Best reward for Bears' win: Cooking up pressure

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 23, 2008, titled Best reward for Bears' win: Cooking up pressure. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The NFL is a copycat league. Thus it wasn't a surprise when Vikings coach Brad Childress tried to draw inspiration from Barack Obama , as Lovie Smith did earlier this year in invoking the famous Bears fan and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wayne

South Elgin, IL

#1 Dec 23, 2008
Haugh said: "[Orton] has regressed, and not all of it can be blamed on the receivers." He could have just as easily said that some of it CAN be blamed on the receivers. There are too many dropped passes. Booker's drop was horrible -- right on his numbers! Too many poorly run routes. Yes, Orton has areas of his game that need improvement. But a couple of reliable receivers would go a long way toward helping him out.
Arif

Plainfield, IL

#2 Dec 23, 2008
No doubt Kyle Orton has struggled significantly since his return from his ankle injury. My expectations of Orton is simply eliminate costly turnovers and help your offense move the football. He does have many flaws which can be correctable, staring down one particular reciever in passing downs, costly interceptions, failing to throw an accurate deep pass. It's difficult to read him at this point, earlier on the season he seemed like a pro bowler and now seems like a clear backup. I really do want him to succeed because we've seen him excel in a number of games earlier on this season.
Michigan Bears Fan

Jenison, MI

#3 Dec 24, 2008
This whole Orton/Grossman thing is sooo over. I was a huge believer in Rex, at first. He has proved, to me at least, that pressure makes him skittish and the dropped balls from center were almost worse than the interceptions from bullheaded trying to force the ball where it shouldn't go, and "Moose" Muhammed was no help back then either. To Kyle Oton. I thought he showed a steady hand and much confidence at the beginning of the season. Without some lackluster defensive play and coupld of boneheaded coaching decisions (and those are a constant from Lovie and his boys)the Bears could have easily been 4 and 0 at the beginning of the season. Then Orton got hurt and whatever wind was at his back switched around and he has been trying to right his ship. However, I believe, he is a better chance to turn things around than Rex. He has fallen into some bad habbits (staring down his reciever and taking to long on his release) but they can be corrected, we hope. Unlike Rex who proved he like his bad habbits to much to change them we all had better hope Orton will, because the chances of Angelo drafting a first rate quarterback are non-existant. This Christmas Season let's all be thankful he got lucky with Forte, because I don't think he picked him out of his prowess to evaluate talent
Michigan Bears Fan

Jenison, MI

#4 Dec 24, 2008
So wrapped up in MY opinion forgot to comment on Minnesota, because ---it's MY opinion. I can so no reason the Vikes should feel any pressue. They are a better defense than the Bears, have a better running game, own all the "tie breaker" stats and are playing a team that has "locked" their playoff spot. More likely the Cowboys lose and give the Bears a shot at the wild card; which, based on the way they played Minnesota, they really don't deserve. Doubt very seriously they would get past the first round anyhow.
Orton Stinks

Bresso, Italy

#5 Dec 24, 2008
Orton has shown his true colors finally. He is the same 05' QB that joined the Bears back then, and still he shows us glimpses of his past. He Sucks! Thats right Orton lovers. Get over your obsession with Ko, he will be our down fall to get passed the first round. Every game he plays he's stinking it up, and you Ko lovers can't get it through your boned headed skulls that KO is a wash up. Bring REx back, he was the one to take us to the promise land and he should have been the started this season. NOw if the Bears dont make it to the playoffs because of KO's mistakes. They can blame themselves for not starting REx. REx got screwed and he doesnt belong on such a pitiful team.
Rocket Man

Des Moines, IA

#6 Dec 24, 2008
David: great article as usual. This team has learned from the early season blunders. It does need improvement in many areas. But it is good to see them working hard together and not doing any finger pointing, like some team in Texas. Bear fans should be proud of this season's team for being just that: a team with a coach who gets them believing in themselves. Imagine how good they can be if them can correct some of their flaws. No matter what happens Sunday, they did at least have a chance on the last weekend of the season. A few additions here and there to this team and the Bears can be on top next year for sure. Remember last year. The Giants weren't crushing people week-after-week. They were just winning. If the Bears can make it into the Super Bowl Tournament, ya never know what can happen.
Rocket Man

Des Moines, IA

#7 Dec 24, 2008
While I agree that Orton probably is not the long-term answer because of his lack of mobility, his dimished play is mainly due to the ankle injury. You can tell he is not comfortable pushing off of it, especially on long throws. I also think that not many QBs would do well in an offense that basically has no WRs. If the Bears had Driver and Jennings, we would be singing a different tune about Orton (and even Rex if he were in there). The lack of WRs who can create separation is a major short-coming on this Bears team.
Orton Stinks wrote:
Orton has shown his true colors finally. He is the same 05' QB that joined the Bears back then, and still he shows us glimpses of his past. He Sucks! Thats right Orton lovers. Get over your obsession with Ko, he will be our down fall to get passed the first round. Every game he plays he's stinking it up, and you Ko lovers can't get it through your boned headed skulls that KO is a wash up. Bring REx back, he was the one to take us to the promise land and he should have been the started this season. NOw if the Bears dont make it to the playoffs because of KO's mistakes. They can blame themselves for not starting REx. REx got screwed and he doesnt belong on such a pitiful team.

Since: Sep 08

Bloomington,IL

#8 Dec 24, 2008
Everthing that's fallen into place for a Bear's playoff spot can't be explained other than just dumb luck with the emphasis on "dumb" for Jerry and Lovie".Instead of reading and listening to all the "what-ifs" I'm going to sit back and watch the show. The time to get excited and start all these intense anaylizations is when they lose again, if they do lose--Then look out!

Since: Oct 08

Merrimac, WI

#9 Dec 24, 2008
Well Rocketman someone is watching Orten! Thats what i've seen to! But lets look around the WR's just drop balls because he throws them so damn hard, Maybe we get lucky and see some playoff games
FrankS

Watseka, IL

#10 Dec 24, 2008
Perhaps if Kyle could throw the deep ball, then defensive backs would have to give our receivers a little more cushion allowing them to get separation on the shorter routes. The problem with Rex is that he can throw the deep ball but he is terrible at throws over the middle. Since we can't merge the two QB's into one decent one, maybe it's time to look at bringing a real QB into the mix.

Since: Jul 08

Windsor, Ontario

#11 Dec 24, 2008
Once again, the coaches almost blew it, so the players had to overcome the gaffs and pull it out themselves. Why not bench Lovie and the stooges and let the players call the game!
GO BEARS, TEAR 'EM UP - BEAT HOUSTON!!!

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#12 Dec 24, 2008
Funny comment about the over-rated, over-paid, past-his-prime, child-producing-out-of-wedlock Urlacher. Didn't hear Urlacher's number all night except for the coin-flip. ANOTHER BONEHEADED MOVE BY ANGELO.

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!
BearsFan2

Bradenton, FL

#13 Dec 24, 2008
Kyle Orton
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

#14 Dec 24, 2008
I agree Orton has had two different seasons. But he has the worst receiving corps in the NFL thanks to the boob Angelo. Lloyd, Booker, Davis all cast-offs. Olsen and Clark are the only legit receivers. Hester is still a work in progress and has shown alligator arms across the middle.

Happy Holidays everybody!!
Tired of the BS

Chicago, IL

#15 Dec 24, 2008
You could put any top rated QB in the line up and they would look as bad as Orton when the WR drop balls. The offensive problems are not just Orton's fault. Hester is NOT a deep receiver. To many times I've seen balls slip through his hands. The Bears are not deserving of the playoff spot. They have blown too many games by stupidity. They really should have put season away early on. But dumb calls and poor performance cost them some games. If the Bears make the playoffs, they can only hope to get AZ in the first round. Otherwise it will be a quick playoffs.
EJ from Palatine

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 24, 2008
ViQueens always choke, we'll see if the Bears can win.
macko14

Manchester, GA

#17 Dec 24, 2008
What exactly does it mean to "make your own destiny?" I understand the concept, but if you are destined to have something happen, how do you change (or "make") it? Consider the source, I guess...LOL
macko14

Manchester, GA

#18 Dec 24, 2008
Tired of the BS wrote:
You could put any top rated QB in the line up and they would look as bad as Orton when the WR drop balls. The offensive problems are not just Orton's fault. Hester is NOT a deep receiver. To many times I've seen balls slip through his hands. The Bears are not deserving of the playoff spot. They have blown too many games by stupidity. They really should have put season away early on. But dumb calls and poor performance cost them some games. If the Bears make the playoffs, they can only hope to get AZ in the first round. Otherwise it will be a quick playoffs.
Arizona would be our worst nightmare. Umm, they pass alot, right? Enough said.
Greg

Chicago, IL

#19 Dec 24, 2008
Perhaps this will be the week that Lovie unleashes his secret weapon.
One Eye Covered

Platteville, WI

#20 Dec 24, 2008
Thats right Mr Coughlin, sir. You DO NOT want to go into the 2 week bye break off of a loss. That would be terrible. You would lose all momentum. So you must beat the Vikings. I can just picture the looks of disgust on the long faces of my friends Sven and Ollie up in Maple Grove and White Bear Lake already. Although the Bears still have to beat Houston.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min DBWriter 1,223,827
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min Cold Front 69,789
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min Earthling-1 53,010
Why so many jealous people in Bridgeport? 33 min Curious 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min FastandFurious 187,788
amy 5-4 1 hr Kuuipo 9
Amy May 3-15 2 hr Blunt Advice 5
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]