Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

DEAR ABBY: I host all of the holiday parties and dinner parties for my family. Whenever I have my parents over, my father insists on helping himself to the top layer of every casserole. He'll scrape all the cheese off the potatoes, the crunchy onion topping off the green bean casserole, etc., leaving just the bare vegetables for everyone else.

I have asked Dad not to do it because it is inconsiderate of the other guests. I can see people are bothered by it, so now they make a beeline to the buffet so they can beat him to it.

Dad got offended when I talked to him about it, but he continues to do it. Mom refuses to get involved, and I have said all I can say. What to do?-- BURNED UP IN ILLINOIS

DEAR BURNED UP: A guest who grabs all the goodies at a dinner party is a hog. Because your father refuses to change his behavior, I will offer a few suggestions: The first is to alter your menu to avoid serving casserole dishes. If that's not possible, make your father his own separate casserole with his name on it, so he can have it all to himself. Or plate the food in the kitchen and stop serving it buffet-style.

DEAR ABBY: Over the past few years, as social media has become more popular, I have noticed a trend among many people. They now favor that form of communication over personal human interaction. This is especially true of my girlfriend of five years.

We have the normal relationship problems I feel could be addressed, but from the moment she gets home from work she's in front of the computer playing Facebook games, posting status updates or messaging "friends." She sits there for hours, lost in her virtual world. We rarely talk anymore, and when we do it turns into an argument because I'm trying to discuss what I see as a serious problem.

The Internet and social media are great tools for bringing worlds together, if they are not abused. But for many people, I think, social media is doing more harm than good. It has depersonalized human contact and has the potential to destroy relationships and isolate individuals.

I'm interested in your opinion and any advice you can give me on helping my girlfriend understand my concerns.-- ALONE IN THE REAL WORLD

DEAR ALONE: People cannot be two places at once. When relationships aren't nurtured, they wither. If this has been going on for an extended period, then it's time you give your girlfriend a wake-up call: You feel abandoned. By spending more time in the virtual world than in the real one, she is neglecting her relationship with you.

Ask her if she would be willing to work on a compromise so that she spends time with you. If she can't do that, and the Internet is giving her everything she needs, then you should find a lady who is willing to give you more of what you need, which is undivided attention.

DEAR ABBY: If a person compliments me on my hair, am I obliged to reveal that it isn't my natural color? I am a henna redhead, and it looks very natural, but my friend who is a natural redhead says I have to fess up. She will even tell people "for me" that my color is "fake." What should I do?-- HENNA REDHEAD IN NEW YORK

DEAR HENNA REDHEAD: Start spending more time with blondes and brunettes than with a redhead who doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut. She is jealous of the attention you're getting.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

L1: make him his own smaller dishes.
L2: dtmfa.
L3:Abby nailed it.
Cass

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

LW3 - If you'd had a boob job, and your friend had a perfectly natural set, would she make you wear a sign "My girls are fake"?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

1- So make him a dish of only baked cheese, onions, and bacon.

2- I used to hate texting when it first came out, now it's my main form of communication. Pull the stick out of your @zz and join the 21st century.

3- Tell your friend to suck your @zz.
not a ghost

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

LW1 sounds fake.

LW2 might be real.

and

LW3 looks like a fake letter, inspired by "I Love Lucy".
Kuuipo

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

LW1: Wow, your dad is rude. Good suggestions from Abby.

LW2: I text and FB more than I should, but when I am out with a friend, I rarely take calls or text others.

LW3: I am a natural redhead and am frequently asked, "Is that your NATURAL color?" I asked some brunette friends if that ever happens to them and they said "no". The fact is that red hair is unusual and inspires people to remark upon it. You are under no obligation to discuss your hair coloring routine. And your friend is a jealous witch.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

I'm a natural redhead. You should see my kindergarten picture. I look a little like Melissa Gilbert from Little House. But as I've gotten older, it's gone more auburn/brown, but with red highlights. Even when I color my hair brown, the red comes through. Now it's turning grey at the temples, so I have to color to cover the grey, more so than to just dye my hair a different color.
Your friend is JEALOUS. Frankly, my friends would like it if I got complimented. We want each other to be happy, we want the best for each other. Your friend wants to tear you down.
She is no friend.
Kuuipo

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I'm a natural redhead. You should see my kindergarten picture. I look a little like Melissa Gilbert from Little House. But as I've gotten older, it's gone more auburn/brown, but with red highlights. Even when I color my hair brown, the red comes through. Now it's turning grey at the temples, so I have to color to cover the grey, more so than to just dye my hair a different color.
Your friend is JEALOUS. Frankly, my friends would like it if I got complimented. We want each other to be happy, we want the best for each other. Your friend wants to tear you down.
She is no friend.
HA! You are my lost twin. When I was in 3rd grade, my hair was flaming red and I have the pics and vids to prove it. My hair also went auburn as I matured and I admit that I cover the gray, too. When people ask me if this is my natural color, I say yes. Because in my life, I have had every shade of red hair color that exists, from strawberry as an infant/toddler to auburn as a woman. I used to hate it, but I love it now. Now the freckly skin I have never come to love.

Friends are people who have your best interests at heart and always have your back. Anyone who does not fall into that category is an acquaintance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy 7-24 5 min loose cannon 19
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 min andet1987 4,554
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min RoxLo 1,079,647
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 17 min Beno Kaka Inhere 174,598
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 26 min JOEL 68,371
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 34 min voice of peace 67,924
Abby 7-24 58 min Pippa 42
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Mister Tonka 97,524
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••