EVER.
they will be sold off for parts, drugs or scrap.
I wonder if the Tru-TV Network will have a "Bait Bike Chicago" like they have Bait Car Chicago?

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

benselys reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes be glad to clarify for you.
the fine upstanding citizens are from the south side of Chicago which happens to be the murder capitol of America.
more homocides, looting, drug sales, generations of same family welfare queens. wilding incidents they stole 3000 pairs of jeans from one store , armed robberies, car thief assaults, occur on the south side of Chicago than anywhere else in America.
so based on history of the south side residents what behavior would you expect from this group of fine Chicago citizens when they get their collective hands on free bicycles? Hummm???
some parts of the south side are so bad so out of control the police ( those highly paid people who are sworn to defend and protect) don't want to go into the neighborhoods.
unless you have an outstanding parking violation or meter violation. then they chase them to the grave
Ahhhhh, so you're one of those idiots who post little rants without actually being even quasi-informed. The bikes are actually rented, and the rental has to be secured by a credit card which will be pre-approved at the time of the rental or at the time the person signs up for a membership. Sooooooo, no free bicycles. Dum dum.
Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhhhh, so you're one of those idiots who post little rants without actually being even quasi-informed. The bikes are actually rented, and the rental has to be secured by a credit card which will be pre-approved at the time of the rental or at the time the person signs up for a membership. Sooooooo, no free bicycles. Dum dum.
I can't wait for a person to get run over by a car and sue the city! Another rahm emanuel stupid idea unless he's the one getting run over!

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't wait for a person to get run over by a car and sue the city! Another rahm emanuel stupid idea unless he's the one getting run over!
And they would sue the City why?? It's not like a car where the insurance follows the vehicle.

Are you saying that the City should discourage bike usage and encourage more cars on the streets?
Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
And they would sue the City why?? It's not like a car where the insurance follows the vehicle.
Are you saying that the City should discourage bike usage and encourage more cars on the streets?

Because its city operated! I never said anything about more cars or discouraging bikes. Standard lib debate, bait and switch! Understand the law and then we'll talk. Until then, ride your bike, preferably in traffic!
Joke

Madisonville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

What do you call a carjacker in the South?

Shot dead.
My Turn

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Joke wrote:
What do you call a carjacker in the South?
Shot dead.
What do you call a Chicongo gang member hitch-hiking in the South?

Stranded.
bozo ideas

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
actually have used bike exchange programs in other countries and there is no credit card requirement because the citizens can be trusted play the game, you just take a bike from the bike stand and leave it in a bike stand in another part of town no muss no fuss no credit cards.
Incorrect

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

<quoted text>
Because its city operated! I never said anything about more cars or discouraging bikes. Standard lib debate, bait and switch! Understand the law and then we'll talk. Until then, ride your bike, preferably in traffic!
Its actually not being operated by the city.

http://www.altabicycleshare.com/

Since: Apr 13

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

<quoted text>
Because its city operated!
A friend was on his bike and a city bus ran into him (at very slow speeds) and broke one of his front teeth. There was a disclaimer on the side of the bus that they were not liable. He had to get his own tooth fixed at his expense.
Rahm Jizzbucket Emanuel

Oswego, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Incorrect wrote:
<quoted text>
Its actually not being operated by the city.
http://www.altabicycleshare.com/
Yes, and the other equipment vendor is Public Bike System Co, however they're not private companies. These are companies that have zero control over where the kiosks (rental locations) will be along with pricing. The city will have control over all of that which opens many doors for its legal responsibility. Just wait for the Smith family from Maine, visiting during the summer and little Johnny rides into the street on a red light and gets run over. The legal ladder of responsibility will find its way back to the city.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

bozo ideas wrote:
<quoted text>
actually have used bike exchange programs in other countries and there is no credit card requirement because the citizens can be trusted play the game, you just take a bike from the bike stand and leave it in a bike stand in another part of town no muss no fuss no credit cards.
Yes, well we're not talking about other countries, are we?

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

<quoted text>
Since you understand the law so well, then I assume you understand tort immunity, proximate cause, etc.? Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Whether or not that suit goes anywhere is an entirely diffent matter. But please, don't let facts and reality get in the way of your trying to slam something.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

We have had them in Minneapolis since 2010, and so far there have been no lawsuits or stolen/stripped down bikes. You use a credit or debit card and it's $5 for one day's subscription, with additional charges added if you don't check the bike back into a kiosk within 30 minutes. The only real problem has been people using debit cards, and not reading the fine print that a $250 hold will be deducted, and it takes a few days to get that back into their account. Not sure what to say to that except maybe...learn to read? I hope it does as well in Chicago, although Minneapolis is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min Brian_G 45,491
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 5 min newpoly 1,830
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Homer 1,072,292
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min wojar 173,628
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr andet1987 395
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 2 hr Obama Sucks 7,562
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMare 48,690
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••