Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#21 Feb 4, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Yes.
<quoted text>Easier said than done.
<quoted text> Once you were in HS, did your parents sign you up for things without your input or your direction? Mine didn't. I could not imagine being fired up about being told, I just signed you up for "xyz".
<quoted text> Great idea if the problem is losing touch with old friends. But that's not the problem here. The problem is starting over with no friends.
<quoted text>Agreed
No, my parents didn't sign me up for things in HS. They didn't sign me up for things in grade school. I'd bring home the permission slip. Different times. Some parents, did, though.

Depends on the kid. Heck, I buy Groupons for my 22 year old kid if I see something I think would be of interest. I only do that on things I know would be an absolute hit, though.

To get you through a time period with no friends at a new town, it might be nice to know you can Skype an old friend to get your spirits up.

Since: Nov 09

Potsdam, NY

#22 Feb 4, 2013
Here's the breakdown for retirement
20 years= 50% of pay averaged over last 3 years of service
You can take a redux at 15 years which we did that will lower that to 40%(redux= advancement on retirement)
30 years= 75% of pay averaged over last 3 years of service whether redux was taken or not
40 years = 100% of pay averaged over last 3 years of service whether redux was taken or not

Hope that helps :)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#23 Feb 4, 2013
That 30 year thing was skipped in the article I found, but the article I found (at military.com ) did have the same info you have here for the 20 and 40 year marks. So 30 years DOES make a big difference, especially if you're close to making it.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#24 Feb 5, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
That 30 year thing was skipped in the article I found, but the article I found (at military.com ) did have the same info you have here for the 20 and 40 year marks. So 30 years DOES make a big difference, especially if you're close to making it.
30 does make a big difference. I've got a little over 4 to go to make it, and I really hope I can hold on that long.
Also, this is the way the kid has lived his entire life, and probably most of his friends, as well. Even the friends with civilian parents - they may not have had to move around, but they have watched friends move all their lives. I lived in a military town when I was young, and new kids in class was the norm, so they were just potential new friends. So much of how kids deal with stuff like this depends on the parents, and I suspect that's true here too. MOM is sick of moving all the time, so she doesn't make any effort to get the kid to see the positive side of things.
The whole family should move. I wouldn't even consider any other option, with the POSSIBLE exception of the kid's senior year, and there would have to be something very special going on to leave him behind then.
Of course, Dad could get a remote assignment to a place where he can't bring the family...guess that would resolve the issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Cheech the Conser... 1,521,013
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 56 min SweLL GirL 10,573
A group of men live and die for their Saturday ... 2 hr Good Woman 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr H Ton 240,295
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 9 hr RACE 2,525
Obumbler Back To Community Organizing 10 hr Time 2 Quit BHO 1
Protest is Treason 10 hr LIQUIDATE-PROTESTERS 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages