Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In their mind, running this big contraption to do the job you could do by hand is overkill. I don't think energy efficiency crosses their mind. They have an old fridge that is over 20 years old. 100% not energy efficient by today's standards. They redid the kitchen and got a new fridge. The old one is on the back patio. In the Miami heat. The stuff I've read says you're better of throwing that out than putting it out there. And I've mentioned it. But there it sits.
I hope they removed the door!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>exactly.*I* was the dishwasher. I was allowed to have electronic assistance once a week. I know that statistically its supposed to be more energy efficient to use the dishwasher than do it by habd, but my parents to this day stll do it by hand.
my MIL was quite surprised to see their water bill go down once they installed a dishwasher. i think she's the type to wash under the constantly running water instead of fill a tub and rinse every few items. i don't think their diswasher is "fancy" or especially efficient.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're still using it, Red. It's probably plugged in full of pop and beer.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they're still using it, Red. It's probably plugged in full of pop and beer.
Oh, gotcha.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
If it sits outside during teh winter running, it gets messed up because teh outside is colder than teh insdie and teh thermostat doesn't understand to keep the 40 degree tem inide.
I have first hand knowledge on this... and a helluva a mess to have cleaned up later

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I remember you saying your dad thinks he always knows best? Does he tell you "That's the way the wife likes it"?:)
hah! no. i didn't push it on them and argue when they continued with what they were doing. i just relayed a bit of the information i had read. probably to my mom, not my dad, and i never mentioned it again
Julie

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
L1: I don't believe you were on the pill and using condoms. If you were, you weren't taking your pill regularly and you weren't using condoms properly.
This. Either the letter is a fake, or the LW is full of it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
??? Removed the door? Its not sitting our there for storage. Its plugged in and beng used.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>If it sits outside during teh winter running, it gets messed up because teh outside is colder than teh insdie and teh thermostat doesn't understand to keep the 40 degree tem inide.
I have first hand knowledge on this... and a helluva a mess to have cleaned up later
Cold is npt a peoblem in florida. rhe problem is with 20 years of wear and tear, it likely does not seal perfectly, so add that to the outdoor heat and that compressor probably runs a whole lot more than a new fridge

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog's approach(to not introduce birth control)
That was never my approach. Will not defend a stance I didn't take.

But back to fridges, can't understand why people would need one on their porch anyway.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh. sometime I run it just half full. My rule is, once I'm out of something (glasses, forks, whatever), I run it.
Round here we have a set price for water usage (you're allowed up to x amount, you pay more when you go over.) I've realized I'm only using little more than half of my allowance. So I've started running the dishwasher with only a few things in it. Same with laundry. And I've started to shower!

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That was never my approach. Will not defend a stance I didn't take.
But back to fridges, can't understand why people would need one on their porch anyway.
cause they don't have a garage.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>cause they don't have a garage.
Fair enough.

... Why would you need one in your garage?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
... Why would you need one in your garage?
cause the one in the kitchen is fulll. i have an extra freezer in my garage. you've never heard of people with an extracfridge or freezer?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

I know lots of people with an extra fridge. Many call it a "beer fridge" and that is exactly what it is.

But it's a way for a household with kids to hold extra gallons of milk, frozen pizzas, pop, other cold items that the household fridge doesn't have room for. When I got a new fridge, I gave mine away to a daycare mom who wanted it for that reason.

When I leave my condo, Nick's brother is taking my fridge and dishwasher for the house he just bought. In return, he's storing my motorcycle for the winter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

also, friends of mine took Nick's fridge when he got a new one a couple of months ago. It's in their garage, storing lots of beer.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Yes, in the Midwest, we typically have basements and garages. Barring that, we too would have a porch freezer.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

I've got a spare fridge too in the basement but it's unused right now. If you've got a family to feed, I can see needing the extra storage but if it's just two people? How much of what is who storing in the fridge to necessitate multiple fridges?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

edogxxx wrote:
I've got a spare fridge too in the basement but it's unused right now. If you've got a family to feed, I can see needing the extra storage but if it's just two people? How much of what is who storing in the fridge to necessitate multiple fridges?
My friends use the extra fridge for beer. I have friends who go to beer festivals and special releases (most of my friends are into really good beers -- I am not), and some beers are special limited brews, etc.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

They've got extra sodas and assorted beverages as well as other non-everyday items that needto be refrigerated, but would just be in the way in the already full main fridge. Additionally, I don't simply have a freezer in the garage cause I have a family. I stock up. You go to Sam's and buy a half of a cow instead of a couple steaks at a time. Boom. Got room in my freezer. Makes gives you more options on what to cook coause you can store more stuff. Save a little money buying bulk.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min OzRitz 45,780
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 29 min Uzi 67,930
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Tinka 1,079,668
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr truth 48,894
Presidential library planned for Chicago Chicag... 3 hr joey 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Milsack 174,600
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 5 hr TW_sugar_daddio 10
Abby 7-24 6 hr Pippa 42
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr Mister Tonka 97,524
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••