In Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois,...

In Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois, schools see an oversupply...

There are 172 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 3, 2009, titled In Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois, schools see an oversupply.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Frigid temperatures and subzero wind chills didn't keep job seekers away from a Chicago Public Schools teacher career fair.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
politwriter

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 4, 2009
Customarily when the supply of labor increases, salaries decline -- but not so for the union-insulated teachers. Take a look at the new CST database on teachers salaries from the $400,000+ Niles Twp administrator on down. I saw the $84,000 salary of one CPS teacher who is so illiterate, she has to pay me to write her academic papers.
Wow

Oak Park, IL

#2 Feb 4, 2009
I was a teacher coming out of college in 1996. There were no teaching jobs then. I was supposed to teach high school History, but all those jobs were taken by coaches. I ended up having to teach special ed for a year, even though I had no qualifications to do that, and then I taught math and science for a year, also with no qualification. I ended up quitting teaching after the second year because I couldn't get a history teaching job. It's a tough racket, and for all the talk about "we always need more teachers", there are not enough jobs out there for everyone.
Anon Y Mouse

Chicago, IL

#3 Feb 4, 2009
If you can't get a job teaching in IL, then move to another state. If you don't want to move, then choose another career.

Not to sound like sour grapes, but with the training and background, someone who can teach can do other jobs and make more money.
disturbed

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Feb 4, 2009
You should see the salaries most teachers make in the suburbs!! You got gym teachers making 110k a year BASE plus extra for coaching, teaching drivers ed etc.... and you wonder why property taxes are insane??
Not buying it

Bloomingdale, IL

#5 Feb 4, 2009
politwriter wrote:
Customarily when the supply of labor increases, salaries decline -- but not so for the union-insulated teachers. Take a look at the new CST database on teachers salaries from the $400,000+ Niles Twp administrator on down. I saw the $84,000 salary of one CPS teacher who is so illiterate, she has to pay me to write her academic papers.
This is why they need to test teachers for basic skills. I've heard of a CPS teacher in 3rd grade who couldn't do basic math. How do these people get a degree?

My family is lucky - with only one exception we've had bright, enthusiastic creative teachers. My daughter told me that she liked her 2nd grade teacher because it was all games (playing banker, balancing accounts, counting money for the "class store") and she didn't have to learn any math. She was having so much fun, she didn't realize that she was learning.
Todd

Romeoville, IL

#6 Feb 4, 2009
Blame the teachers union there should be a natuaral turnover of less than qualified so called teachers. Openning up new postions for those who are qualified just like the real world.
SLP

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 4, 2009
Wow wrote:
I was a teacher coming out of college in 1996. There were no teaching jobs then. I was supposed to teach high school History, but all those jobs were taken by coaches. I ended up having to teach special ed for a year, even though I had no qualifications to do that, and then I taught math and science for a year, also with no qualification. I ended up quitting teaching after the second year because I couldn't get a history teaching job. It's a tough racket, and for all the talk about "we always need more teachers", there are not enough jobs out there for everyone.
They need more teachers in areas (small town/rural areas) and in subjects (math, science, SPED) that people dont want to go in....and from what i understand, like it was in 1996 and now, many history and English teachers still have a hard time getting jobs in the chicagoland area as there is an over saturation of English and social studies teachers.
SLP

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 4, 2009
disturbed wrote:
You should see the salaries most teachers make in the suburbs!! You got gym teachers making 110k a year BASE plus extra for coaching, teaching drivers ed etc.... and you wonder why property taxes are insane??
that 110 most likely includes coaching and drivers ed. I don't understand why people get upset that teachers are WORKING for their money. I also dont understand why people complain about things they dont really know anything about.....I dont know what suburb you are from, but Im guessing you have excellent schools with high graduation rates from both high school and college??

Since: Nov 07

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 4, 2009
Yep...it's true, unless you have a specialty, it's hard to find a teaching position in the CPS.
lib trib

Naperville, IL

#10 Feb 4, 2009
SLP wrote:
<quoted text>
that 110 most likely includes coaching and drivers ed. I don't understand why people get upset that teachers are WORKING for their money. I also dont understand why people complain about things they dont really know anything about.....I dont know what suburb you are from, but Im guessing you have excellent schools with high graduation rates from both high school and college??
money does not make an excellent school! parents are the real teachers,not overpaid union teachers.and I know what I'm talking about.
For anyone out there that wants to know what teachers don't want you to know, go to Champion.com and take a peek and what teachers earn working 175 days a year!
History May Repeat

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 4, 2009
No district has a base salary of 110K! Get your facts straight!

Teachers spend thousands on college just like any other profession. The base salary in most districts on the North Shore is in the 30-35K range. The teachers that make a lot of money teaching have been doing it for over twenty years. After twenty years doing a job anyone should be making a good living. If you compare a person with a MBA to a person with a M.A, the salary is grossly lopsided in favor of the MBA, and teachers don't get bonuses. Same cost, less return!

Sure, teachers get summers off. Ask them if they want the summers off. They don't have a choice. How would you like to be told you're going on a ten week "vacation" without pay. The money teachers get paid over the summer is taken out of their normal paycheck and spread out through summer payments...without interest.

Tenure, another misunderstood term. It DOES NOT mean you are guaranteed a job and can't be fired. It means you are entitled to due process before getting fired. One of the few perks to being a teacher besides discounted admission to museums.

Teachers work hard just like anyone else out there. Stop bashing them. There are exponentially more good teachers out there than bad ones.

Every profession has its bad apples. By diminishing the respect of teachers and education, you diminish the value of education. Doing that is a big step backwards for this country. USA used to be the leader in education, now we're being left behind. If you want to blame the state of education on anything, blame it on politics!
uofi

Midlothian, IL

#12 Feb 4, 2009
lib trib wrote:
<quoted text>money does not make an excellent school! parents are the real teachers,not overpaid union teachers.and I know what I'm talking about.
For anyone out there that wants to know what teachers don't want you to know, go to Champion.com and take a peek and what teachers earn working 175 days a year!
No I dont think you know what you're talking about. Are you angry that its possible that someone makes 110, over a job that you think anyone can do? Most teachers dont hit that kind of salary until they have logged serious hours into the system.
Many teachers are not overpaid, where did you find those facts. Champion.org also has many salaries wrong, so thats not a reliable source of information.
Keep trying to tell yourself that you know what youre talking about, you are talking to yourself......you will never win that arguement with a REAL educator.
What is exactly that you think teachers are hiding?? How much money they make compared to a drug sales rep or a lawyer per year? Are you kidding me?
moreofthesame

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 4, 2009
Too bad it not what you know - it's who you know and how much are you willing to pay for the job.
Taxpayer

Pleasanton, CA

#14 Feb 4, 2009
A 9 month work year.

An 8 hour day.

Great pay.

Ridiculous benefits.

No accountability.

You can't get fired.

When you don't like your pay or benefits, just go home for a few weeks and wait for the union to come up with a better deal.

How is it somehow news worthy that there is a line for this gig?
Retired CPS Teacher

United States

#15 Feb 4, 2009
Yes, I saw my salary information on Champion.org . Too bad that site did not invest in a fact checker. I WISH I made the base salary that was stated on that site. The latest contract states that a teacher with a Ph.D. can earn a maximum of 68K a year after 12 years of service. I suggest you check the ACTUAL salary information before making judgements.
Average Chicagoan

San Jose, CA

#16 Feb 4, 2009
I work in a medical building. I have seen many Chicago Public School teachers fill out "Patient Information" forms.

These are forms that ask you about your symptoms, your medical history, etc.

What I have seen from Chicago Public School teachers is disturbing. Some teachers can barely write a sentence. Some teachers cannot spell simple words.

Yet the teachers' union protects these incompetent teachers. And it is the children who suffer.

By the way, these same "can't write, can't spell" teachers have plenty of money to take vacations all over, including Europe, and own more than one home. And these are supposedly the long-suffering teachers.

It's time that we looked out for the interests of children, not incompetent teachers. Let's clear out the lemons and make way for good teachers to get jobs!
Retired CPS Teacher

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
A 9 month work year.
An 8 hour day.
Great pay.
Ridiculous benefits.
No accountability.
You can't get fired.
When you don't like your pay or benefits, just go home for a few weeks and wait for the union to come up with a better deal.
Actually it 10 months of work
12-16 hours days (of which the first 6 a paid)
Ok pay
Good benefits (I'll give you that)
Daily scrutiny
Little support
Spending your own money on supplies (about $1000 a year)
And a frustrating union.

In short - the working world.
Thomas

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Feb 4, 2009
History May Repeat wrote:
No district has a base salary of 110K! Get your facts straight!
Teachers spend thousands on college just like any other profession. The base salary in most districts on the North Shore is in the 30-35K range. The teachers that make a lot of money teaching have been doing it for over twenty years. After twenty years doing a job anyone should be making a good living. If you compare a person with a MBA to a person with a M.A, the salary is grossly lopsided in favor of the MBA, and teachers don't get bonuses. Same cost, less return!
Sure, teachers get summers off. Ask them if they want the summers off. They don't have a choice. How would you like to be told you're going on a ten week "vacation" without pay. The money teachers get paid over the summer is taken out of their normal paycheck and spread out through summer payments...without interest.
Tenure, another misunderstood term. It DOES NOT mean you are guaranteed a job and can't be fired. It means you are entitled to due process before getting fired. One of the few perks to being a teacher besides discounted admission to museums.
Teachers work hard just like anyone else out there. Stop bashing them. There are exponentially more good teachers out there than bad ones.
Every profession has its bad apples. By diminishing the respect of teachers and education, you diminish the value of education. Doing that is a big step backwards for this country. USA used to be the leader in education, now we're being left behind. If you want to blame the state of education on anything, blame it on politics!
I can in most of your rant, but ask teachers if they want summers off. Hell yes, we live next to two teachers and they spent their entire summers at the pool, tanning and working out. And don't feed us the standard line of teacher BS that they were working on lesson plans and attending seminars.

Teachers have more time off then anybody even doctors and they shouldn't be earning a full year salary. In addition to all summer off, you get two weeks at Christmas another week in spring, plus sick days.

Most people are lucky to get TWO weeks off paid. TWO weeks! My wife gets a whopping 15 days off total for the year.

So please spare us with teachers don't want summers off. I firmly believe teachers should spend all summer working on lessons plans, going to classes, attending seminars. Do something for that full year salary you complain is always to low.
Tom

United States

#19 Feb 4, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
A 9 month work year.
An 8 hour day.
Great pay.
Ridiculous benefits.
No accountability.
You can't get fired.
Exactly. You work nine months a year with a winter and spring break thrown in the mix. Your schedule mirrors your children which is very convenient. You are extremely overpaid and you can't be fired. When getting a municipal job such as a teacher or a fireman becomes equivalent to winning a lottery because there are so many applicants, the city might be overpaying their employees.
murph

United States

#20 Feb 4, 2009
But let's keep telling kids and their parents that a college education is essential to have a successful life. Who cares if students are deeply in debt. This is all about keeping schools of "higher education" in business, and what a business(or racket) it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min OBAMANATION 1,523,184
Cruel or Funny Pranks 25 min AzzHoles 2
I think she is pissed. From a few years ago. 40 min AllPoliticiansLIE 10
Scary Obituary 1 hr Shadow Blast 15
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 1 hr The White Meat 17
A few ITEMS of interest. 1 hr Jocularity is Best 1
Julieanne Zenz 1 hr Julieanne Zenz Ri... 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance