Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#62 Oct 24, 2012
Tonka -- you're cracking me up. It makes total kid sense, though, it really does.

I'm older than you and we didn't have a dishwasher growing up. No one I knew did.

We took turns at our house. I hated doing dishes on spaghetti night. My mother didn't rinse out the big pot nor the pan for the meatballs. You had the pot for the noodles, but that wasn't bad. There were a lot of us. Lots of dishes on spaghetti night. Then sauce spilled in droplets on the kitchen table and on the counter. Yannow, kids.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#63 Oct 24, 2012
I think most of us aren't okay with a 13yo having sex. I think that's too young for the emotional consequence, and this LW was ahead of most girls at that age by seeking out birth control.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#64 Oct 24, 2012
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't understand the girls that 'couldn't wait' to get theirs. I stand by my pre-teen line of thinking on this.
Holla!

"Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret" = crazy chicks. Enjoy the period-free life while it lasts!

I've been on depo provera for probably almost 10 years and I love it. Brings me back to the good old days before I turned 14.
;)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#65 Oct 24, 2012
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
How about this? What if parents talk to their kids about sex and birth control and make sure that if and when they decide to have sex, they are protected?
Have sex? Protected? Haven't you been paying attention? That's the equivalent of tellingthem to go out and fk like rabbits!

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#66 Oct 24, 2012
Still, 4 plates a day (just for dinner) X 7 = 28 plates, same for glasses, double for silverware....The math does not seem right.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Oh, and pots and pans were always by hand. Wash one big item in the dishwasher that take up the same amount of space as multiple smaller items that then need to be washed by hand, or wash the big item by hand and put the multiple items inthe diswasher? Seems like a simple choice.

Location hidden

#67 Oct 24, 2012
I was on the pill for 3 years or more before I had sex. I don't think peopel use it as an excuse to have sex. They're going to have it regardless. That's been proven.

If you're getting financial support for having kids you can't afford,I think you should have to be on birth control.
pde

Palatine, IL

#68 Oct 24, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect it was things other than bc that caused her to act this way, edog. I'm guessing her parents aren't exactly parent of the year material. All the more reason for her to be on bc.
I think that most of us can agree that a 13-year-old having sex is a relatively unwise decision. If the girl actually did seek out bc of her own accord though, that at least shows she has some modicum of common sense (and bravery) on top of whatever underlying reason she made that unwise decision.

But I suspect that given that she got pregnant, the bc wasn't being used properly.

(Actually, I go with the people who suspect the letter is fake, because the story is illogical. If the miscarriage occurred at 16 weeks, as implied, and sometime after an ultrasound, she most likely wouldn't have known the baby's sex from that ultrasound. If the miscarriage occurred after a point where it's reasonable to know the baby's sex, the clinic would have likely sent her to the hospital because that's a late and more complex miscarriage.)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#69 Oct 24, 2012
RACE wrote:
Still, 4 plates a day (just for dinner) X 7 = 28 plates, same for glasses, double for silverware....The math does not seem right.
<quoted text>
Perhaps they used paper plates.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#70 Oct 24, 2012
Kuuipo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe she was, either. The Pill regulates periods. But if the letter isn't fake, I hope she can get some therapy to manage her grief and learn how to make better choices. She's going through a lot for a 15-year-old, and it doesn't sound like she has a lot of parental direction.
yeah, it does sound like there are some ohter issues going on too...

but the theme of getting on better BC is one that should be investigated, especially if she is going to continue being sexually active for the time being.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#71 Oct 24, 2012
Re: stacking the dishwasher: i'm working on not cringing when my brother decides he's had it with converstation after Thanksgiving dinner so he'll start cleanig the kitchen. While i should appreciate the assistance, ive learned what can go where in the dishwasher to maximize the loads and it chaps my hide to have to hand wash any more than i have to. but then, he's bored with us and is still truly helping, so i'll have to get over it.

at least i'm not using any dishes that HAVE to be handwashed... just the usual collection of pot & pans. and even some of those can go in teh washer.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#72 Oct 24, 2012
They dont do well in the dishwasher....
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps they used paper plates.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#73 Oct 24, 2012
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you keep up with this theory of 7 days worth of dishes being in the washer at once? At most I could probalby get 3 days worth of stuff in there. 4 if I was lucky.

Additionally, I'm sure this began when I was in my parents house, depending on what was for dinner (ie: nothing wet and soggy), sometimes paper plates were used.
dahgts

Park Ridge, IL

#74 Oct 24, 2012
I really got screwed with the dishwashing. I have twin brothers and they could alternate drying while I had to wash every day. And then they tried to put the clean ones back on the sink for me to wash again. Just not fair. And to this day, I'm traumatized. :)

Location hidden

#75 Oct 24, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep up with this theory of 7 days worth of dishes being in the washer at once? At most I could probalby get 3 days worth of stuff in there. 4 if I was lucky.
Additionally, I'm sure this began when I was in my parents house, depending on what was for dinner (ie: nothing wet and soggy), sometimes paper plates were used.
So... was there a rule that the dishwasher could be run only once a week?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#76 Oct 24, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
exactly.*I* was the dishwasher. I was allowed to have electronic assistance once a week. I know that statistically its supposed to be more energy efficient to use the dishwasher than do it by habd, but my parents to this day stll do it by hand.
pde

Palatine, IL

#77 Oct 24, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this is where we are all getting confused. Especially since it's generally considered more energy and water efficient (especially nowadays) to run a full load in the dishwasher than to wash the same number of dishes by hand.

I wait for the dishwasher to be as full as full can be, but then it gets run. I'm not going to wash things that can go in the dishwasher by hand in order to avoid running it.

Location hidden

#78 Oct 24, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>exactly.*I* was the dishwasher. I was allowed to have electronic assistance once a week. I know that statistically its supposed to be more energy efficient to use the dishwasher than do it by habd, but my parents to this day stll do it by hand.
Heh. sometime I run it just half full. My rule is, once I'm out of something (glasses, forks, whatever), I run it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#79 Oct 24, 2012
When they come to my house, we go thru a lot of dishes. I will go around cleaning up after people and do so by putting dishes in the dishwasher. My parents will try to help clean up by standing there and handwashing anything that I hadn't gotten around to putting in the dishwasher, even when the dishwasher is sitting there un-full waiting to collect more stuff before I run it..

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#80 Oct 24, 2012
pde wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this is where we are all getting confused. Especially since it's generally considered more energy and water efficient (especially nowadays) to run a full load in the dishwasher than to wash the same number of dishes by hand.
I wait for the dishwasher to be as full as full can be, but then it gets run. I'm not going to wash things that can go in the dishwasher by hand in order to avoid running it.
In their mind, running this big contraption to do the job you could do by hand is overkill. I don't think energy efficiency crosses their mind. They have an old fridge that is over 20 years old. 100% not energy efficient by today's standards. They redid the kitchen and got a new fridge. The old one is on the back patio. In the Miami heat. The stuff I've read says you're better of throwing that out than putting it out there. And I've mentioned it. But there it sits.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#81 Oct 24, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>In their mind, running this big contraption to do the job you could do by hand is overkill. I don't think energy efficiency crosses their mind. They have an old fridge that is over 20 years old. 100% not energy efficient by today's standards. They redid the kitchen and got a new fridge. The old one is on the back patio. In the Miami heat. The stuff I've read says you're better of throwing that out than putting it out there. And I've mentioned it. But there it sits.
Do I remember you saying your dad thinks he always knows best? Does he tell you "That's the way the wife likes it"?:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min VetnorsGate 1,644,254
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Into The Night 64,178
Joe Biden and PLAGIARISM. 3 hr Biden-s a DORK 11
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 3 hr HRCs an EVIL bytch 7
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 hr They cannot kill ... 11,543
last post wins! (Apr '13) 11 hr honeymylove 2,658
Hillary did say Trump would grow debt trillions 13 hr William Jefferson... 4

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages